1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Fangirling" vs...

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Tai, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    (Sorry if this is in the wrong board. I wasn't sure whether the sexual orientation board was correct or the gender identity board for my question.)

I've noticed that with characters in books, movies, manga, anime, and video games, if a straight girl (I don't know if lesbians or bisexual girls are into this or not) ships two guys together, they are still considered straight and they are just "fangirling." (This makes sense to me, I'm not trying to disprove it.) I would assume gay men would like ships like this as well, as it's the pairing of their sexual orientation, the pairing they are attracted to and relate with.

But I do this too, and I'm still trying to sort out whether I'm trans-male or not (calling myself genderfluid for now). So, knowing that I may be trans-male, do I ship fictional men together because of my gender identity while I am sexually attracted to men (making me gay) or because I'm "fangirling?" Or maybe a mixture of both?

Just curious, as the question popped into my mind earlier today.

2. saa412

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I totally understand this. I am most certainly a fangirl who sinks with her ships!

What is it about shipping those characters that is attractive to you?

3. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hmm... Well, usually I find both of the guys in the ship attractive... ^^" But I love the masculine energy in the pairing that I don't get with straight or lesbian pairings because they don't have as much masculinity in them. It's just like at school when a guy and girl are going out and all the girls say, "They're so cute together!" Except I get that "They're so cute" feeling with a gay pairing rather than straight or lesbian ones. (No offense to them! Just not into that myself.) Sometimes I'll pretend I'm one of the guys in the pairing. But it doesn't work in my head because I have gender dysphoria and have grown up believing I was supposed to be a girl...

4. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't know how's that related, in my case it's probably linked more to my sexual orientation. I love reading femslash fanfics and have many ships, most of them are lesbian, even though I do have a few straight ships too. I'm not interested in m/m relationships much though, it gets me bored. When the gender identity comes into play is when I read about or watch straight sex, that time I tend to identify with the male character.

5. whosamelia

Man I have too many ships... don't get me started. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Mostly m/m, a little bit of f/f, but m/f ships make me... bored? That sounds odd doesn't it...

6. Hexagon

I'm guessing you ship them because they're adorable together. Try not to read too much into it, it gets terribly confusing.

7. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I'm not sure if pairings match sexuality and gender identity, really? Best example was a video game my sister and I played; both as female characters. I'm gay, but my girl ended up with a boyfriend, and she's straight, yet her girl ended up with a girlfriend. Both us tend to just be generally open-minded with shippings and like anything with good compatibility.

8. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hmm, thanks for the replies.