1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion - Cause of sexual orientation

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by jahow95, Jun 1, 2014.

?

Before reading the report - Which is responsible for a persons sexuality

1. Nature

45 vote(s)
    91.8%
  2. Nurture

4 vote(s)
    8.2%
  1. jahow95

Before you read this, I would like you to note that I do not mean any of this to cause offence, I intend to provoke discussion. However this is potentially controversial.

Just read an interesting report on twin studies into sexuality:

The link Identical Twin Studies Prove Homosexuality is Not Genetic | OrthodoxNet.com Blog.

Interesting food for thought, some of the more interesting quotes:

'Identical twins have the same genes or DNA. They are nurtured in equal prenatal conditions. If homosexuality is caused by genetics or prenatal conditions and one twin is gay, the co-twin should also be gay.
    “Because they have identical DNA, it ought to be 100%,” Dr. Whitehead notes. But the studies reveal something else. “If an identical twin has same-sex attraction the chances the co-twin has it are only about 11% for men and 14% for women.”'

'“No-one is born gay,”'

'“Neutral academic surveys show there is substantial change. About half of the homosexual/bisexual population (in a non-therapeutic environment) moves towards heterosexuality over a lifetime. About 3% of the present heterosexual population once firmly believed themselves to be homosexual or bisexual.”'

'Numbers of people who have changed towards exclusive heterosexuality are greater than current numbers of bisexuals and homosexuals combined. In other words, ex-gays outnumber actual gays.'

Embarrassingly, I do admit that unlike my normal scholarly self, this is my only source. Couldn't be arsed to find anything else.

---------- Post added 1st Jun 2014 at 09:19 PM ----------

I may get some hate for this thread, but haters gon' hate, right?

2. Kat 5

[​IMG]

3. jahow95

Don't shoot the messenger, quote marks for a reason!

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm going to go ahead and say if your source is "Orthodox" ANYTHING I'm not going to be believing the results without further backup.

5. Kat 5

I wasn't shooting the messenger. That is why I actually put it into a quote box without your name label at the top.

6. jahow95

yeah shit hahahahahahah. My bad! Literally just read the name of the blog. that is bloody embarrassing, my bad. I'll leave this thread up for an hour or so so that everyone can see it's concluded and then delete it, cool? (can i even delete it?)

7. Kat 5

If I were to shoot the messenger, it would be for a good reason. And I would shoot the messenger with a Railgun.

8. jahow95

If a mod sees this please delete at around 2300 gmt

9. Ditz

It's an interesting read, and maybe it's a bit of both, a little bit of genetics and a little bit of nurture. The one thing that's for sure, It's not a choice and I think most people on here will agree with that.

10. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you'd like a Moderator to take a look at deleting your thread, report your main post and in the information box, ask for it to be deleted.

It's up to the Moderators as to whether your thread actually gets deleted. Oftentimes, threads are left up to preserve the history of the use of EC.
    If your account is truly secure, nobody will ever know who you are, so you shouldn't feel embarrassed about a thread.

Here's a much more detailed explanation by Chip, an EC Admin.

11. jahow95

absolutely agreed. I think that's the one thing on the topic of sexuality that we know for sure.

---------- Post added 1st Jun 2014 at 10:19 PM ----------

Absolutely fair enough. Just assumed as my source seemed nul nobody would want to see it

12. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think the predisposition is genetic.

I think that what happens along the way causes it to kick into gear.

Everyone has a different life story. While not as common, some guys who become hairdressers like women exclusively their whole lives. Then, you have guys who are professional athletes, and who had to fight off women, who aren't interested in them. I bet they have some interesting stories to tell about childhood fantasies, playing doctor, circle jerks, seductions, or lack thereof. It's easy to put some things into tidy piles. However, sexuality is not one of them.

I think it's developmental heaped onto a latent and/or innate personality trait. For those who have it, it won't take much for it to kick into gear. As for identical twin studies, I once read it was 52%, and about half is sort of "meh."

Add: this topic will always be a "hot button," controversial, interesting, potentially scientific, and merits discussion. My 2 cents.

13. Packa

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I recently read some blogs on genes, well, causing religous tendencies in their bearers. Identical twin studies, too. Who knows. Sometimes i think my being a lesbian is caused by a lack of freudian triangulation. A father, but an emotional inexisting one and the lack of social training on how to relate in a female way to males. This might be an even more controversial position, i guess.

14. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

15. butHitlerisDead

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have from several other sources about the identical twin thing being a pretty low (I know two sets of twins where one is gay and one isn't; only 1 pair is identical though), but this source seems pretty biased so I'm not sure it's trustworthy in the slightest.

16. mangotree

One of my friends is an identical twin, he's gay and his brother is straight.
    The argument could go both ways -
    They were both brought up the same way, with the same parents and the same opportunities for being "influenced", yet they both turned out completely different.

Apparently they had a lot of tests done when they were younger to find out how "identical" they are biologically, and they were very very very similar.
    So the other side of the argument is, if their biological makeup was as close to being identical as you can get, then it must have been environmental / nurture.

They also have completely different jobs and interests.

I personally believe in souls, so I'm more inclined to see neither of the above as true and that their souls (whether 'new' or 'old') are different.

Peace be with you.

17. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Just so you know, in the future it's not too hard to figure out what sites are reputable, I barely had to look at that site to see it had clear biases. Heres a link to some hints. Helpful Hints to Help You Evaluate the Credibility of Web Resources

One tip that they don't give you, is to look for high level domain names. A .gov or .edu site is going to be more trustable than a .com site. Also look for information that comes from the websites of reputable organizations, like choosing the American Psychological Association for something about mental health, rather than some guys blog. Or the FDA's website rather than an illegal online pharmacy website.

18. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

No one is born gay?... Ha haha hahahah
    Man. If you had seen me at three years old, covered in scrapes, going on a "big hunt" with my hair pulled up in a baseball cap so no one would think I was a girl... Wearing a bearded dragon shirt... You would never have thought I was straight. I chased girls around in kindergarten with some critter I caught just to creep them out so they would pay attention to me. I was queer even back then at 4 years old.

19. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    This study looks interesting thanks for sharing the link. I've always been in interested in the Finger Ratio (2D:4D) studies being as I'm a bio female with lower (masculine) finger ratio and I've noticed other lesbians often display the same trait.

This quote form the linked study seeing as this thread referenced identical twins:

"A study of finger ratio in female monozygotic
    twins provided an innovative control for genetic and
    environmental background factors [252] and showed a
    relation between finger ratio and sexual orientation. In
    female twins discordant for sexual orientation, the lesbian
    twin had a significantly lower (masculinized) finger ratio in
    both hands compared to her heterosexual co-twin; in twins
    concordant for sexual orientation, there was no difference in
    finger ratio."

20. Lipstick Leuger

This reminds me of the report a scientist that was a Neurosurgeon did about Sociopaths. He noticed that Sociopaths brains were different in structure. He was looking at all these brains one day and realized that one he was looking at, with this structure, was his own. He was not a Sociopath. He is an acclaimed scientist and Neurosurgeon.

I believe that gay people are born with certain genes that, if activate, make one gay. This would mean that even identical twins would not correlate at 100%. After all, even twins have different experiences, and one may get an illness or virus that causes the gene switch to turn on, and the other could not. No one has the exact same experiences in life. Even with the same set of parents. Too many variables. Their study is flawed.