1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Avoiding my life

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by BelleLey, Jun 25, 2014.

1. BelleLey

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Sometimes i just feel like i'm avoiding my own life. I'll be 24 next month and i have never dated, or even kissed, anyone. I don't go out, i don't mingle, most of the time i'm fine on my own. But i realise that i tend to use reading and watching ( a lot) of shows to keep me from thinking about my life, my sexual orientation, my loneliness. When i have too much time for myself, i start thinking about what's wrong with me, or who i'm attracted to. Then i get really confused and a bit depressed.
    Am i the only one ? How can i get passed that ? Any advice is welcome.
    (I hope it made some sens, i normally speak french)

2. GeekMonkey

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can relate, then again i have social phobia, which is kind of forcing me to avoid life, I wish I didn't avoid it as much.

The simple answer is: just get out more. Try new things, and eventually you'll figure out what you like, not just sexually.

If you're brave you could go to a pride event or a gay bar, if you're more shy, you might wanna try meeting like-minded people from your area online first, or take a friend if you know anyone who'd go places like that.

All I know that in the long run, avoidance doesn't make issues go away, but it makes them more and more pressing, and harder to solve.

3. BelleLey

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I do feel like the longer i wait, the harder it gets.. I wanted to go to a pride event to see how it was but there isn't any near where i live. Gay bar is not really an option, i'd be too shy. But I guess i have to try to get out more, i'm gonna work on that. Thanks for the reply.

4. SheWhoHasNoName

I know exactly how you feel. most of the time i just dont want to deal with other people

5. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There's nothing wrong with you, you're probably just a bit introverted and lack some social skills. It's called social skills, you know, and as a skill it can be improved by practice. I don't know, but if you like reading maybe you can go to read to some place public, like a cafe or a tearoom. What are you reading is a good pick up line if someone's interested. :icon_wink If you like watching TV shows, there are many people who like being part of a fandom and who enjoy fangirling about their favourite TV shows, on twitter for example. You can meet people that way as well.

6. BelleLey

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks, really have to make a lot of efforts, reading in public seems like an easy way to start. I think i'll give it a try.