1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Physically attracted to men, emotionally attracted to women. Help?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Akkeri, May 24, 2014.

1. Akkeri

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    So I've known for years now about my sexual orientation: I'm a guy who likes older guys. Recently though I've started thinking about my romantic orientation, which troubles me more the more I think about it.

My romantic experience amounts itself to a total of one girlfriend. We were together for the last month of my exchange year last year, and we were exceptionally close. We're wonderful friends even today one year later, and she's closer to me than anyone ever has been. Being close to her romantically is so easy for me, but I would be lying if I said I felt a sexual attraction towards her.

I've told myself almost my whole life that I'm gay. I had crushes on teachers and guy friends starting even in elementary school. When it comes down to it though, as hard as I try, I can't imagine myself being with another man. When I think of what would make me happy, I think about settling down with that girlfriend, raising a family, and being happy with her. I know it wouldn't be right though, as even as I was dating her, I had my eyes on other men.

So that's my dilemma. To put it in a rather cliché way, my body wants one thing while my heart wants another. I know I can't base a relationship entirely on either one, so I'm wondering what people who are going or have gone through the same thing have to say. I feel like one day I'll have to come to terms and make a choice, but more than to satisfy my own wants, I want to make sure I do right by the person it involves.

Thanks for reading, have a wonderful day :slight_smile:

-Þangbrandur

TL;DR I'm attracted to men, but I can only be emotionally close to women. advice?

2. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I'd describe that as a confusing mix bisexual. All of your sexual feelings for one gender, and all of your romantic feelings for another. I guess your going to have to decide if you want emotion or sex more, and go with whichever is more important to you. I would pick emotion, but that's just me.

3. all paths

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm in the same boat, OP.

However, upon getting involved with my first girlfriend, to my delight I found that my sexual attraction for her as a woman came to life.

I was worried before that I was 100% only sexually attracted to men, even though I was romantically and emotionally almost 100% attracted to women.

Now I know that at the very least, I can be physically attracted to women whom I grow romantically & emotionally close to. (a.k.a. "demisexual" towards women)

It would seem that this is not the case for you - since you express romantic attraction to your girlfriend, but have yet to experience sexual attraction toward her in what seems like a decent "trial period" amount of time. On the flip side of the coin, I am curious if you could ever turn out to experience "demiromantic" attraction toward men, similar to the way I ended up discovering my demisexual attraction toward women.

I just decided to follow my heart first, because love (with or without sex) is more important to me than sex alone. And I was delighted to find out that I was capable of feeling desire for my girlfriend, then, after all.

I guess I wonder what might happen for you if you tried a relationship with a man? I'm not saying you have to go out and have just sex w/a guy first to discover whether you could develop romantic feelings or emotional intimacy, but what if you just tried on a "date" or two with a guy that you admire and think you could have the potential to like maybe a bit more, beyond that?

I don't mean to sound like those people who say "maybe you just haven't met the right guy/girl yet" - lol - but I realize it's probably coming off like that.

If you just know that you absolutely feel nothing for men romantically, then ignore this. lol

But if you aren't entirely sure, it really might be worth exploring the possibility.

Because, as you've said, I'd just really hate to see you commit and get years-deep into a relationship or a marriage, only to break a heart and a life (or two, or more, if children are involved), later.

I think you're going about it the right way, trying to be sure of your choices before you make them.

I wish you the best!

4. Princess Danica

I'm similar but opposite. I like women aesthetically but men romantically. However, I will eventually develop sexual feelings for a man if there is chemistry first. I've tried many times to connect with women emotionally (because the natural draw of sexual attraction came first) but I can't do it. I just can't. Failed and failed, time and time again. So I know men are the choice I must make, but as for you... it sounds like maybe you need to find a feminine guy? Or perhaps a man who is transgender in the woman sense but doesn't plan on doing anything to become a woman? That's my best guess.

5. all paths

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah - I was going to say: What if you were to expand your dating experience? I too was thinking about emotionally "feminine" men & perhaps androgynous-bodied/-looking women?

If you've only ever dated this 1 person - this 1st girlfriend - I'd experiment a little before trying to decide definitively, given your complicated situation. (Especially if you are both little experienced, dating-wise, and quite young.)

6. Akkeri

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks for the responses :slight_smile: I've been itching to talk with someone about it, and it's so good to hear that I'm not the only one who feels this way.

I agree that I definitely need more dating experience, and as you said, all paths, I am still quite young, just recently turned 18. I'm planning to branch out in college and experiment with what I like. The few friends I've told in high school really haven't been able to relate with what I've told them, which made me more and more weary about coming out and telling people that I'd like to try having a boyfriend.

I'm sure that experimenting a little bit will give me a much better picture of what I want and what I like. I still have many years to figure it out, so I don't let it get to me too much. As far as dating androgynous women or effeminate men, it's definitely a thought. Now that I think about it, my girlfriend was emotionally much less effeminate than my other gal friends at the time, which was something I really appreciated. She was in her own words bisexual but mostly straight, and I know she had mixed opinions about her sexuality even while we were dating. Hmmmm...

