1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this a common thing?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Tetra, May 20, 2014.

1. Tetra

I'm 99% certain that I like girls (that 1% being I've never actually dated a girl, but judging by my feelings, I think I'm sure). Anyways, the thing is, I don't find typically attractive girls someone that I'd want to be in a relationship with. Like, girls who wear a lot of make-up and look hot to most males (bleach blonde hair, good figure, etc), I can't imagine myself EVER dating (even if they were also gay).

So what I'm asking is, is it common some people to only like girls who have very specific characteristics? For example, someone I can imagine myself dating:
    -short hair
    -enjoys comics/video games/movies
    -cuddly
    -fairly masculine
    But I'd never want to go out with someone who looks "hot" (ie imagine a popular cheerleader from your high school). Isn't it most people's dreams to go out with them? Is this "normal"?

2. wanderinggirl

Cheerleader hot is certainly not my dream. That's why I didn't think I was gay for a long time; the girls who were typically "hot" were not really doing much for me. There are tons of girls who like masculine-of-center women rather than blonde skinny ditzy girls.

It's totally normal.

3. mangotree

Not only is it normal to value different things in prospective dating partners but I'd say you're lucky to be interrested in people who are outside of the "typically attractive" category. Less competition :slight_smile:

Peace!

4. Essaria

You probably just like someone a little more masculine. That's how it is for me in most cases, although, I'm beginning to become more fond of girls with long hair and pretty dresses.

5. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yep, pretty normal. I'm on the same boat. :icon_wink

6. White Knight

Probably with years your preferences will change with age. Also there is love factor.

I never been a fan of tall, dark and handsome camp but my first boyfriend was one... Also to be honest I kinda always found him a bit ugly.

Lesson of the story: Heart wants what it wants. :grin:

7. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It's the same for me. I guess hair length isn't an issue (doing fancy plaits and things in people's hair is kind of a guilty pleasure of mine :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ) but yeah I don't find excessive girliness attractive. And ESPECIALLY not makeup. Tomboys all the way! :grin:

Also being cuddly is a must :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes I'd say that's quite normal. For example, I have a very specific taste in guys (different to my more general taste in girls). I wouldn't see myself with the typical type of guy most girls would be attracted too.

It's ok to have specific tastes in your attractions that aren't the same as everyone else.

Happy days :slight_smile:

9. GeekMonkey

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Totally normal.
    I have a thing for slightly chubby, " hippie" girls, like those who like to wear flowing, colourful clothing, little to no make up etc.
    I don't really like masculine women at all.
    Everyone has their own taste in women/men, just as everyone has their own taste in music or art or movies. That doesn't have anything to do with your sexual orientation really.

10. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

All of those 'hot' girls you described are my biggest turn-off ever.

I prefer women with really dark hair, natural face, and little to no breast tissue; curves don't matter either.

11. wanderinggirl

Actually there have been a few times that I thought someone was really hot, and then they turn around and its' a woman and I was like "damn! they're off-limits because I'm totally straight!"