1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I even get a choice?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by gaynerd64, Apr 20, 2014.

1. gaynerd64

I am having trouble figuring out whether me being gay is a choice I am able to make or not. I remember having attractions to guys before I even knew what the word "gay" meant, I don't recall making a choice on that. I am not really sure...

2. IsThisAName

It is not a choice. If you were to try and ignore/"get rid" of your feelings for men, they'd still be there, regardless of whether you chose to pay attention to them. I thought I was gay when I was 16 but suppressed it because I didn't want to be gay. Here I am, almost 5 years later, and I'm still gay. I tried to date guys but I just couldn't. You can't change it, but I totally understand that sometimes you might feel like you wish you could be straight. I have those days. I think we all do. Being straight would be a hell of a lot easier sometimes. But there is nothing wrong with who we are, and this is the only way we know how to love and be happy, so embrace it! :slight_smile: (*hug*)

Also, to answer your question more directly, many scientists believe being gay is in your genes--it is biological and something you were born with.

3. RainbowMan

All of the reputable literature points to the fact that you indeed do not have a choice in your sexual orientation, nor is it influenced by your upbringing (popular theories include having an overbearing father figure, among other

While some of these theories might be popular among some people, there has been no reputable scientific studies pointing to the fact that sexual orientation is a choice that is made by the individual or influenced by their parents or others in their lives.

BTW - love the avatar :slight_smile:

4. Clay

Ha no it's not a choice.

5. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

Speaking just for myself, I tried to suppress/change my proclivities for over 20 years. And I'm sure I set a world's record for clever, tortured rationalizations along the way. So adding another to the consensus, you can't change them.

You can certainly choose how to deal with them. Any number of scenarios possible. But at the end of the day, regardless of whatever form your coping takes, you will always find yourself sexually attracted to men.

If I had it to do all over again, I would have accepted myself when I was a lot younger. Would have saved a hell of a lot of stomach cells. You are young and it's truly never been a more accepting time for gay folks in the Western world (which is where I assume you are from?). So my advice is to embrace it as best as you can. Happiness to you. :slight_smile:

6. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's not a choice. The only choices are with how you deal with being gay. Such as: are you honest with yourself, or do you live a lie?

I was the same way.

7. IG88

It were a choice, think of all the gay people that would be choosing to be straight just to avoid persecution. That doesn't happen because sexual orientation is something innate.

8. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From my own experiences trying to make myself straight back when being gay made me depressed, I can tell you it was never a choice I made. I believe you are either born that way, or your sexuality is set at a certain point early on in life.

9. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No. It's not a choice, it can't be changed and it can't be prayed away. Nor is there any therapy that will change your orientation. Living with it and loving who you are is the answer.