1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

struggling closeted femme lesbian, has anyone been here??

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by notyourhoneypie, May 5, 2014.

1. notyourhoneypie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm 21 and graduating from college and I've been trying to avoid the fact that I'm a lesbian for a year and a half...but it's starting to come out against my will when I'm drunk. In high school I never in a million years thought I was a lesbian. I always talked about girls being hot but I was clueless, I had a boyfriend and I liked him. BUT ITS SO DIFFERENT NOW and I can't stop thinking about girls. I met this one girl and kept finding myself going out of my way to make her smile. Like I'd do anything, make any weird joke, essentially make a fool out of myself just to make her laugh. Every time we go out I can't stop looking at her and wondering what her skin feels like and she's my friend, I feel like such a perv!!! To try to drown the feelings I just drink more and end up blacking out and doing more inappropriate shit. I wake up after nights out with all our friends HATING MYSELF and wonder if anyone noticed or thought it was weird that I kept touching her. She just thinks I drink wayy too much...

I'm so ashamed of these feelings and how I'm dealing with them, it's like constant shame I'm carrying around on my shoulders and it's HEAVY and isolating. Guys have always liked me and I know what to do with them but I feel like a girl would never find me attractive I’m so out of my element here it’s scary.

I also want to be a mother eventually so badly too and I feel like this just makes everything harder. I don't know much about the lesbian community but from what I've read it's harder for 'femme' lesbians and it makes me feel like I'll never find someone and it's terrifying. I just want to find a girlfriend who’s like me who will wear dresses with me, cuddle with me and let me kiss her neck and let me be the big spoon.

To cope I've basically been living in fantasies inside my head and have been taking adderall to get out of my own head and get through social situations/schoolwork. I can't live this way, it's making me depressed and I sleep a lot and eat terribly which my roommates have noticed. I'm worried the depression from this will keep me from accomplishing everything I want to after college. I want to be confident and know the answers to some of this stuff and stop hating myself and carrying around this shame before I come out but I also want to get on with it and get a girlfriend because this is isolating and lonely as fuck. I'm sorry for this super long pointless post but I had to get this out because I don't want to keep hiding who I am--that's never been my style-- but the shame and insecurity are getting too hard to keep in and I just want someone to tell me I'm not going crazy. Has anyone been here???

2. BnyLava

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know what you mean here for sure. Im such a goof ball and even more so around her. I'm not sure what I am yet but I can tell you, even though I'm a bit younger than you, I know what you mean. I'm not totally femme (more of a tomboy). I'm just torturing myself by flirting but girls do that anyways, I think if you are ready and that you know she might like you or care about you, you should tell her so you don't destroy yourself. I wish you luck and hope that you find your answers.

3. Alehkz

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    What's the worst that could happen if you accepted yourself, came out, and cleaned up your act a bit? Maybe you'd like your life a bit more and attract.someone worthy of your courage and self discipline? Its not easy, but girl, you're going through a lot of unnecessary hurdles, in my humble opinion. And not healthy hurdles either. :/ you have both the question and the answer. I hope getting it out of your chest can clear some of it up! You can do it!

4. wanderinggirl

I went through a phase where I had a crush on one (straight) friend and every time we'd get drunk I'd run over to my other friend (who knew about said crush) and told her "Stop me if I'm getting too flirty, it's soooo hard!!" Eventually the crush passed but I wanted that feeling again with another woman.

It was hard acknowledging that I wanted something different from what I had been getting, and that I no longer wanted to sleep with (only) guys. I had to let go of the idea that because I had experience with guys I should keep dating guys forever, just to avoid learning a whole new way of connecting with other humans. (not that it's that different, tbh).

Anyways you have a clean break right now and a fresh start after college, I hope you can take this opportunity to begin self-acceptance. You can define yourself however you want. I had this idea when I finished college that my childhood was over and I was who I was always going to be, and wasn't going to change ever again. Well I quickly realized that it's boring not to change, and that your twenties are THE time for self-exploration, and thank god I'm not the person I was in undergrad!

5. NicoletteChris

Your story sounds way too similar to mine, my first girl crush was on a straight girl friend of mine. Ugh it sucks so much I pathetically pursued her for half a year until she got so uncomfortable she yelled at me but I was so in love I was blinded which I look back at and feel terrible for. I'm femme too and I want all the same thing as you do minus I want to be the little spoon with a girl. But seriously we do exist. If you're looking for a femme girl there are "femme" gay bars I think there's one in Vegas and LA but google it up or maybe there might be femme get togethers and groups in your area. But to make a start try going to your LGBT center and socializing and meeting other gay woman. Best of luck :slight_smile:

6. Emotional love

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are so young - 21! Don't put so much pressure on yourself! Concentrate on passing your exams, eat healthy foods. Get your head together and don't drink too much. Get more involved in the lesbian community, meet some great women and have some fun. Be who you want to be and take the steps in getting there - take control of your life. It will be fine, have faith.

7. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think you need to learn to take a step at a time , you need to learn to accept yourself for now don't worry about attracting girls and what not join a Gay straight alliance club in your school where you can talk to people about how you feel , I really wish i did that back then . I also know the feeling of worrying if girls will find you attractive I worry about it to this day .