1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to figure some things out: Gay or Bi; Sexual or Asexual

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Teslahemian, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Teslahemian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I recently came out to myself last year, and to a few really good friends this year. I identify as homosexual because that is my overall preference, I think, but, as I often reason on reflection, I can be attracted romantically and sexually to the right person, regardless of gender, and, hopefully, I will not be afraid to accept it when it happens.

Since middle school, I knew I probably leaned toward the homosexual side. Though it never went beyond personal fantasy, I fantasized about at least 1/5 of the guys around my age in my class. Same in high school and college. I dated girls, for the most part, even through college, and admittedly I did feel attracted to them at times, sexually fantasizing about them was more rare, but it happened. Regardless of gender, though, I have always been afraid of sex; I've fantasized about it, but when given the actual opportunity to do it (on 3 different occasions; 1 in high school, 2 in college; 3 different people; 1 male, 2 female), I turned the opportunities down out of fear, and was happier to just kiss and cuddle.

I've come to terms over that last several years that I am gay. Maybe not a 6 on the Kinsey Scale, but definitely somewhere between a 4 and a 5. What I am confused about is whether or not I may be asexual. I think the term gets misused or confused a lot, and I'm fairly new to gender and sexual orientation terms, so I'll be the first to admit ignorance here. However, being uncomfortable with sex is confusing. On the one hand, I see myself very attracted and having sexual desire with people, i.e.- I do find myself sexually attracted to specific people. However, if faced with the decision face-to-face, whether or not I wanted to have sex here and now, I'd probably say "no." I'm not sure how much of that is fear and ignorance, or how much of it is that's just who I am (i.e.- I don't want to have sex, and I'm just confused, giving the excuse of fear).

Is there a way to know for sure. I find it hard to date, as I have not "come out" publicly and therefore still have most of my friends and family awkwardly trying to hook me up with all their single female friends and coworkers. 25 seems to be the awkward age where everyone around you thinks you need to at least be dating, or in a relationship, or getting married, and, if you're not, you need help in that arena. Not that I don't find some women attractive at times, but I guess I just don't want to jump into any sort of dating or relationships without, at least generally knowing who I am, if that makes sense. Any advice here would be great! Thanks in advance!:help:

#1 Teslahemian, Jun 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  2. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's entirely possible to be a sex-repulsed non-asexual (or, as some call it, "allosexual").

As an asexual, I do fantasize about sex and I have a functioning libido. However, I never fantasize of having sex with anyone I have seen or known. If you fantasize about having sex with someone you know or have seen, chances are you aren't asexual.

This can vary, though. It really depends on what your definition of sexual attraction is. To me, it's simply the desire to have sex with someone (like... a real person, not someone you randomly imagined).

You mentioned that you can feel sexual and romantic attraction to anyone, regardless of gender. That's pretty much bisexual/pansexual and biromantic/panromantic. You can also add a "demi" to either of those. "Demi" just means you only feel this attraction once you know them well. And, just because you are bi or pan, doesn't mean that you can't have preferences. I'm asexual and probably pandemiromantic or aromantic, but I have a heavy preference for dudes when it comes to being attracted. So that's quite alright.

Hope I wasn't too confusing. Best of luck!

3. Najlen

I think that being nervous about sex is pretty normal. You could be asexual, thats not what it sounds like to me, but don't listen to me because only you can know for sure. You could be somewhere on the gray asexual spectrum, meaning, as I understand it, basically that you sometimes feel sexual attraction and desire but not as often or as strongly as some people. Look it up, my definition is probably nnot super accurate.

As for how to tell, in the end it will be something that you just know, the same as your gender and romantic orientations.

4. Teslahemian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks a lot for the information! Much appreciated! I think I'll just go with labeling myself as "gay" to people around me for now. Labels are confusing, and I think it'll just be one of those things that I figure out as I move forward. Again, thanks for the advice!