1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Really Confused

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Octavia, May 14, 2014.

1. Octavia

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    So I've been feeling quite confused about my orientation as of late. I'm hoping that posting a thread might bring me a few bits of helpful advice.

About a year ago, my friend showed me a lot of things on Tumblr about LGBT issues and topics. At first I mostly ignored it, as I was/currently am raised in a pretty Christian household. Anything related to this topic were either not mentioned, or were expressed as being weird. However, as time went by, I stopped ignoring the content she showed me, and even started looking up videos and articles on my own. I fell in love with the lesbian community and especially a few YouTubers who posted regularly. Some time after, I began wondering which way I swung. I haven't had any romantic relationships yet, so I have no idea what it's like to be in one. But recently I've been starting to see girls as more attractive than guys. What I'm confused about, though, is whether these are my legitimate feelings, or just due to becoming attached to the lesbian community.

Basically, what I want to know is, am I trying to "trick" myself into being gay?

I've been debating, looking online, and trying to come to my own consensus about my sexuality, but to no avail. Saying that I like girls will simply have people tell me that I'm gay. If i was, I would love being a lesbian, but I don't want to abandon who I really am in order to do so.

Any input would be helpful, thank you in advance. :confused:

---------- Post added 14th May 2014 at 07:55 PM ----------

Oops. Didn't realize this thread had the same title as another. A fault on my part, sorry!

2. newfish

I think I've seen a number of threads with this title.
    Well from what it sounds like you're at least bi, probably leaning to girls.

- Can you imagine enjoying kissing with a girl? With a guy?

- What about sex, again with both genders?

- Being in a relationship? Many bi and gay people tend to think only of being with the opposite gender because society is heteronormative, although this feeling can fade. However, the answer could be helpful.

3. Octavia

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Regarding the last part of your response, in terms of relationships, I feel like being in a lesbian relationship would result in a deeper emotional connection, and one that would be ideal under the right conditions. However, I do agree with your statement that society is heteronormative, and because of that, I can't really picture myself together with somebody of the same gender. When I realistically picture myself in a committed relationship, I can't see myself with another girl, due to society's standards of normal, and my own family's as well. To my knowledge, nobody in my family is gay, or even bisexual.

And by the way, thank you for such a speedy response. :slight_smile: