1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is 16 too young to know your gay?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Countrygirl545, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Countrygirl545

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm 16 and I'm thinking I'm lesbian

2. White Knight

Each and everyone of us realize we are attracted to same gender at different age. Acceptence is another matter but from personal experience I can say 16 is fine.

I finally accepted I am gay at age of 15 and when I fell in love with a boy for the first time. Up to that point I always attracted to other males and fooled/played with boys/men exclusively starting from age of 7 or 8.

Hope that can answer your question.

3. poetofdarkness

i'm 13 and i have no doubt whatsoever that i'm a lesbian,and i started experiencing romantic feelings towards girls since i was 10

4. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I find that 47 is too young to *know* **anything**.

But is 16 too young to *think* you're gay? Sheesh, is 16 too young to think you're straight?

5. Kat 5

You can know earlier.

6. Ali101xx

Ali101xx Guest

Out Status:
    All but family
    No it isn't too young. It depends on each individual some of us know when we are younger like 6 or 12 and some people come in to terms with their sexuality when they are a bit older and the rest realise after starting a family with the opposite sex. It really depends on each person but I can say that it Is not early for you to know that you're a lesbian

7. Zelos

I discovered I was bi at 16 years old! There's no right age to "know". Some have always known it,, since they were little, and others discover it quite late. :slight_smile:

8. Unkempt Harold

Society agrees that children do not have the facultys to give concent. Therefore before the accepted age sex is illegal.

That's independent on when humans biologically begine to develop sexuality. So it's completely possible to know your a lesbian before your 18 XD

9. biffle50

biffle50 Guest

I came out when I was 12. Only you know what you are , no matter what age.

10. Alfhild

id doubt that its possible for you to be too old or too young to realize who you are :slight_smile:

11. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Most people have figured out they are straight before they turned 16. So no, it's not too young.

12. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Is 16 too young to know you're straight?

13. black-cat

Everyone is different. Like one of the previous posters, is 16 too young to know your straight? Some people know by the time they are 12-13 and some don't know even in their 20s-30s. But, in my opinion, I don't think it is too young to know your sexuality. :slight_smile:

14. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Didn't mean that in a sarcastic tone by the way, but in a serious something to think about way.

We discover our sexualities at different ages; but 16 is about right. You'd have a sex drive and interest in dating by then.

I discovered mine at 14.

15. Countrygirl545

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you all ver much for your advice :slight_smile: iv been thinking about it a lot and iv come to the conclusion that I am in fact lesbian(I'm not pretty sure anymore haha) now the tough part coming out..I'm thinking about coming out to my grandparents first because I just want to get the people I think it might be toughest to tell first haha I might not come out right away but I will :slight_smile:

16. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually, I think you're much better off coming out to the people who are easiest to come out to, and (even more importantly) are most likely to be understanding and supportive. With each person you tell, you build a base of support then, so when somebody is inevitably difficult, you have some allies you can count on to help you deal with it.

Something to think about.

17. Vincisomething

Their is no minimum or maximum age to discover your identity. "You're too young to think you're gay!" is total crap.

18. DeviantAttitude

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    You can't be too young or too old. Sexuality is one of the most personal things so you have to decide if it is too early too know. IMO it's never too early or too late.

19. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

I knew at ten. Everyone is different.

20. TurtleCat

I don't think 16 is too young to know that you're gay. I think whatever age you first start to develop romantic/sexual feelings is when you can know your sexuality, or at least have a pretty good indication of what it may be.

It bothers me how it's somewhat of a double standard in society that no one bats an eye if someone who's young or inexperienced/a virgin identifies as straight, but it's like if you say you're gay or bisexual, suddenly you need to have all this maturity, experience, etc etc. to back it up.