1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transgender People's Orientation?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Tai, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not completely transgender myself, I go between genders. But I'm curious about the people who have completely transitioned or gotten a sex change. For example, if you're biologically a female, then call yourself a male (but don't get a sex change) and like guys, are you considered gay or straight? What about that same situation, but you like girls instead? Gay or straight? Or does this only apply to people who have gotten a sex change?

I'm just curious and easily get confused. Sorry if I offended anyone. I'm not educated in this subject.

2. LD579

If you consider yourself a guy, regardless of your body parts, then you would base your orientation's 'language' on that. So if you liked guys and were a guy, then you'd call yourself gay. Sex changes don't really apply to the language.

3. Just Jess

So the word I use to describe myself is gay.

I do this first and foremost because a lot of people assume I am a gay man when it's apparent - or someone tells them - that I'm trans. People just do not do a good job of separating who I am from who I love in their heads. I have just learned to live with this. But with this one word, I can show a little solidarity and remind myself that gay men are pretty great people to get grouped in with.

But mostly, it's because it's what I am. I'm a woman, who can only be attracted to or have sex with women.

The only reason this is an issue, is because people also have a hard time - again, once "the trans" becomes obvious - viewing me as a woman. The most attractive women alive, some people could learn about their pasts, and not view them as women. Again, something I have learned to live with.

But, you know, once you have accepted me as a woman, then when I say I like other women, it's kind of obvious I'm gay :slight_smile:

4. KayJay

I think it is based on what the person identifies as. If I only liked men I would consider myself straight for example.

5. Just Jess

I'd also like to add that I'm dating another male-to-female transitioner; it doesn't get gayer than that :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for clearing this up for me!