1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Realising your sexual orientation

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by jahow95, May 31, 2014.

1. jahow95

I'm sure there must have been a thread started on this topic before, did a very quick search but couldn't immediately see anything related.
    When/ how did you realise what your non-hetero sexual orientation was? Did you know from very early or do you almost feel like you grew up one way and have now changed, as I feel?

Me - I'm so confused at the moment. Always been attracted to women sexually, but I'm not sure I ever wanted sex with them. Age 14/15 until recently been in love with a girl. Age 16 I sort of realised that when looking at photos of dudes and girls I was more inclined to look at the guys, but it sort of felt like the same thing as seeing my own face in a photo. Age 17/18 I'm noticing same sex attraction for the first time.

2. wardrobeescaper

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  3. jahow95

Thanks my friend. I actually missed that post as I thought only the one below had been posted. Very helpful post. Regardless I think this to be an interesting topic, any thoughts?

4. Najlen

I only figured it out recently, though in retrospect, there were a lot of little signs.

5. Yosia

I have not been bothered by gender for pretty much all my life~

Although recently i did think it was boys only but nope ^.^

#5 Yosia, May 31, 2014
    Last edited: May 31, 2014
  6. Tetra

Well, I mostly just ignored it for my whole life, just assuming I was straight, not really considering anything else to be a possibility. Once I thought about it, I couldn't STOP thinking about it, and the reality of it all became clearer and clearer over time.
    Looking back, there were a lot of hints though.

7. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Had attractions early on for same-sex, but slight for opposite

8. prussianblue100

It started during the seventh grade when a guy friend of mine said he loved me. The whole idea of dating a man felt awkward and strange. I just decided I'm not really ready for a relationship. I told his brother, then the brother told him for me without my consent. But oh well, we're both over it. Then, I realized I felt nothing for the opposite sex, but didn't consider the idea of being a lesbian and dating girls.

Then, this year, I started becoming more interested in girls a little more. I would check out girls at school and think about how "hot" they are. I once read an article to close your eyes and imagine yourself walking on the beach with a cute guy, then a cute girl. Imagine yourself dating one or even seeing them naked. I didn't really care much for the boys, but the girls, I get really excited and aroused. However, I didn't want to be a lesbian, so I told myself "You are bi."

As I read more articles and looked at more videos, I began to realize I was a lesbian. However, part of me was doubting it and thinking "You're bi. You're not a lesbian. You're bi!" I recently accepted the idea of being a lesbian sometime around Spring and I'm thinking of coming out later this year. So, yeah. That's my story.

9. joshy the queen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well since i was like 13 i had a crush on my bff and i kissed him for the first time we both said ewwwwww (but i said that so i dont look gay and awkward) and i touched him in one or more ways and stuff but i got over him long time ago i think we are just friends i never told him what i felt though even before i was 13 i always knew i was different i never felt like i fit in with them (the guys)
    i always hated the way i feel for guys since in my country you get killed for it and in my religion too so i have nothing to do back then but to hurt my self i always got hit by my dad and many times he called me faggot because im such a femme guy
    till 15 i didnt stop self harm and i started to smoke and drink energy drinks like to feel better anyway i got sick i tried to kill myself i tried throwing myself in a river nothing worked im still me im just running away when i turned 16 i told my sister and her husband they wanted to change me i went along with it but when i noticed i didnt want it i told them that im ok now i changed but to a better person i stopped self harm i stopped smoking and trying to kill myself i loved myself and i know that god loves me that way all my life im trying to change but all i had to change was the dark side of me that didnt accept gays and myself
    now i stand here my head held high as a gay man proud of himself

10. whosamelia

Had never thought I was anything but straight until I was 14 and a half - just over a year ago... Someone made me start questioning and here I am a year later with a slight to moderate preference for the same gender. (now this is the story all about how my life got flipped turned upside down)

Realised I had a same-sex crush when I was 8 though. It was exactly like crushes I had on boys around that age!

11. I don't really know, I didn't really know that bisexual was a legit orientation when I was in school, so I let people tell me that I was just going through a phase or doing it for attention or trying to turn on guys by kissing girls. I got a lot of shit in school for being different in so many ways. I think it was when I wore boxer shorts instead of girls underwear that people started accusing me of being a lesbian and I didn't know what to say so I'd be like "I'm into tits and I'm also into cocks, but I especially like bums..." and they'd call me attention seeking and greedy. A lot of my friends were experimenting and many of us had our sexual orientation on our social networking sites set to bisexual. After school, about 90% decided they were straight after all. Which is fine and sexuality can be completely fluid, but it would have made my life easier if I'd have known I were barking up the wrong tree all that time.
    I've never changed my status to straight, so it's kind of an open secret. It's something nobody talks with me about but the information is there if they care to read it.
    So, yeah, I was lucky that as my sexual desires emerged I was among a friend group that were experimenting, which allowed me to realise that I was attracted more than one gender.

I'm still questioning the validity of my sexual orientation though, but I think that is due to my general self doubt mixed with remembering the stigma and discrimination I experienced at school.