1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a word for this/I'm confused

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by tigerlily, Jun 2, 2014.

1. tigerlily

Out Status:
    Some people
    I've considered myself bisexual for the last three years but now I'm not sure... I feel like maybe I am attracted to men and women (not sure about non-binary genders) but I am maybe only demisexual when it comes to women? I don't know, I feel sexually attracted to men but not sure about emotionally, I feel emotionally attracted to women but maybe not always sexually attracted? If I were demisexual with women but both sexually and emotionally attracted to men, would there be a word for this? I'm quite confused about this and I don't strongly feel it's something I need to label if I am bisexual anyway, but it would help to figure out whether I really am bisexual. But then again there are also signs to suggest I am fully sexually attracted to women.

Also I'm quite young so I've never actually experimented with anyone of any gender, but I tend to find random men on the street more attractive than random women. I have been attracted to women too though, and I've been attracted to at least two of my friends (oops), one was the biggest crush I've ever had and it lasted one and a half years. In fact I was pretty strongly attracted to both of them, but I had already formed emotional connections with them obviously because they were my friends.

On a sidenote, is it normal for bisexuals to go through "phases" of attraction? I'm consistently attracted to men and women but often it's like one month I'm attracted to guys, the next to girls (though it's usually periods a lot longer than a month. I was only attracted to girls for about eight months a couple of years ago). I know sexuality is fluid but it just seems like this is pretty rapid transitions between attraction to guys and attraction to girls.

Also, I find that I'm more attracted to the idea of a girl than to specific girls. I'm attracted to the idea of smooth skin and a nice smell, and long hair and just generally "feminine" things. The other day I brushed against my friend's bare arm and liked it. But I'm not actually attracted to her. So I don't know. This has been one very confusing post.

2. butHitlerisDead

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Labels are meant to be used as a general guideline for explaining something, which is why they are generally broad and encompass a lot. For example "bisexual" generally describes someone who is attracted to two genders, but that still leaves room for a lot of possibilities under the umbrella of label. I for example, label myself as bisexual, but could also fit into the category of demisexual or gray-asexual (you can see my post from a few days ago in this forum). There is no label that is going to describe us perfectly because there are only a few labels to remember, and so many different possibilities in the spectrum of sexuality and desire. So if someone chooses to label oneself (which is as fine as not choosing to) he or she should choose one that they think best fits them, but it doesn't necessarily have to fit every single facet of his or her personality.

I don't know if you've heard of the Kinsey scale (feel free to google it), but bisexuality for everyone is not 50/50, not is it always constant. Someone who identifies as bisexual may be 70% attracted to men and 30% attracted to women, or maybe someone else is 60% attracted to women and 40% attracted to men. It also fluctuates. Nearly every bisexual I have spoken to says that their preference for either gender is rarely constant, myself included. Some days I feel like I'm leaning more towards the hetero side of my sexuality, some days I'm more attracted to women, some days it's 50/50, a lot of the time I'm not attracted to either.

In conclusion, my advice? Don't sweat it. You seem to fit under the umbrella term of bisexuality well enough (attraction to two genders is all that is needed to fit under the label), and if you do eventually change your mind and decide heterosexual, heterosexual, biromantic demisexual, then that's fine. You do have the right to change your mind and your label.