1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wha do all these labels mean??

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Rainbowchild, May 9, 2014.

1. Rainbowchild

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello friends! Sooo.. question.
    Gay (men generally?) being only attracted to the same sex in every way.
    Lesbian meaning females being attracted to the same sex.
    Bi sexual meaning attracted to both sexes equally. And then there a scale I've seen people rate themselves on?? K(something) & I'm a female who is rarely attracted to males, & only physically attracted to a great personality. I also am extremely attracted to females in everyway. But personality plays a big part as well. I'm not big on labels, but I'd like to be educated on this subject. Am I bi sexual? What's this scale? Please go into detail if you like :slight_smile:

#1 Rainbowchild, May 9, 2014
    Last edited: May 9, 2014
  2. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Kinsey scale is what I think you're thinking of. It was a model for sexuality developed by Alfred Kinsey which views sexuality as a continuum between gay and straight, with most people in-between the two extremes. Goes from 0 (exclusively heterosexual) to 6 (exclusively homosexual). Check it out, and hopefully you'll find a good rating you feel comfortable with. Based purely on your description I might say Kinsey 4 bisexual, but don't take my word for it :slight_smile:

Do you find yourself only being attracted to people you know well or are emotionally attracted to? In that case you could be demisexual (only sexually attracted to people one has strong emotional/romantic feelings for and knows well).

3. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just to expand on the stellar explanation above, homosexuality and heterosexuality are two ends of a continuum. He found that most people fell in between the two and that very few were exclusively one or the other. You can however lean more towards one side than the other :slight_smile: Hope that helped :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 9th May 2014 at 07:35 PM ----------

And one thing to add...being bisexual is being attracted to two genders, not both. Political correctness is all.

4. Hello^^

I'll give you definitions to all the labels I know.

Gay: A male who is emotionally, romantically, and sexually attracted to men. Of course, just like with straight people, they can tell when a woman is good looking, they just don't have any want to date them.

Lesbian: Female who is emotionally, romantically, and sexually attracted to other woman. Again, they can still tell when is a man is handsome - But they don't have feelings towards him.

Bisexual: A person who is emotionally, romantically, and sexually attracted to both genders. They don't have to like both genders equally, as long as in the end, that they will be happy with any gender.

Pansexual: Pansexuals don't see gender as a factor - They are NOT bisexual, but they are attracted to all genders.

Demisexual: A person who can only be attracted to a person they know well or form an emotional bond with (excluding family). Like they can tell when a person is good looking, but can't get any feels from their looks - They HAVE to know them first. A person can be a demi towards one gender but not another.

Asexual: Asexuals have little to no sexual attraction, but many of them still date as far as I know!

Sapiosexual: Attracted to intelligence.

And there are probably more labels out there, but I hoped I helped :slight_smile:

5. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yup, all the explanations here are pretty good.

The Kinsey Scale is meaningful/necessary precisely *because* your definition of bisexual (attracted to both sexes equally) is mistaken. With due respect to Destiny's PC concerns, I'll say "equally" is the main faulty assumption. Bisexuals can be anywhere from "mainly into opposite sex, but would be willing to give same-sex a go" (Kinsey 1) to "mainly into same-sex, but would be willing to give opposite sex a go" (Kinsey 5).

And even more confusingly, for many of us, these interests and willingnesses ebb and flow over time...you might be into one sex for a while, then into the other...or both/either...and these things can shift daily, monthly, every 10 years, hourly, or never (i.e., steady-if-perhaps-biased interest in both)...depends entirely on the person.

Hope that's a helpful amount of detail!

6. all paths

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^Very nicely put, biAnnika. :slight_smile:

7. Reptillian

To understand what X or Y word means, you just basically need to break things up a bit.

X sexual - (Insert your own sexual attraction meaning) + direction of attraction to gender/bio-sex

X romantic - (Insert your own romantic attraction meaning + direction of attraction to gender/bio-sex

Example for Heterosexual

Heterosexual - The state in which one usually experiences inherents wants / desires to engage with members of the opposite sex/gender.

Example for Homoromantic

Homoromantic - The state in which one usually experiences a inherent longing for union/partnership with members of the same sex/gender.

Note: If you look at inherent, this would imply that the only reason which counts to fall under these labels are attraction alone. That would mean that a homosexual can still engage or even want to engage into sexual activity with the opposite sex for reasons like money, ego-boost, sexual stimulation, desperation, and so on. The member sex in which one had sex with does not make up one's sexuality alone.

8. Rainbowchild

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks everyone :slight_smile: this was really helpful!!!