I'll have to think about it all some more. Thank you all for your help :slight_smile: I appreciate it more than I can really convey here.

7. all paths

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Happy dating! :slight_smile:

8. Schmidtfaced

Hello all! Never posted here before but could relate to this thread. To the OP, honestly man I think the emotional feelings you feel towards women is an excuse to cling on to a straighter lifestyle. This is exactly what I suffer with conquering still. I have come up with every excuse in the book to never call myself 100% gay, however, I tested myself for a month by living through labeling myself "gay". It was not easy considering my entire life I considered myself straight, however, once I did this my entire life perspective changed. I literally had flash backs of my childhood and would connect certain events which indicated early signs of my sexual orientation. It all made sense... And although I'm still in the process of coming to terms with myself, it feels great opening up an entire new spectrum of my life. I spent 20 years suppressing my feelings and I feel horrible about missing out on my youth! Just relax and take some time to discover yourself.. It'll all work out in the end :slight_smile:

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm inclined to agree with Schmidtfaced. My experience is, most of the time when a guy report being romantically attracted to women, and sexually attracted to men... he's gay and is still working on accepting and loving himself.

The "romantic attraction toward women" is, in this circumstance, a bridge during the bargaining phase of accepting the loss (denial-anger-bargaining-grief-acceptance) in which the person is able to say "OK, I like guys, but I still feel something toward girls, so I must not really be gay."

Generally, as time goes on, most guys in that circumstance find themselves eventually coming around to realizing that what they feel toward girls is really just friendship. A lot of gay guys have very close female friends, but they'll never be romantic partners; the sitcom Will and Grace was a great example of this.

In recent years there's been a small contingent arguing that the two orientations are legitimately separated and different and there are people who, over a lifetime, experience that separation, but there's little to no support in the psych/sexology literature, nor among most of the therapists and sex workers working with these populations, to support that idea.

So most likely, as you spend more time getting comfortable with the idea that you're attracted to guys, you'll realize that what you're now seeing as "romantic attraction" is more in the realm of desire for close friendship.

10. Akkeri

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I have been considering this possibility myself for quite some time! I'm still not ready to accept it as an absolute, but it's entirely possible and I'm not closed to the idea. I would actually really like to be brave enough to be able to close the issue, say I'm gay, and let myself enjoy it. I have gone through phases where I do exactly that, but something always pulls me back to my questioning phase; whether it's learning that a girl has a crush on me or thinking about how much I want to settle down and raise a family.

Schmidtfaced, I can relate to you perfectly. It's easy for me to be gay when I'm home by myself or on a forum like this, but the straight image has me by the throat. I'm scared of letting people in on the most sensitive part of my life, and I don't know if I'm ready to take criticism for something I'm still criticizing myself over. That said though, when I finally admitted to myself about 4 years ago that I was 'at least partially gay,' I felt the same feelings of acceptance that you mentioned. Like you, I even had flash backs to obscure memories of my childhood, interests in guy friends that I had in elementary school, new and interesting feelings I felt at slumber parties, etc. that I had completely forgotten.

Chip, what you're saying really resonates with me as well. When I learned that my girlfriend wanted to try being more than friends, I immediately found myself missing the times when our friendship was strictly platonic. I believe that the status change actually hampered my ability to connect with her in many ways. When I think intently on it, I guess I would label what I feel towards her to be, as you said, a desire for close friendship.

The people I've told thus far about my predicament are surprised that I feel the urge to keep all of this welled up. They know that my brother is gay and can point to many gay people around my school and ask why it's so hard for me, when so many people who are going through the same things are being open about it and surviving. My brother and I were never close, and the few people who are out that I've had heart-to-hearts with at my school suggest I just forget about what feelings (whatever those might be) I had for my girlfriend and move on. Perhaps it really is just me making excuses to cling to the straight lifestyle, but I don't really feel like I fit in with the 'gay crowd.' At least not the one I know thus far.

I'm trying to work through it still. Thank you both for your responses :slight_smile:

11. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One thing that's a common problem for people who don't fit the "stereotype" (such that there's one stereotype for gay men) is that lack of "belonging" can prolong the coming out process.

In part, that's because people are hardwired for connection and so we want to "belong" somewhere, and in part it essentially gives us "plausible deniability" for why we don't have to acknowledge/accept being gay.

For what it's worth, I know a lot of gay guys who in no way fit any of the stereotypes: college football players / guys who love fixing up cars / guys with absolutely no fashion sense whatsoever (that's me) / guys who have not the slightest interest in Madonna, Cher, Britney, house music, etc. / guys who hate going to bars/clubs, don't drink or smoke or do drugs / guys who no one would ever guess are gay.

There really are all types. Gay guys are no different than straight guys except for who they love. While a lot of the stereotypes do, in fact, fit many gay people, they're by no means universal.

So... if that's one of the reasons/justifications you feel like you couldn't be gay, perhaps I've just shot a few holes in that theory :slight_smile: