1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going label-free

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by ChromeNerd, Apr 18, 2014.

1. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I kind of give up on labeling myself, but I can't really stay label-free. I think that I'm gay for a bit and then I start thinking that label is too limiting. Then I start panicking about being bi and I go back to being label-free.

2. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Come to think of it, even when I was living under the assumption that I was 100% straight, I never consciously identified as such, or felt any sort of connection with others of a similar orientation. It was taken for granted, not really thought about, and definitely not a strong part of my identity.

Some might disagree, but I think this is a lot healthier approach than letting it define you, entirely. My sexuality is not me, just a part of me, and while my understanding of it is subject to change in the future, *it* would have always been there, just waiting to be understood and embraced.

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ...just be careful that being going `label-free` isn't itself a label...

4. helperman

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I myself never found a use for labels. I am me. That's my label. If other people don't like it, that's not my problem because they aren't living my life. I know it sounds selfish, but in a world that's hung up on identity it's nice to have some liberation...even if you keep it to yourself.

5. ArthurOK

ArthurOK Guest

I used to like labels. I used them almost like a crutch, emotionally and aesthetically. I once I found a label I mostly identified with, I would go by it. Simple, right? Not for me. I was rough around the edges. I was not made to fit into one category. I used to try to change myself to fully conform to the status that I was trying to appear as. And by doing so, I lost a lot of myself. I was a hodgepodge mismatched quilt of a human. I tried to fit into a tank that could never hold my volume. But nowadays, I stay generally unlabeled, but when I am explaining gender presentations to someone who is misinformed, I toss out genderqueer and maybe MOC a few times. I have learned throughout my very queer journey through life that there is a place for labels. But daily life isnt it.