1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the definition for attraction to non-binary?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Yannick, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Yannick

Out Status:
    A few people
    Skoliosexual? Does such a term really exist? I did some research and found the term skoliosexual but is it right? It would be nice to know what to call myself. :icon_bigg

I am mainly attracted to non-binary people. I have always been. I have actually been a bit ashamed of it (I know, I know, there is no reason to be ashamed :astonished:) since I havent really heard about others like me and it seems like there isn't even a definition. I know labels don't really matter but it would be nice to know the real term.

2. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I thought it was pansexual :confused:

3. Yannick

Out Status:
    A few people
    I think pansexual is the term for those who are attracted to people no matter their gender. I am not an expert really and I actually have been calling myself pansexual. But I think those who are not actually attracted to cis-gender people are not pansexuals. The term pansexual seems too wide.

4. Hiems

I thought

bi = attracted to cisgender men/women
    pansexual = attracted to anyone in gender binary (cis and trans)
    queer = attracted to anyone, whether inside or outside of binary

So queer would probably fit best for attraction to non-binary people.

5. Yannick

Out Status:
    A few people
    I thought queer is like an umbrella term for all who are not straight so techincally I am queer anyway. I could really say I am queer. It's actually interesting that there is not clear definitions for this. Maybe it's because society is just starting to recognice andrygyny and non binary.

Hah. I feel like such a nit picker. :lol:

6. wanderinggirl

My interpretation is:
    bi- attracted to people in the gender binary, cis and trans
    pan- attracted to any gender
    queer- not straight and/or not cisgender (to any extent)

I'm also not attracted to the binary necessarily, I use "queer", "pan", or "bi" depending on who I'm talking to (I'm not going to launch into a sexuality explanation when talking to people who aren't involved in queer things so "bi" is simplest, albeit inaccurate). I don't use "pan" usually because gender does matter to me in terms of attraction, so who knows!

7. Yannick

Out Status:
    A few people
    I also just usually say I am bi if I talk to people who are not in all this if they want to know. It's far from accurate but people often understand what it means and it really tells them all they want to know about me. It's no use to try to explain too complicated things to people. Bi is the same thing as pan to them anyway.

Well, labels are just labels anyway. :slight_smile: It doesn't take much time to say I am attracted to andrygyny and queerness.