1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

im seeking advice

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by kebabs1981, Jun 8, 2014.

1. kebabs1981

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    i just realised im a lesbian and was wandering if anyone could give me advice or support has im confused and bit scared.

2. Adventuretime

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    *hug
    i don't know how to give good advice but you're safe here. No one will judge you

3. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Self-acceptance takes awhile, atleast it did for me.
    What helped me out was talking to like-minded people (EC!) and youtube. Youtube has tons of LGBT vloggers and allies. All their videos really helped me.

4. CyanChachki

I'm not sure what kind of advice you want, but I will try my best. Please know that I'm basing this off of my own experience as to coming out and such. This may not be the right kind of advice for you.

I knew that I liked girls since I was a kid, never really thought anything different about it. upon learning the different sexualities I was like "oh, okay, that's what I am!" but I didn't know that there where people who where against it so I just came out. Because there was so much hate after, I felt I had to retract what I said and deny it. I was terrified to tell my teachers that I was bisexual due to the false accusations being made by other girls, I thought that they would be like " Oh, she is gay, so then she deserves it.." But growing up and rethinking what I've done has made me realize that if I just told them, things would've changed.

Lesson here is, if someone finds out or if you tell someone, say a friend and they tell everyone else - if things start to happen and people bully you, you need to tell the staff the truth. They can help you.

Two years later after all of that happened, I slowly came out to other people. I first told a therapist that wasn't my therapist and he understood completely. I then came out to some of my friends who where more accepting and didn't really care and then I came out to my family. My younger sister, my older sister, my dad and well.. I didn't really tell my mom, my dad told my mom but that's beside the point. My mom didn't talk to me for a week.

The lesson here is, as hard as it may be to hear this it's possible that not every family member is going to be accepting. This could mean your immediate family or your relatives. Then again, maybe everyone would be 100% accepting. Depends on your family, the reactions do vary.. and know that just because someone isn't talking to you, doesn't mean that they don't accept you. Coming out is often big news and it does effect the family in more ways than you may think. If this happens and they ignore you for a bit, just give them a bit of space until they can collect their thoughts and speak on it properly.

As for friends, they may or may not stay. Again, it depends on the types of friends you have all I'm saying is to be a little prepared for some form of hate, even if you don't get it.. and if they do give you hate, block them immediately, burn that bridge and don't say anything back. Fighting with them will only worsen the feeling, as they probably won't try to understand. Though, I hope that you don't have to go through this at all.

Again, this is just my experience, I don't really know how else to tell. Overall, there's really nothing to fear, it's just like a girl liking a guy or a guy liking a girl. There's nothing wrong with it and it shouldn't be seen as wrong. You will find many people who accept you for you, no matter where you are. :slight_smile:

5. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

You can talk about anything here. If you ever need someone to talk to, I'm here. :slight_smile:

6. wanderinggirl

Kebabs, congrats on the first step. "It gets better" is cliche but actually good advice: things become clearer and less scary as time goes on. You're on your way to being happy with yourself so this coming out is a good thing. Try to see it as a positive.

Above all, don't retreat into yourself and push other people away; stay involved in life around you. Find someone you trust to open up to.

7. kebabs1981

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    thank you all for the advice