1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm not sure about my sexual orientation

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Elementsroyalty, May 25, 2014.

1. Elementsroyalty

I'm sixteen and I've recently moved into a co-ed college after being in an all-girl high school. In my high school, I was never really attracted to anyone, but I thought being in college and having boys in my classes would make me more interested in dating one. However, I'm still disinterested as I was before.
    I've tried analysing all my thoughts and feelings to see why this might be. The only plausible conclusion I could come with is that I'm lesbian. As soon as the idea came to my head, it just felt right.
    I've never found guys all that attractive. There are male actors I think are handsome and I admire their skills, but in a very platonic way. I've never really liked hanging out with boys, no matter how nice they are. I feel uncomfortable around them, because I don't quite understand them. They are so different and unpredictable, I don't know if I could trust a guy enough to have a relationship. The only time I've wanted a boyfriend is when my class mates pressured me.
    At least half of my friends are lesbian or experimenting with girls. The few friends who are straight I just can't quite connect with. When they talk about attractive boys, I get bored or I can't quite see what they see in them.
    I definitely find girls better looking than guys. I've found I subconsciously stare at girls who I find pretty or have been really nice to me and I occasionally look at pictures of actresses I find attractive.
    I also much rather hang around a girl than a boy. I feel I can understand and sympathise with girls. The idea of being in a relationship with one doesn't seem wrong, in fact it seems cute and exciting. I also feel there might be a few girls I have crushes on at my college.

However, I'm not sure if this is just a 'phase' as people call it. I'm currently suffering depression and anxiety (because of a recent traumatic event) and I'm not sure if this is warping my sexuality. My parents say that I'm confused and these feelings towards girls will pass.

What are your thoughts?

2. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From what you have said, I think you have answered your own question. If you like girls more, then that's cool. You like who you like and the important thing is you accept yourself for it.

The one thing I would say though, is try not to make general statements about guys like them being unpredictable or you not being able to trust. Believe me, I've met plenty if guys and girls that fall into that category.

I hope you meet someone you like and get to explore things further.

Happy days :slight_smile:

3. BabbyDyke

Out Status:
    All but family
    Something else to keep in mind is that you don't have to slap on a label right away. I can relate to a lot of what you've said and my advice is is sexuality can be fluid and maybe later on you may gain more of an attraction towards men, but for now if you feel like you well and truly like girls and only girls, then there is nothing wrong with that. Even if it does turn out to be a phase, your identity is up to you and your current feelings are still valid regardless of what happens in the future.

4. oliro

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Explore your mind! (that sounds cheesy) I think you sound confident that you are a lesbian. You need to really find that voice inside of you that says "I am straight" or "I am gay." That also sounded cheesey, but have you ever gotten a raffle ticket, and there is a part of you that thinks you won't win, but then there is a part that says that you will. You need to see which voice, side, or part is bigger.

Sorry if that made no sense

5. medic

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I feel the same. As soon as I left my all-boys school I noticed girls still weren't interesting.