1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will dating make me feel more secure in my sexuality?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by ChromeNerd, Apr 26, 2014.

1. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not secure in my sexuality. I want to start dating because I want to have more experience. I'm not out to enough people to meet people in real life so I think my only option right now is online dating.

The only problem is that I have to get rides from people. That will probably get the whole household involved with my sexuality.

They will probably gossip about my sexuality and out me to people who I would never out myself to. I'm not even ready to be out because I'm not even sure of my own sexuality!

Is online dating the best way to feel secure about my sexuality or is there a better way? I've already tried to "wait and see", but that hasn't really worked for me.

2. rainmustfall

rainmustfall Guest

I find that online dating has never once worked for me. I form attraction over a long period of time if at all. If you don't have a car and you don't feel safe dating someone locally that can put you in a quandary. I found that as a demisexual trying to date the way a lot of other people do is an exercise in frustration that just hurts my self esteem. I mostly focus on friendships and try and keep an open mind. I don't know what to give for advice, but I found security came with self acceptance, not of my sexuality but of me as a person. Accepting that I don't know everything about myself and I can't assume I do helped a lot.

3. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I just find it hard to accept myself in general.

4. JohnR772

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    You need to just talk to people about this. You'll never be happy until you can be with who you want and not have to have a huge discussion about it. We're only here for so long so do what you feel is right.

5. rainmustfall

rainmustfall Guest

If you can't accept yourself, then think carefully about dating. In order to care for other people loving and caring for yourself is essential. You are far more likely to get hurt and not be able to cope with the result.

6. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't really understand your post.

---------- Post added 26th Apr 2014 at 09:03 PM ----------

I don't think I'll start any serious relationships any time soon. I'm just planning to casually date.