1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does it make sense to call myself gay even though it's more nuanced?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by zahhhaks, Jun 24, 2014.

1. zahhhaks

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Basically, if I had to describe my sexual orientation and my romantic orientation, I'd come up with something like "homoromantic bisexual", because I'm only interested in dating guys and only develop for feelings for guys but still get sexual feelings towards girls occasionally. Lately though, I've been self-labelling as "gay" more often, since it's more descriptive of what I'll be doing dating-wise? Like, if I only want to actually be with guys, then it wouldn't make that much sense to drag false hope into it for anybody else :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Do you think that makes sense or?

2. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You can just tell girls you don't want a relationship with them and not sex
    One thing I can't get with some people who are a homoromantic bisexual is why do they think they will hurt people if they tell them their bi and don't want a relationship with them and just sex ? Lots of people of any orientation have causal sex with anyone . :confused:
    I think the only reason you prefer calling yourself gay is because most people don't believe a man can be bisexual so it's easier to just go with gay .
    I honestly think you can't accept the fact that your bi so you prefer calling yourself gay .
    Which I wonder what is wrong with being bi why are so many people scared of it these days ?

#2 stocking, Jun 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  3. birdking

dude yeah if that's what makes you comfortable, go for it

4. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your romantic orientation is gay, so it makes perfect sense to say you're gay. It doesn't matter if you're also bisexual.

5. Yeah, makes perfect sense. If you're trying to quickly communicate what kind of partner you're looking for/interested in having, then the simplest explanation possible is just easier.

If you're having an in-depth conversation with someone about your various orientations/preferences, then it makes more sense to explain the nuanced bits.

Just depends on the situation.

6. Acm

Acm Guest

Yeah if you're mainly just interested in guys it makes sense to me

7. jaack6528

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You DONT have to label yourself at all! All these labels are made up to make them "fit in" to their own social group. Labels can have both positive nd negative effects. By not being pidgeon-holed into a laabel be flexible. Maybe you can be metrosexual or NO LABEL at all.

Just be true to yourself. don't let others determine your happiness

Regards,
    jaack6528