1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parents didn't believe me

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by GayNurse95, Apr 21, 2014.

1. GayNurse95

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A few weeks ago, I told my parents I was bisexual and they didn't believe it and thought I was wrong. They said I was trying to be cool. However, The full extent of it is that I am full blooded lesbian. But how do I make it clear to them? How can I help them to accept it?
    P.S. we are all very conservative. I am very devoted to my faith and so is my family. I appreciate any help through this tricky process.

2. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Were you telling them that you were bisexual just to test the waters on how they would react?

3. Kiss Da Girl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yeah I dont understand why you would try and come out to them but not as a lesbian ? If I was going to come out . - but im not because we are in the same boat sister. - I would come out completely because knowing my family they would somehow believe that they could force it out of me , and prevent me from liking girls so I would settle down with a man and have what qualifies as a normal family to them .

4. oliro

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Come out as lesbian, and what you hid about yourself, stop hiding. Do stereotypical stuff, and soon, I hope they will believe

5. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just a quick note: Please don't tell them you are bisexual if you aren't. Real bisexuals exist, and it is hard to explain that to people. The label shouldn't be used as a way to "ease the news".

I'm not religious, but i have some gay/lesbian friends who are, and they believe god wants them to be happy, and true love isn't something that should be restricted to heterosexuality.

Peraphs you should try talking to them again, so they realize you are serious? Or, if you aren't having problems with this, peraphs you should just move on? After all, you did came out to them.

With all due respect, but bad idea. Why reinforce stereotypes? That is lying, not coming out from hiding. Coming out means you can be yourself. If you are part of the stereotype, that's ok, but if you aren't, why force yourself to act that way?

Just my 2 cents.

#5 Chiroptera, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  6. GayNurse95

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yyyyeeessss~
    Also cuz I thought I was bi. I was with a guy, but couldn't stop thinking about girls. Cute girls.

7. Kiss Da Girl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I can preach that being with a guy doesnt mean your attracted to them. Hence the reason I have been with one in my whole life. I'm going to be honest when I say I think most people go for guys at first because thats whats supposed to be normal even if its not what they want..

8. GayNurse95

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay, this is whats going on.
    I thought I was bi Because I was with a guy and did like guys a bit at one point, but I liked girls more. Now, I am full blooded. I just figured it out and I'm happy. Also, I do all the stereotypical stuff and my dad hasn't picked up. At all. I did it all my life and never really realized it.

9. Kiss Da Girl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Why do you say stereotypical stuff there is no one specific way to be a lesbian . Are you trying to say you fit your dads idea of a lesbian ?

10. Cap’nSerious

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I understand… I just wanted to point out just because you like girls more than guys doesn’t make you any less a bisexual ( it is almost never 50/50) I am a 4 on the scale and if anything I am closer to a 5…

11. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I completely agree with PinkLover. Being bisexual is almost never 50/50. I find myself sexually and physically attracted to girls, but sexually, physically, and romantically attracted to guys. Basically, I have a thing more for guys, but I still like girls. If you like girls, but still have a thing for guys, just not as strong as it is for girls, then you are most likely bisexual. But you don't have to put a label on things, unless you really want to. (I realize that sounded a little all over the place, but I'm sure you understand what I mean :wink:)

As for your situation, once you have figured out completely whether you identify as lesbian or bisexual, then you should sit your parents down and have a serious conversation and let them know that you are completely serious and that you are not doing it just to be cool. You love who you love. There's no way you can be wrong about that!

P.S. If it is a religious thing with your parents, maybe try to find a gay-friendly parish and have your parents talk to the priest there? That's only a suggestion if it does happen to be a religious thing. If not, then disregard this :slight_smile:

#11 Young Blood, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  12. Agaetis Byrjun

Like short hair, baggy clothes, being really into sports? Between playing the part and telling them you're bi, and they don't believe you, they're starting to sound really oblivious. It doesn't sound like something they can dismiss as something you're just saying to attract guys, or any of those nasty biphobic stereotypes.

But they may be refusing to believe you because they're in denial. Maybe they do notice, but don't want to. But all I can say is, think of how long it took you to figure yourself out and come to terms with it. Your family is going to take just as long. You may have thought long and hard about this privately, but to them, it will seem all of a sudden, it will be easy to write off as just a phase. I don't really have the experience dealing with religious belief or homophobia in the family, but maybe you could think of how you came to accept yourself, and share that with your family to convince them that being gay isn't all that bad? It won't be easy, but you're off to a good start, and sounds like you're confident about this. And really, that's half the battle.