1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sapiosexual ... Requirements???

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by literalmerida, May 8, 2014.

1. literalmerida

I am pansexual. Like there's no doubt in my head that I am. I'll date anyone, regardless of sexuality because???? I don't care???? But I am particular about who I'm dating. I like being with intellectual equals, if that doesn't sound too narcissistic. I like attractive people, but I'm not too particular about that one. I've always thought, "80% personality, 20% looks" when it came to dating. I've never... Dated a dumb person. And I guess it's because the types of personalities I like are commonly found in smart people.
    But HERE'S THE THING! At soccer practice, there's this boy who's so totally smart. He's like a genius. He's not HARD on the eyes, but he isn't something to stare at. (Boy, I sound shallow.) I don't know him well enough to say that I totally love his personality too, but I've noticed traits that are good for some people, bad for others.
    I am a realistic person. I don't have a totally negative view on everything (besides myself, i guess) or totally positive. I'm not overly pessimistic or optimistic. This boy though, is a big ball of fluffy optimism. He's really nice about everything, and I mean EVERYTHING. I make a lot of dry jokes, and since he's so smart he gets them! And we have articulate conversations a lot and it's so great talking to someone who's so smart and down to earth... Mmmm... :eusa_danc
    But like I said, he's incredibly optimistic about everything, and so nice. I show myself as a pessimistic person even though I'm really not. I'm also kind of a bitch. I'm incredibly mean. Or maybe I just have low tolerance for stupid people? If that makes sense? Because I'm just seen as mean but I can be nice.
    WOW I'm getting TOTALLY off topic.
    I don't know if I like him for his brain, at all, or what!

TL;DR??? Smart people, me like, sapiosexual preference or what?

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So it sounds like you've found someone you connect with. My advice is to dispense with the ridiculous label and what it means and simply acknowledge that you like the guy and go out with him.

At a certain point, we have to let go of the 20000000000000 labels business because it doesn't help anyone. You like him, he's intelligent. Why does it matter if you like him *because* he's intelligent, or because you feel a connection? What matters is the connection itself :slight_smile:

3. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I'm going to be less so outright rejecting of your proposed label, but... just don't be surprised if no one thinks anything of it.

Feel free to use it, but I'd be inclined merely to do what you're doing, describe your preferences if inclined and leave it at that.

4. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What's sapio-sexual? Like, as in attracted to homo-sapiens?

I'm confused.

5. Dinah

Third star to the right & straight on til morning.
  6. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

Attracted by smart brains, if I'm not wrong.

---------- Post added 8th May 2014 at 08:13 PM ----------

^Yeah

7. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Guess I'm sapiosexual too then..?

Anyway, I wouldn't care that much. Just go for it. Don't overthink it, simply care about the connection you both have. :icon_bigg

8. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Huh, it's funny, but all my life, I've always been considered smart, all As in high school, college, Mr. artsy-latte-drinking-intellectual.

And yet, in some ways, smart people can also be very annoying to me, and I find myself attracted to people with various different qualities that are harder to pinpoint. A sense of humor, a joy in living, a certain energy, a playful quality, somebody who can make me laugh.

My partner is very visually talented and expressive, but he wasn't that good with writing and such in school, and was even held back a grade. But it's not that I'd call him dumb, he's 'smart', but in a different way than me. Looking back over the years, I think another more traditionally 'smart' person would have driven me crazy! :slight_smile:

9. cava

Sapiosexuality is more of a preference than a sexuality. I'm not sure what the question is here.

10. Acm

Acm Guest

I think it's more of a preference in partners than a sexual orientation...a lot of people are like that. I think most people want to be with someone that is intelligent or about equal to them