1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm not sure if I'm gay or just want to be

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Elementsroyalty, May 25, 2014.

1. Elementsroyalty

This probably sounds a bit strange but i've suddenly wanted to be a lesbian.

I've always found women very good looking and I can emotionally connect to them better than men. I find the idea of being in a relationship with a girl exciting and cute.

However, I am we'll aware homosexuality isn't a choice and I can't force it on myself. Also it is a little strange I'd want something that is unfairly discriminated. Maybe I just want the attention or be unique?

I'm so confused.

#1 Elementsroyalty, May 25, 2014
    Last edited: May 25, 2014
  2. Hunter427

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hate to admit it but I have the same feeling I want to be gay. I'm not sure if I'm actually gay or if I just want to know who I am since I've been questioning my self so often. My advice would be that you should date around a little bit with guys and girls and see what you get from it. I will one day follow my own advice but I would have to figure out how to hide it from my parents. Anyway just do what you want and feel like you should.

3. Hyaline

Could bethat you are more open minded to the suggestion and might be bi or lesbian.. I agree with hunter about trying things out if you aren't sure.. O think you will know very quickly...

4. medic

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Honestly I feel the same. A bit weird. I think (maybe hope) the reason is because I feel so much more comfortable now I've considered it a possibility. I do feel excited by the idea. I think that's probably a good reason to think it.

5. oliro

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You are comfortable with it, so maybe you are. Maybe you are bi. You are who you are, and I wish you luck and hope you find out ehat you want :slight_smile:

6. Kamina

I can't offer much guidance to you, especially having such little information however I can tell you what questioning was like for me. I questioned myself for a good year before joining this site last june. it was never really in the fore-front of my mind but I know I never had a problem with lesbians or gay people.

The thing that started to tip me off and probably should have much earlier was the fact that I never really got crushes growing up. On anyone really, and the idea of being with a girl was just never an option so I never had feelings for them and I just figured I wasn't developing as fast as my friends or something when it came to guys. I don't know I was an awkward weird child, still am. xD

When I started to question myself one of my main arguments against myself was "Well I'm not special or unique, why would I be gay. I probably just want attention". I kinda had shitty self esteem. But once I let myself explore those feelings and blocked that voice from my head, at least a little (sometimes it returns but I can deal with it better), I was able to realise I really liked girls a lot more than guys.
    **Inner acceptance**

Now I'm not going to lie, I haven't ever had a relationship with either a girl or a guy due to my awkwardness and lack of crushes and closetness so I don't personally think I can make a decision one way or the other yet. However I'm not looking for a relationship with a guy; but if it happened, cool.

So I don't know if that helps. Drop me a line (goes for everyone commenting on the post) if you want to talk and I would certainly take Hunter's advice and just let things happen. Trust me there is not real need to rush things.

7. Tetra

Man, I was on a walk today, and contemplated this for half an hour. I need to come out before I can really experiment, I think. So I want to make sure this is what I REALLY want. Thus, I keep beating myself up about it.
    It definitely matches me as a person, and it makes sense. I just can't imagine myself being the woman in a heterosexual relationship. I'd be happier with a woman, I think. However, how do I know, unless I try... And I can't try unless I've come out... *sigh*

8. fortheloveoflez

And what do you think about guys?

9. Elementsroyalty

Re: I'm not sure if I'm gay or just want to be

There are some guys I like to hang around with, but most of the time I don't feel all that comfortable around them. I can't connect with them like I can with girls and neither do I find them as good-looking.

10. BabbyDyke

Out Status:
    All but family
    I felt the same way back when I was questioning, especially because to me it felt sort of 'bad' that I was so willing to accept being gay so quickly. I also thought that maybe I just wanted to be special or different even though being gay is pretty tough. My advice is to stop worrying (as hard as I know that is) and just go with the flow. By that I mean if you want to date a girl or try some things with girls then go ahead. Same for guys. Just do what feels right and with time you'll figure it out. There's also nothing wrong with identifying as gay now if you feel that fits and changing it later if something else feels more accurate.

11. wanderinggirl

It could be that you want to be gay because you actually are ready to embrace the label; it could be you projecting your "otherness" due to other attributes onto your sexuality, which is easier than teasing apart why you feel different. You have to decide for yourself, but be honest with yourself why you feel "different".