1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

People Who Say They Were Born LGBTQ VS Those That "Chose" It?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by bisexualkpopfan, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Hey guys! Hope you are doing well :slight_smile:

This is about something that my mom had playing on the radio. It's the "Breaking Point" segment thing on Christian radio, I don't know if you guys have heard of it.

Anyway, the guy started off by talking about transgenders in how LGB people say they can't change, but transgender can change or whatever - Basically, trying to disprove being gay or bisexual or pansexual using the trans thing, which is really silly. I mean, it's two different things and you can't use the two against each other:rolle:

Then, he continued on that back in 90s, gay activists were pressured into the "born this way argument", even though they knew it "wasn't true." Now, since that gay marriage is winning, some people are claiming that they've chosen to be LGBTQ and that some of their friends have "changed their identity during their lifetime".

I know that this is similar to some other threads probably or that it's obvious that these things aren't true - But to be honest, hearing that really upsets me. I feel like if that radio station keeps saying things like this, people in the already homophobic and conservative Louisiana will use that as an excuse to keep discriminating and that really scares me... When I hear things like this, I also think about all the people being killed and jailed in other countries and wonder if those people ever think about the hurt they've caused to LGBTQ people because they want to stick with mis-translated verses...

I just needed some cheering up and to just let all of this out, that is the reason why I am writing this...

Just give me your thoughts and opinions on this - Have you even known someone who has chosen to be gay or bi?? I mean, we are just born this way, aren't we? I am pretty positive we are, but I'm still really close to religious people and sometimes they make me feel really insecure :frowning2:

#1 bisexualkpopfan, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2014
  2. BelleFromHell

I've heard a million and one lesbians say they've "choosen" to be that way. *facedesk*

3. Haha, that's probably about right xD

You're correct, the whole thing is really silly, I mean, how can you "choose" what you feel anyways? Thanks for responding, you've cheered me a little already :slight_smile:

4. TheStormInside

I see no credence to the "chose to be that way" argument. Why in the heck would anyone *choose* to be attracted to a gender that guarantees them a much smaller dating pool, fewer legal rights, and discrimination, possibly even from loved ones. The only choice in the matter is whether you will act on your feelings, not that you have the feelings in the first place. And hiding that you are LGBTQ/not acting on those feelings doesn't negate the fact that you still ARE LGBTQ. And though choosing to act on those feelings is a choice, but for many it's a choice between being happy and being miserable. Why choose to be miserable?

5. Gen

Gen

I am about as homosexual as humanly possible, but that doesn't change the fact that I am a consenting individual carrying out my actions with similar consenting individuals. It doesn't matter if I woke up one morning wanting to be with a man or if it was genetic deposition; it still stands as no one else's damn business.

6. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I would choose to be straight, quite honestly. I am sexually attracted to women, yet for some reason I also dislike most women since I was mistreated and hurt by so many. I have to live a life of fear and avoidance of relationships just so I don't get hurt by another heterocentric woman again.

I would probably be happier if I had legit attraction to men, but because I don't I have to stay miserable.

7. Acm

Acm Guest

I don't understand why anyone would choose to be LGBT, it's not fun or easy. I think people are born that way. I have seen a few people calling themselves LGBT when they're not for political reasons (it's usually just online I think) and it always annoys me.

8. Meander

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If this viewpoint is controversial, then I apologize up-front.

I do not think that being gay is a choice, but I do not think a person is born gay or straight. I have a theory in my head that human beings are born bisexual and that if a person changes once they mature, then it is the sum of the person's psychology, a factor that is unique for each individual person.

Again, as it is a theory, I am not going to say that this is right or wrong. I will not impose it and force anyone to believe it. I am merely stating my perspective on this argument by taking a third option.

