1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it okay for me to identify as gay?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by ChromeNerd, May 4, 2014.

1. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I feel way more comfortable identifying as gay that bi. It feels more right. The problem is I get weird feelings of attraction towards guys. Those are feelings are most likely caused by OCD and empathy.

2. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can choose to identify as what ever you feel most comfortable with and relates to your feelings and situation personally. Everyone is unique and the labels are pretty generalised, so use whatever you like....

Happy days :slight_smile:

3. jargon

It sounds like frankly you're still uncertain exactly what your sexuality is. At this point in your life, its really OK for you to not take on a definite label right now. I've always felt that when in doubt explaining your sexuality rather than labeling it is a good move.

It absolutely is OK for you to identify however you want, but be aware that there is sometimes a stigma around changing your identity label if you aren't sure. While that's unfortunate, it is something to be aware of.

4. Silvermoon

Silvermoon Guest

I think it depends on your preference for relationships and what feels more right to you.

Personally I identify more as lesbian or queer despite very occasional attractions to guys because:
    1) I prefer sex and relationships with women.
    2) I get a better connection intimately with women.
    3) I want a long term committed relationship with a woman and not a man.
    4) The points above take priority over any attraction I'd have towards a man.

It is about your choice: discovering inside what you want and how you see yourself in the future and then matching it with a description that represents it to the outside world. I guess the 'is it ok' part of your question comes from feeling that you need to be honest about yourself to others: you can do that by modifying your profile/ telling people in person that you are queer, or homoflexible, etc.

Personally 'bi' never felt right to me because it made me feel like I ought to 'be open' to relationships or sex with men, when I did not want it.

5. lowkey

lowkey Guest

OP, right now you are in limbo, as soon as you let go, and the more you let go of these 'what ifs' your left with what you are. and there is More Happiness on the journey of what you are, then the journey of being afraid, caught in limbo, dreaming of an alternative life like the daily media fed to you says