1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I have been convincing myself I am straight for a long time

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by LunaRC, May 23, 2014.

1. LunaRC

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    This is my first post, and it honestly feels odd to be posting on this website at all. I am going to try and make this post concise.

I don't really even know how to begin. I guess a little about me: I am 23 years old and I have lived in Alabama my whole life, but will be moving out of state to attend seminary in August. I remember times in middle school and high school where I would wonder if I might be gay. I always convinced myself that I would never be gay - regardless of my feelings. I didn't want to be gay. I don't want to be gay. Not because I think there is anything wrong with it - I don't. I think love is love. Love is all that should matter.

I had pushed most of this out of my mind - and figured that I would just deal with my sexuality later- until this past December when my best friend came out to me. My best friend told me that she was going to start dating a girl she had met the previous summer. She had had a pretty serious boyfriend for much of the past 3 years, so I was pretty surprised. I was so happy for her, because she sounded so happy, but also felt upset. Like, really upset. I spent much of the next few days crying (and I am not really one for crying). I think I was kind of jealous. I was jealous of her confidence and her bravery to come out, and I think I was jealous that she was dating a girl that wasn't me.

This was a really hard thing for me to process - because I have been doing an excellent job of convincing myself that I am straight. I can't push it out of my mind anymore. Sometimes I wonder if we could have ever been together - had I been out. Sometimes, I catch myself hoping that one day we will. Which feels weird because I still am not sure if I am gay or straight. But I picture myself being with a woman - and it makes sense. Also wasn't a huge fan of sex with a man. It just felt so....aggressive (no offense guys...)

The thing is - I am terrified of how being anything other than straight would affect my life; of how it would affect my relationships and my career path. It is hard enough being a woman wanting to go in to ministry - but being gay on top of that? Ever since I was old enough to think for myself, I have had very liberal theological, political, and social views - but I have always felt like a tiny blue dot in a big red (state, family, church). What would my family think? My friends? My mentors? My seminary? My employers?

Am I gay? Am I bisexual? Am I straight? These questions have been consuming so much of my thoughts and my life. I don't think I am straight...but I don't know if I am gay either. It all just feels really overwhelming. I am scared to talk about this to anyone in my real life - so I guess I was hoping to just share all of this in a safe space. I guess I don't really have a question - but any and all words of advice are most welcome.

Sorry this was so long.

2. thekillingmoon

It's normal to feel terrified when it's all new to you. I've known that I liked women for a long time now and I'm still scared to come out to my family. You are who you are though, you can't change that. So if you want to date a woman, go for it. You don't have to decide on what to label yourself right away. Find a person being with whom makes you happy. At the end of the day, all that matters is that you live your life how you want to live your life.

3. Jehanna

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I wish you were in my parish and could talk to my pastor about this. You're not alone.

I think killingmoon said it well though. And try not to analyze too much. Do some dating. Try to keep your heart open to new experiences. As you allow yourself possibilities, your preferences will become clearer.

We need more clergy that are open-minded, so many blessings to you in your journey. In my church, one of our vestry and our organist are gay and out. No one bats an eye.

Hugs.

4. marriedover50

I'm not sure what denomination you are associated with or what seminary you are referring to, but remember that there are several Christian denominations that are open and affirming and open to you even in ministry.

I have lived in the shadows for so long because I was afraid of being rejected by my "church family." Don't let your calling keep you in the dark. Find a community of faith that is open and affirming of who you were created to be.

Peace.

5. wanderinggirl

I didn't "always know" either. What your feeling sounds like more than just friendship; crying is your body's way of telling you that you have emotional needs that are not being met. It's incredibly overwhelming to all of a sudden have the realization and have to process it alone; could you try to find someone to talk to about it? It's easy to get sucked into your own thoughts and caught up in your own troubles and blow everything out of proportion if you can't get someone else's perspective.

As for your acceptance of it: I think it's one thing to be an ally and an entirely different thing to accept yourself. I think that's a pretty common struggle, especially for people who were brought up in a liberal environment accepting of LGBT people but still couldn't accept their own desires. It's a period of mourning for the loss of your straight self, which is different from uncovering something that you can't accept. Give it time; things will fall into place and the question of gay/bi/straight will sort itself out.

With regards to career path: I know nothing about going into ministry, but I imagine that there might be some options for you to explore here. It's great that you found your passion; could you pursue it in a more accepting environment? There are plenty of LGBT-friendly churches around the U.S., and there is a need for more. Otherwise, I don't see how you could be completely happy repressing this side of you and keeping it a secret. If you want to lead a congregation, then living honestly is probably the best thing you can do for them. Show yourself love and it will reflect in what you do and say. So by all means pursue your dreams; but I'm hoping there's a way for you to do so in a way that doesn't require you to stay in the closet.

Family and friends... that's a whole other issue. Give it some time and you'll know what to do when the time comes to tell them or not; it'll probably vary on an individual basis. You're dealing with something big here; don't let every single other concern come up at the same time. One step at a time.

---------- Post added 24th May 2014 at 11:35 AM ----------

By the way I know a synagogue with a gay female rabbi. Maybe you could be your denomination's equivalent!

6. AmiBee

The minister at my church is gay. I'm a UU and that's completely accepted. As for Christian denominations, I know that the UCC is very open and accepting. My wife is from Alabama. Although I'm not Southern, I've visited many times over the last 25 years. I understand the cultural barriers you may face. But, I urge you to be true to yourself. Just visit the Later in Life forum if you want an idea of the pain long term denial can cause. Hugs and good luck.

7. LunaRC

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thank you all so much for your responses!

It is so comforting to find support - even if it is over the internet.

I have been thinking a lot about switching denominations. I am baptist (NOT Southern Baptist). Cooperative Baptist Fellowship, the 'affiliation' I would align with, is typically accepting of the LGBTQ community. The problem is that Baptist churches are autonomous - and most CBF churches were, at some point, southern baptist....and are often less accepting.

I have been thinking a lot about making the switch to UCC. It is just so odd, as I have grown up in a CBF church and find so many mentors and friends within that community. I am also starting to understand that suppressing this part of me is not healthy for my emotional well being.

Wanderinggirl, I really resonate with a lot of what you said:

I do feel like I am in this weird place of 'mourning' the loss of my straight self....and not quite ready to let go of that identity. It is this conflicting feeling of being totally terrified - but also excited about the possibility of being able to be my true self - which is till TBD.

I am also pretty nervous (and excited) about the thought of dating a girl, but is something I feel like is the next step.

This is a dumb question, I guess, but I don't even know how to go about meeting girls?

8. Jehanna

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Well... Internet dating is a logical first choice, whether straight, gay, or otherwise. :wink: But knowing a bit about your background, I'm going to suggest something additional:

Pray. Write a list of every potential quality you would like in a partner, and then pray over it.
    Because God is pretty good about giving us what we need, when we are brave enough to admit it to ourselves.

9. VacantPlanets

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Many of us have done this, but for me I was more trying to convince others, not myself. I knew I was queer. =)