9. I know right? I just wished they would be able to understand that - But I think they are just so stuck on what the mis-translations in the Bible say that they just ignore those things. Most religious people I know (other than myself, though I'm not really religious, I just focus on my relationship with God!) are all like "Well, since God said it's wrong in the Bible, it must be a choice" and all of that >< And exactly, you choose to date\have sex with someone of the same sex, but not your attraction to the same sex. In fact, even dating or having sex with someone of the same gender doesn't make you gay! But even choosing to date the same sex isn't wrong - If that's what you want, you should be happy and do it! Thank you for replying :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 18th Jun 2014 at 01:51 PM ----------

That's true, it doesn't even really matter - People should still learn not to discriminate against LGBTQ people even if it was a choice for most gay people because, guess what? We are humans too! It also doesn't hurt anyone, so yeah, you are right, it shouldn't even be used as an excuse to keep treating the LGBTQ community unfairly! Thank you for your response! :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 18th Jun 2014 at 02:12 PM ----------

That's another good point, most gay people would choose to be straight too! See, I just hate when people who barely know anything about gay people try to talk like they know it all:rolle:

I'm sorry about those women that hurt you though :frowning2: Hopefully, you'll find a woman who will treat you like you should be treated! I hope you still find happiness someday with who you are, because you deserve to be happy! If you need anyone to talk to, you let me know!! :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 18th Jun 2014 at 02:14 PM ----------

I know right? It's really not >< And yeah, that's true too, and they shouldn't do that :/ Thanks for replying! :slight_smile:

10. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

Why do you EC wonderful people lost time with this bullshit?

11. Don't apologize, you can have your own opinion! I think it's a mix of both genetics and environment, like most scientists, I think, say. I don't think everyone was born bisexual, but if there were no discrimination towards LGBTQ people, perhaps more people would let themselves be more fluid, I think. Thanks for replying, I liked hearing a different opinion!!!

12. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    This is why I don't agree with the you can label or call yourself whatever you want even if your not it, or everyone is fluid saying movement because people think that people who are gay lesbian are just choosing to be gay or lesbian and lying about it .
    and I have even saw several forums when this subject came up with mostly straight people that said so if everyone is fluid does that mean lesbians and gays were lying all along when they said they couldn't change who they were attracted to when they tried and this actually came from allies that supported gay rights which I was shocked but I guess we're going in that direction and anyone that goes against the humble masses / popular crowd is a label police or judgmental or just as bad as the straight for disagreeing .

#12 stocking, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  13. IG88

"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it.” - Joseph Goebbels, Nazi Minister of Propaganda.

This principle has been used by people since idk how long ... whether intentional or not.

That Christian radio station has an awful argument with the transgender thing. That's why there's different labels, because they mean different things in the acronym LGBT. The host should at least do some research on the subject before assuming things and speaking from what he/she has heard from untrustworthy sources.

But the scary thing is is that some Christians will believe it! They don't have enough information on LBGT issues to come to a sound conclusion, and the information they do get is from Christian sources (which are going to be negative), or from media/TV shows only showing the outlandish/promiscuous gay individuals.

Also, if being gay is a choice, why do so many people harm/kill themselves over a "choice" they made? People would also be incredibly stupid if they choose to be a second class citizen. It would be like a white person in Civil War South "choosing" to be a black slave. It's impossible, and even if they could, it would be completely illogical.

I don't think being gay is a choice. Whether that has resulted from something happening before a person is born, or from early environmental influences, or both, the result is the same: you can't choose who you find attractive. Not even straight people can do that. And if straight people can't do that either, then sexual orientation must be heavily influenced by pre-birth factors, since straight and non-straight people encompass all of humanity across all time, and that entails infinitely many different environments for being raised in, then environmental factors do not play a role, or significant role, in determining who you are attracted to. Idk if that makes sense or is sound logic, but it's making sense in my head currently. :grin:

14. thekillingmoon

I wouldn't trust anyone who says they've chosen to be gay.

15. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sexual orientation is not a choice. The only people who argue against this point are those of a conservative religious persuasion or homophobic bigots. All independent evidence and research tells us that sexual orientation is hardwired from birth. External influences, childhood abuse, emotional malfunction or any other daft suggestion that is offered up as a reason for same sex attraction is bogus and fraudulent. That's why reputable therapists will have nothing to do with conversion or curative therapy.

The choice we make is to live out our orienation or suppress and deny it, but let's be clear, suppression and denial doesn't make it go away or change the reality of who we are.

I'm afraid a conservative Christian radio station will only present one argument as they don't really want to debate the issue beyond a set of narrow parameters. It's up to the people of Louisiana (and elsewhere) to engage their intellect to discover the truth.

#15 PatrickUK, Jun 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  16. Kate Lee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This exactly. The Christian info out there is horribly biast. It is all about choice and sin and reformed gays who left the sinful lifestyle etc. There is no actual neutral information at all and because they sometimes believe that the neutral, i.e. scientific info, is biast in favor of the LGBT's, they'll disqualivy it. You basically can't win that way because there is no neutral opinion on this issue in that particular mindset. (Sadly speaking from experience)

17. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I fully agree with the "born this way" aspect of things, but even if this wasn't the case, I was born with free will in a country where liberty is (presumably) an important value.

If I am wilfully engaging in sexual activities (whether or not I was born this way) with another consenting adult, then, as Gen stated above: it is no one's damned business what I do.

18. Ravi-VIXX777

I can understand where you are coming from. I actually had a nasty debate with my dad about this. He thought being gay was a choice. Most of his arguments were inconsistent. It seems LGBT and some straight people have different definitions of 'gay' and 'straight'.

Most LGBT will define being gay as being ATTRACTED to the same sex, by definition, this is the true version. Some straight people on the other hand define it as ACTION. Meaning it is the sex and relationships that define someone as gay-not the attraction. What is wrong with that definition is that, you can be bisexual, or you can gay but be in a straight relationship as a coverup.

Some straight people assume that everyone is ATTRACTED to the opposite sex, but people will have sex with the same sex. This is inconsistent. The only people that would have a 'choice' would be bisexuals. They can choose at different moments in their life which gender to have a relationship with.

My assumption is that people totally forget that bisexuality exists and that sexuality is black and white-which is not the case!

19. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^Another problem with all this choice vs. innate debate is the continuum. There is a scale of same-sex vs. opposite sex attractions, it's a matter of degree.

If I am only 80% gay and 20% hetero, or 60-40% is it not a choice if I engage in same-sex relationships? And if it is a choice...so fucking what?

20. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with you as to it NOT being a choice. The propensity is hard wired. However, how it plays out can be manifested by things which happen in one's development. I really do.

A lesbian may grow up in a household where her dad has treated the mother like dirt and has even insulted her across the years. She may decide she doesn't feel comfortable with men. The heterosexual woman with the same experiences may choose men who are just like her father or 180 different to avoid marrying her dad. How they respond depends on the hard wiring and temperament.

A gay or bi man may have had a tough time with his mom and/or girls during the years of social rites of passage. He doesn't feel comfortable with or resents women. Conversely, he can get a bumper crop of decent looking guys in the sack. The response becomes conditioned. On the other hand, a straight guy will put up with all kinds of abuse or rejection because he is not considered a good suitor or unattractive that he takes his search internationally because he so badly wants a female significant other. And some of these guys are nerds. Yet, some of the guys who say "enough already" may be reasonably attractive. Again, how they respond depends on the hard wiring and temperament.

What one decides to do with their sexual urges is a "choice." Do I care or judge them? No. You're entitled to enjoy your sexual urges with other consenting and capable individuals of age. I have.

So, it's both hard wired and then shaped by environment. Secular experts or university researchers who are secular also agree with this point of view. I had read such an article about 3 days ago, but did not bookmark it. And, correct, the vile, dogmatic, and complicated phobes with an agenda operating under the umbrella of a church group are the ones who say it's 100% choice. And, when did they choose to be straight, if that's what they "really" are?

That's what I think. And that's post #3,000.