1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not sure if I was born gay but I like the same sex

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by NicoletteChris, Apr 21, 2014.

1. NicoletteChris

This has been causing a whole lot of anxiety in my life lately.

Let me start off by saying I've been interested in girls for a while now. It started when I fell in love with a friend of mine and since then I've been pursuing girls and since then I even got into a long distance relationship with a girl (which ended but I loved it) and flirted with some girls online. I really love girls and hope that this is not some phase or whatever. I want to even marry a girl someday and when I think about being in a relationship with a girl I get this amazingly happy feeling inside me.

With that being said prior to liking my friend I was really into boys, now I don't care for them at all. I feel so terrible because I remember clearly as a child having crushes on boys ad a few sexual one's in middle school. I know a lot of gay people who say their attraction started very early or they just knew they were different. I feel so horrible that I never expirienced any childhood attraction to the same sex and it's causing me magor anxiety. At the same time though I didn't wake up suddenly liking girls. It developed slowly with that first crush.

Is this normal?

2. twizt

I think it is "normal", yes. You being into boys when you were younger could be because of social pressure to conform and that was what was expected of you. It could also just be because you like boys too. You made it sound like you don't like boys at all anymore though? The process you speak of slowly developing a crush on a close friend (or new acquaintance) is a typical pattern. That's how most people learn they are different no matter what age. For example, I was in the 1st grade when I knew I liked girls...because there was this one particular girl who I just adored. And I realized (in my 6 year old way of course) that I wanted to kiss her...on the lips...and that's only what you want to do if you want to be a couple with them. So even though it was when I was young, it still developed from that bond with one person in particular and grew from that.

3. Daniel003

I thought i was into guys when i was younger
    I just later realized that it wasnt the same to me not like how i feel about girls
    And it took me a long time to realize i didnt like guys
    And i dont believe there is such thing as 'normal' so no but that is fine

4. Camerooon

I think I always kinda knew I was different, and I've had girlfriends and stuff before. It wasn't until around puberty that I realised that I was attracted to guys. I think it's kinda normal to not realise that you're gay until puberty or even later, and it can be quite a confusing thing. You're totally normal, don't worry. :slight_smile:

5. NicoletteChris

Thanks for all the help guys I just wish I could hear more from people who have been through similar like me!

6. newfish

Yep, I went through exactly the same thing. It gave me a lot of anxiety, as if I'd somehow convinced myself I was gay, but seeing people post some of the same experiences has helped me with it.

7. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Children often try to act like their role models. In a mainly hetero world, it's easy for someone to assume they're straight like most people they know. You were probably expected to be straight too. This makes it very hard for someone to admit to theirself that they're gay: they recall having romantic/sexual feelings for the opposite sex when they were younger, so it leaves them unsure if they're actually gay or just bi or whatever. I remember as recent as two years ago wanting a boyfriend and such, but that's not what I want now. Once it occured to me that I could be attracted to girls, I started to realize that I was, and after that I never thought of guys the way I did before. Because that's when my sexuality began to really develop. You could be similar to that, so don't feel alone. ^^

I think you were born gay, but simply were not able to realize it when you were young.

8. NicoletteChris

15 wasn't the first time I felt sexually attracted to/liked the idea of having sex with a girl when I was 13 I had an older lesbian friend online and one time we started online chatting sexually to each other and it went on for weeks haha and I remember she had a gf and her gf was even okay with it and joined in on the chats oh my

But I was embarrassed at 14 by the chats and was afraid that boys would find out I liked girls and think I wasn't into them or something but 13 is when I first began questioning myself a bit/having my first small feelings. But it wasn't full on till 15.

9. the haunted

I totally get you on that. I'm 22 and going through my first major girl crush right now. As a teen I liked to talk dirty with girls online but never wanted to date them. Now I would date a female for sure. I feel left out when people say that they "always knew" :/

10. NicoletteChris

Aw I feel the same way too with the whole left out thing but when I find other people similar to me I feel happy :slight_smile:

11. the haunted

It's definitely difficult trying to find people in my shoes. Especially ones who have a boyfriend while they're questioning -_- Just joined yesterday and I'm pretty happy with what all I've read so far. I don't feel so much alone anymore :slight_smile:

12. 4everkop

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I know EXACTLY what you are going through. I'm going through it myself. When I was younger I liked looking at boys but girls as well. Once I remember asking my older sibling if being gay was okay, and she gave me the typical Christian response. So then I never really pursued it. I lived a straight acting life, it wasn't hard because girls were attractive to me, as well as boys. But boys were very far and few in between. It wasn't until my 20's that I really got into those feelings of liking boys, even then I really fell for 2 girls. I mean really thought I loved them like a boyfriend could, but looking back I liked their companionship and I can't imagine marrying a woman. So a part of me is struggling with these questions"Are you making yourself gay?" "Why did you ever like girls or sleep with them?" But I remind myself that I really see myself with a boy in the long run, and to simply love.

13. NicoletteChris

I think that's a good thing to remind yourself of :slight_smile:

14. 4everkop

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I tend to think so! :grin: