1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having a hard time accepting myself

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by GayNurse95, Apr 30, 2014.

1. GayNurse95

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am a lesbian who has reconciled with her lesbian side. I am also comfortable with my faith and sexuality, which is super important to me.
    However, home isn't too accepting. I came out to my dad Thursday of last week and his face turned red. He has become a bit distant with me since then. And it kinda hurts.
    I;m not allowed to wear my rainbow band in the house, or any gay propaganda outside my room in my home. My step mom has the same view.
    I talked to my counselor about it, and she thinks it has something to do with embarrassment or shame. It may be true, considering he is a counselor at the church. And I'm not allowed to wear my band there either. He appreciates it when I don't wear it. My church looks down on homosexuality.
    Anyway, I find it a little hard be secure with myself as a lesbian. I tried changing, but it didn't work.
    Anyway, I really need some help with accepting who I am around unaccepting people. All advice is welcome.
    :help::help::help:

2. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First, congratulations, you were brave enough to come out.

About your parents, peraphs this can help you: Empty Closets - Parent and Family Stages of Grief

Also, remember that you aren't doing anything wrong by coming out and accepting who you really are. If your parents aren't accepting this (at least for now), that's because our society contains this prejudice.

Be open if they want to talk or ask questions, but don't hide yourself.

Scientifically speaking, you can't change your orientation.

There is nothing wrong about it, however. It is perfectly ok to love someone.