1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thought I was over this. Getting seriously anxious.

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by wanderinggirl, May 20, 2014.

1. wanderinggirl

Ok so don't judge me buuuttt I recently entertained the possibility of a threesome with this awesome sex-positive dorky funny smart straight couple, we were very compatible personality-wise. However when I thought of the stuff we would do, although it turned me on, the parts I was most interested in were doing stuff to her, and not to him. I was actually surprised because I have had relatively satisfying relationships with guys in the past.

Once I realized I wasn't interested in him at all I let them down easy and now I'm sitting here wondering if I'm fully gay. For the past year and a half I've had fluctuations, but have generally been open to all the options. And now I'm rethinking my idea of my sexuality. I'm almost 26 I should have this figured out by now, shouldn't I??

It's frustrating because I don't even know how to picture my life anymore. I don't want to contribute to the myth of bisexuality being a midway point; nor do I want to ignore that I used to be actually interested in men (or so I thought). But really, when I look at my life i felt freer when I came out and I felt really natural dating a woman and I pretty much only check out other women when I'm out in public. I love queer fashion and culture and I'm a little obsessed with it. I feel like it's too late in life for me to have this shift in sexuality, but it's not something I can ignore. I've asked myself if it's because of bad experiences with guys; and it is partially, but only because I wasn't actually interested in them so I wound up in situations in which I was not comfortable.

How does this whole switch from bisexuality to homosexuality work?? When do I stop obsessing over it?

2. Maybe you are just not interested in this particular guy? Also, some women don't like sleeping with men unless they are in love with them. Maybe this is your case? Or maybe you are bi and float around the spectrum.

3. wanderinggirl

I thought that too, but I'm starting to wonder when the last time I organically liked a guy. Since my attraction to women surfaced, I have not had any genuine attraction to guys, even feeling relieved that I don't have to worry about sleeping with them.

Additionally, not to get into details but I have been somewhat slutty in the past. and if I were demisexual, wouldn't the thought of her also not arouse me until I got to know her?

I went into this thinking it would be fun and nothing serious and a one-time experience I could laugh about later with people; instead I might have inadvertently uncovered my real attractions? I don't know.

4. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    But didn't you on another thread say your actually bisexual , maybe you just don't like this particular guy like the other person said . I don't think you should worry about it not every bisexual person is attracted to every man or woman they see same way I'm a lesbian and not attracted to every woman I meet , Plus don't feel bad for wanting a 3way .

5. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Sexuality is fluid. At this moment in time, you seem to prefer women. You may find it stays like that. Maybe in a few more years, or after a relationship or two with women, you'll swing back to liking men also again. You shouldn't beat yourself up over this. You go with what you're feeling, and live your life. If something doesn't feel like it will work for you, don't dwell on it. Dwelling just leads to missed opportunities and lost time, both of which could be spent enjoying life, and with those who you do feel will work for you.

While this isn't on the same level, it is something easy to think about. Ever notice how a young kid can become so obsessed with, or so into, a toy or medium? They really get into it and enjoy it, and it goes on and on, and never does it seem like it will stop. Then, something else comes along. The kid may still like what he did previously, but the passion has settled on one thing in favor of rising for another.

You're going to like who you like, what you like, and how you like them. It's better to get to that as opposed to denying yourself this. Life is short, and so very precious. Spend it wisely, lovingly. You have nothing to be anxious or worried about, because having conversations with you, I am most confident, that your intelligence and your strength are more than enough, to endure and to be okay.

#5 Kaiser, May 20, 2014
    Last edited: May 20, 2014
  6. IsThisAName

I'm going through the same thing. Thought I was straight until 6 months ago, then realized I liked girls and said I was bi, then began to think I was gay for awhile, and now I'm wondering if I might be bisexual. I wish there was an easy way to figure out but I think you just have to sit back and go with the flow rather than worrying about the label, which really sucks, because knowing the label would make things so much easier.

7. wanderinggirl

Stocking, I did think that and might still think that; I don't know. It's not about the threesome, it's about how I was approaching this hypothetical situation with an open mind and wound up realizing I just wanted to sleep with the girl. The guy was actually incredibly attractive, I just didn't want to sleep with him. So while I understand that it may seem weird that I'm using a threesome to define my sexuality, it's more that I opened myself up to a possible scenario and wound up being not so open afterall... at least at this point in my life...

Kaiser, thanks for your response. It is fluid; however it's been solidifying a bit more lately which is what I've been fixated on. I shouldn't let it take over my thoughts; however, I am at an age where I'm looking to date someone serious, so to some extent it is very important to me right now. LGBT culture is yes, like a new toy that I can play with right now, but just like a kid who plays with legos and builds amazing structures at a young age thus forshadowing her career as an engineer, I think there might be a reason behind certain obsessions. Not all of them; OCD is a very real thing. But oftentimes it's the case.

You bring up the point that so many others bring up: you like who you like. But at some point, you have to start narrowing down the dating field to those who you are more likely to like, and that's a whole process...

IsThisAName, I hear ya! Knowing is easier than questioning. Glad to know I'm not the only one who goes back and forth sometimes. It gets tiresome but it's also important to your life and sense of self. What's the thing that makes you vacillate the most?

8. upfromthedown

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I think it's really unfair that people always try to talk people who have previously thought they were bisexual out of a realization that they could be gay. I understand the hesitation, and the warnings, but just like it's acceptable to question whether you're gay or straight - can't it be acceptable to question whether you're gay or bi? I also don't want to further the stereotype that bisexuality is a stepping stone, but sometimes - it can be, and I don't think that should be negated.

I say all of this because I am in your exact same position. I have fought with my orientation for a very long time. I am 26, and have been identifying as bisexual for years - even though I have had few run ins with girls. When I came out as bisexual, it was because I knew I was attracted to girls, and I knew I felt feelings for them - but I was dating boys, and thought I wanted them.

I've now come to a point where I question where that want comes from. I have issues, (like all of us). My issues tend to come out in an obsession for acceptance and attention from men. Thinking back, every guy I have ever liked or been in a relationship with, I have done so because they wanted me - and I needed a man to want me. But I have never really enjoyed sex with a man. I have gotten off, because I was being touched - but I have always almost settled when I was with men. Like I knew I wanted chocolate cake - but all that was in the room was vanilla and I wanted cake enough that it didn't matter if it was my favorite flavor.

I am a newly recovering addict and I am finding where addiction has crept into other aspects of my life - including relations with men. Now that i'm starting to break down that addiction, I want nothing to do with men. Emotionally or physically - but I still want women. Even more so now.

I have no idea what's going on with me. I understand the sexuality is fluid thing, and I think that is a very real case for a lot of people - but there are those of you out there who do identify as gay, and for you - I would assume you don't feel quite as "fluid". Maybe some of us "fluid" people out here are doing so because in our hearts we're too afraid to settle down into the place we belong.

The point of all of this I guess is, yes, maybe you are just bisexual and not attracted to this guy. But also, maybe there is a reason people like me and you are so hell bent on explaining ourselves out of the box of bisexuality, and maybe we are longing to accept ourselves as actually homosexual, and are longing to have others do the same.

9. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

Are you attracted to other men currently or not at all ?

---------- Post added 21st May 2014 at 10:28 PM ----------

I'm assuming this was directed at me I asked her that because yesterday she told me she was bi and I wanted to know what happened that made her question .

In my opinion I think fluid is bisexual and there is no outside box but because of biphobia today people want to make an outside box so they don't have to identify as bisexual . To me if you have attraction to both sexes no matter how little it is or big your bisexual even you if want to identify that way or not it's your choice . Bisexuality is just attraction to both sexes never says how much you have to like them . And bisexuality is not a stepping stone but some people chose to use it as such when their not sure about their sexuality or in my case when you think your bi but you aren't .

#9 stocking, May 21, 2014
    Last edited: May 21, 2014
  10. fortheloveoflez

Orientations and preferences can change with time. I'm sure you can think of a few things you maybe loved a few years ago but now no longer are keen on. Just do what feels right!

I don't think you are making bisexual people look bad. You genuinely view or viewed yourself as such but now may be discovering that a different identity my suit you. So what? You are being honest with how you feel at x time.

Best of luck!