1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there any masculine guys who prefer feminine/effeminated guys?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by prettybit4, May 3, 2014.

1. prettybit4

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm 17 and always think of myself as slightly effeminated, although many around me thinks I'm just a gentle, soft-spoken guy. I mean I'm not sassy or loves to gossip but I'm not a rough & tough dude either. I hang out with girls a lot because I find a lot in common with them and I get along with girls easier than to compare with boys.

So one day I was just surfing through a gay dating site, and found this 'masc 4 masc' thing on their bio, indicating that they refer themselves as masculine and only want to date masculine guys. It annoyed me that some of them had even stated that they didn't want 'sissies', yadayada. I became enraged to these internet guys with their behavior. So I told my friend that I hated these kinds of guys.

Then she said something that sounded like this. "Duh, you guys are gay, of course you want masculine guys. You can't blame him." And I argued a little bit more, but then she asked me to be honest to myself. "What kind of guy would you choose? Of course you want a real man." And to be honest, of course I would prefer masculine guys, but because of a whole different reason. I'm naturally a clumsy and accident prone kind of guy and am always fascinated to the idea of a protective boyfriend who can take care of me. I'm not a brave person so I need someone who is to have my back if something happen to me.

But it didn't right to feel that way -- I had this fear that once I had already reached my adulthood, no guys would date me because I wasn't masculine enough; because gay guys prefer guys. Like I always thought that no gay guys would want an effeminated guy; what's the point of dating a guy who acts like a girl? And as a guy who identifies myself as feminine, I sometimes hated myself for thinking like that and yearning masculine guys -- if all gay guys are drawn to masculine dudes who act like a man, what about gay guys who is naturally effeminated? Would there be any guys interested in them?

I always noticed that effeminated guys would always be with effeminated guys in the internet social media (Instagram, YouTube, etc.), and vice versa. There was no role model to look up to where a masculine guy could date an effeminated guy and be okay with it. So the longer I contemplated around this thought, the more I tried to force myself into liking feminine guys. It was as if I was feeling bad for them, like I have to learn how to be a strong protective guy so I could date them in the future, you know? I sort of pushed myself into forgetting my yearning for having a protective boyfriend because of this thought, like I have to BE THE PROTECTIVE BOYFRIEND and if I didn't become the 'masculine' guy who would choose a feminine guy one day, then no masculine guy would be with a feminine guy forever. But in the end of the day, I can't lie that I am still preferring the masculine kind of guy, and it makes me feel sooooo so bad and selfish.

I hope what I'm trying to say makes sense. Please tell me that I'm wrong, that I'm still too young and human beings are diverse. but honestly I rarely hear any gay guys who prefer his man to be slightly feminine. I don't know but this scares me.

2. Kabuki

There are masculine gay guys that like feminine guys. That is not really my case though. I can understand why you feel horrible about it, but everyone haves a type, and yeah, some guys like feminine guys, and some don't.

In my case, being bisexual, I kind of go to the extreme ends. Like I love femme girls and masculine guys(there are some exceptions though). I'm not trying to offend anyone, and this is a very personal view of mine, but if I want to be with someone feminine I would go for a girl, if I want someone masculine then I guy is what I'll look for.

But to answer your question. Yes there are. And don't feel bad about liking masculine guys, some guys like feminine guys because they want someone to protect. So your reasons for liking them is not far off, as some actually want someone to protect and maybe they find feminine guys to fill that description.(not always obviously)

3. Linux Lenny

I am sure that there are guys who like feminine guys . It depends on the personal view so please dont try to change yourself and be someone else just to "fit" .
    You will find someone who loves you the way you are :slight_smile:

4. Jorgim

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm like you. I get turned off by big masculine guys. I prefer a more slender body type on both genders.

5. newfish

I'm a pretty feminine guy that prefers feminine guys. But it's weird, because I'm attracted to feminine guys but I still would want to be sort of protected. For instance, I would want him to have his arm around my should, not the other way around. I just also imagine him looking and acting feminine.

6. Gen

Gen

There are two sides to this and I will speak about your feelings specifically in the second one.

The scenario that you saw on those dating sites is an extremely common one. There is this idea that since homosexual males are notoriously portrayed as camp in the media, then femininity in males must be a glorified characteristic in the gay community, but this couldn't be further from the truth. The issue lies, partially, with the fear of anything unmanly that is instilled in most males to some degree within our society. Homosexual males often deal with those issues more prominently because being gay is commonly seen as weaker and more womanly, so there are a number of gay men who feel obligated to magnify their masculine to counter stereotypes.

The issue also lies with the drastic misconceptions that exist in regards to expression in our society. The assumptions that a 'feminine' male is this sassy, flamboyant creature who crossdresses and paints their nails. (Not that there is anything wrong with those people, I've found many of them to be very interesting and charismatic). In reality, 'femininity' is literally the expression of a soft, gentle demeanor. It has nothing to do with neck-rolls or eyeliner; it is quite literally an innate nature of an individual. That's all.

Moving on to the second side of this topic:
    Let me start off by saying that there is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to be with a guy who makes you feel safe; however, I have to say that if I were about to jump into a brawl, I would pick my feminine friends, especially the ones who actually are flamboyant or camp, to join because they are truly the ones who will cut some throats with me.

We as a society have to move beyond attributing masculinity to be protective, strong, and dominant and femininity to be weak, fragile, and submissive. Everyone is unique in their own ways and we can't accurately draw lines between ourselves based strictly on expression. Some people naturally want to protect; some people naturally want to be protected; but no one should feel as though they have to turn into a hunk to date someone feminine, nor will they automatically be looked after by a hunk with someone masculine. It just isn't so.

Brandy Bee likes this.
  7. lowkey

lowkey Guest

i think some feminine guys are cute. the hottest gay guy i know of is feminine and its because of his personality.

8. DinoWine

DinoWine New Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I prefer feminine gay guys, I am more masculine but am a tad effeminate. You don't need to feel selfish! Honestly there are plenty of masculine gay guys who like effeminate guys! Everyone has a preference but if you truly love someone then it doesn't matter how they act

9. lowkey

lowkey Guest

i think people get caught up in labels... feminine isnt an exact personality, neither id masculine. everyone is different. some people are feminine with an ugly or hor personality, and same with mascline types. you never know who you will end up liking in your journey.

10. prettybit4

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Have to agree on this. I guess the society makes me so shallow, especially living in a country where it is religious so homophobia is pretty much common. BUT this is what the society, even the gay community, doesn't understand.

It's just so painful that the GLBT community who's supposed to be supportive and accepting starts to put people on smaller boxes: feminine, masculine, etc etc. I hope this part of the community will change, though.

11. allcoolkidsdoit

Hey, honestly it's a big world and you'll find people with a wide array of preferences. Some gay guys like masculine guys, some don't. Don't feel too bad for yourself. I'm a pretty masculine guy (if I do say so myself) but only because my friends are guys and I like being a guy. The only difference is that I'm into guys as well. I'm pretty lucky to have straight friends who don't really care who I date. They even go as far as telling me if some dude is no good for me or whatever.

Personally, I prefer guys who are really comfortable with themselves. If they're effeminate, who cares? Your personality is what I'm after and even if you're girly (so to speak) it doesn't matter. It's probably an unpopular opinion but I recommend just be yourself.

By the way, I may not have preference over masculine or effeminate guys, but I found that most guys I date are generally effeminate and the masculine gay guys end up only becoming my friend.

12. Rumpletubb

I have a quite manly bi friend who always ends up with more effeminate guys. He likes to hold someone, more than being held.
    I think that's quite common.

Don't fret, sooner or later you will find someone who fits you perfectly.

13. tulipinacup

I understand what you're coming from. I can see why it enrages you that these so-called macho men would prefer other macho men as well since I know a couple of these people online who don't even identify themselves as gay but straight.

There's nothing wrong with wanting a boyfriend who is there to protect you. I've always wanted that as well. Like you, I also prefer guys who are very masculine than me (though i wouldn't say i'm effeminate) but I learnt not to care about these things when I met my ex-boyfriend. Sure he's taller than me but his personality what drawn me over him and his sense of making sure everything is all right despite that he's skinnier than me. (he actually bulked up now)

14. prettybit4

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    But you see, that's what I thought before: all gay guys wanted a boyfriend who protect, because we like men, and that's the idealized figure of a man; protective and strong. If every gay man in the world wishes for this stereotypical figure of a man, a protector, then no gay men will find a date.

I think I was just wrong. Maybe I still don't understand the instinctual act of men, straight mostly, where it's in their nature to be the protector in the relationship. Like what drives them to be the protector, because in my perspective alone it feels good to have someone holding your back, but what about these so-called protective macho men? Why are they doing that, what are the urges that lead them to be protective?

15. MfromA

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    It is never "wrong" to be attracted to anyone who is an adult human being. Unfortunately, we have little conscious choice over who we are attracted to, so don't expect that to change as a result of any effort on your part.

I too am curious about how attractions typically go for gay men. Is it more normal to be attracted to the someone similar to you or someone different?

I tend to like guys who are fairly similar to me in terms of masculinity. So if the norm is "like-attracts-like" as the OP describes, I'd be fairly well off.

However, an "opposites attract" scenario would be better for the OP but worse for me.

16. chrisyboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It varies, I like both masculine guys (never into the muscly stuff though) and the fem guys. But I'm a bottom and most feminine guys are I'd say bottoms

17. Riddick

Riddick Guest

All cabbages are vegetables but, not all vegetables are cabbages.
    All mucho protective men are men but, not all men are macho protective men.

What matters is happiness. You said you worry ("feel sorry") for the feminine gay men, (because you're one of them) well you're not "all" of them. So, worry about your happiness and not there's dude.

Finding that one person you love and being hqappy with them, isn't that what matters? Or are you still roaming the plains and testing the waters? Lol, anyway, I get it.

I firstly typed against what you are saying that "masculine gay guys aren't attracted to feminine gay guys." Then I slowly realised I agree with you... But just because its rare that masc gay guys will be attracted to fem gay guys... It doesn't mean its totally impossible.
    In most gay relationships (forgive my ignorance) but isn't there a "a bottom" and "a top"?? Where usually the bottom is the feminine (submissive) one of the relationship and the top is the masculine (controlling) one. So my point is, even in a masculine on masculine gay male relationship there is the man who is even just a bit feminine, the one who is usually more submissive in the relationship.

Its like underestimating a feminine guy and saying, oh anyone can take that guy in a fight because he is a sassie/ girly type of guy... My point is feminine guys can have a little masculinity in them and masculine guys can have a little femininity in them too... Hence being the answer to your question. YES it is possible for masc gay men to be attracted to fem gay men. Hope I expressed my opinion well and that this will make you understand better.

#17 Riddick, May 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2014
  18. mangotree

It's true that it's more common for guys to fancy other guys that are "similar" to them. (Masc/Masc, Fem/Fem, Twink/Twink, Bear/Bear etc..), but there are quite a few guys out there that prefer their opposite.

Personally, I'm a tall, broad, rugged type but I'm usually physically attracted to slim, skinny type guys. If they have masculine traits, it doesn't necessarily turn me off, but if they're a bit fem - I see it as a good thing - because in my eyes I think it's very brave to be outwardly gay or flamboyant and I often take it as a sign that they're comfortable with who they are.

I have at least 3 friends that are in the same (but opposite) boat, they're either skinny or hairless or a bit camp but they prefer big, burly, manly men. They've all had (some still have) romantic or sexual partners that they adore and who adore them back and so have I.

I will admit that it is a little bit harder to find mutual attraction when your "type" is very unlike yourself, but it does happen.
    The trouble is that the norm is same likes same, so if a masc guy sees a fem guy in a bar (for example) and finds him attractive, his first thought will be that the fem guy prefers similar guys to himself. The only way to break that is sometimes to be brave and approach people you're attracted to no matter what your preconception is.

If you're up for a laugh, look up "Boyfriend Twins" on google and look at the t***lr site of guys that look like their boyfriends.

Opposites still do attract - even in the gay world - so keep faith.

Peace be with you.

19. KazTastic

I know a number of same sex couples where one person is masculine, and the other is feminine. From my experience, they're more common than masc x masc or fem x fem couples. I only see that form of prejudice on those hookup apps.

I'm probably more masculine than feminine, and I'm more attracted to feminine men than masculine (as long as they don't act like one of the popular girls from high school), especially those with a petite frame.

However, since I make Jabba the Hutt look like an anorexia patient, I know my place in the world of relationships - which is far far away from it.

20. prettybit4

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you go to the comment section of this YouTube video, you'll see that a comment by a user named Paul Todd, and he said this:

See, even the gay people in the community itself is behaving like this, like how can you expect me to seek help from the LGBT people if the community itself is behaving like this? Why is that you HAVE to be masculine or whatever that is to not bring shame to the community?

This is depressing and I know deep down one of you might agree with the comment above, in fact if you click on the replies you see many gay people in fact has agreed to what Mr. Paul Todd says. This is disgusting, and I'm so afraid. So afraid of my future if one day I can finally come out and join the gay community.

#20 prettybit4, Jun 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2014