1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are there exceptions?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Tai, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I thought I strictly liked guys until a couple of months ago. I have had many guy crushes in the past. But recently I got a crush on a girl at school, but all I feel is lust; I barely know her. This leads me to think I'm a hetero-romantic bisexual person. When I had to talk to her to ask her something, I got flushed and the happy fluttering feeling you experience with a crush. But I don't know her very much... all I know is that she's a lesbian and she's friends with one of my friends.

This has only happened with one girl, while I get this feeling with a lot of guys. So I'm wondering if exceptions exist, and I'm straight with an exception, or if I'm a hetero-romantic bisexual?

The only other info I can offer is that even though I've only felt attracted to this one girl so far, I find the woman body and voice turn-ons (depending on the body and voice, of course). And I know the Kinsey scale isn't thought of as being the most accurate thing, but I'm a 2. (If it was the most accurate, I wouldn't be asking for help!)

I'm really frustrated and I wish I was certain like a lot of people on here are.

2. FeketeHajnal789

I cannot help you much as to why you have been experiencing inconsistencies in your sexual orientation or why, but I can tell you that there are exceptions - there has been an exception in my case as well. I like to think of myself as exclusively homosexual - I have strong sexual and romantic interest toward males and cannot conceive of looking at a girl as anything more than a friend. However, two and half years ago, I developed romantic feelings for a girl. They were just about as intense as those I generally experience for males. However, I harbored no sexual desire for her whatsoever. We then terminated relations, I lost all interest in her, and haven't experienced anything similar since. I'd say that this was indeed an exception to my general predispositions, as it was an isolated case. It is not as though it made me realize that I am pan-romantic but homoerotic, or something such. Thus, it may be that you yourself are straight with an exception - I suppose it is up to you to decide whether your case is defined by exceptions or an entire continuous tendency.

The problem in being sure about these things is that they are not rigid or fixed. You cannot really measure sexual tendencies and then group them. Well, you can, but it doesn't bear much meaning. It's based on a consensus. It's based on the drawing of rigid lines to separate categories which are not really categories but fluid regions of a whole spectrum. This problem arises every time something needs to be classified - not only in the case of sexuality. Think, for example, of the problem in deciding what the difference between a dialect and a language is or in deciding in how many kingdoms organisms need to be classified. Furthermore, the problem of analyzing a qualitative concept quantitatively is present. Namely, in the case of sexuality, there are no truly countable quantities. You can sense which gender appeals to more but you can only get a vague notion - not something you can truly measure. Anyway, even if you could, deciding how to interpret the numbers would be something arbitrary, as I already argued.

3. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you. So it sounds like I need to wait and see if my desire for her strengthens or if it disappears. And if I get these feelings for any other girls...

Anyone else who has advice to give me, I'm all ears.

4. Zelos

Of course exceptions exist! And define yourself the way you like.
    I've had a crush on agirl at the beginning of the year, but I realised she was absolutely awful on the inside when I got to know her better, and thus my crush on her instantly vanished. Maybe you should try to get to know the girl, and see how your attraction to her evolves. Maybe you could date her, see how that evolves!
    Let me tell you a story about an exception. It's happened to a dear friend of mine. She had always been straight. She had never dated a girl and had never felt anything whatsoever for a girl. She had always identified as straight... until she met my lesbian friend, M.
    She completely crushed on M and soon fell in love with her. Let me tell you they've been together for two years and a half now, and they're really happy. So yeah, for my friend, M is an exception, but it looks like it'll be an exception that'll last forever :slight_smile:

Ps : I swear it's a true story, even if many lesbian girls out there won't want to believe me. I'm very jealous of M myself for getting to a straight girl's heart in that way :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

I believe there are exceptions. If it's just one person I don't think it changes your sexuality. Though if you find yourself attracted to more then one girl, I'd say you were bisexual. It's up to you on how to define yourself. I've had a crush on a male celebrity for years (purely sexual) but in reality if I ever met him I would not sleep with him.

6. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think you can be straight, lesbian and gay and have.one exception to the rule, I do not think you need to go calling your self bisexual just for one man or woman you happen to like or fall in love with. This is what I think people mean when they say sexuality is a spectrum or not black and white. However I think it's silly if for example your gay and liked 3to10 women who you dated and slept with and still have attraction to women and your calling yourself gay with an exception or calling yourself that just because you only like having sex with the opposite sex . Same for if you were straight.

7. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hmm, thank you all. And Sheena, that's a really cute story, haha. I believe you.

---------- Post added 15th Jun 2014 at 02:55 PM ----------

I'd like to add that I've never been in a relationship or kissed anyone, in case it wasn't clear in the original post.