1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just wanted to say thanks...

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by HockeyGirl, Jul 4, 2014.

1. HockeyGirl

Hi everyone.

Starting 4-5 months ago I began to acknowledge that I wasn't the straight person I had been pretending to be for far too long, and it hit me like a ton of bricks. At 28 years old, realizing that you had spent years avoiding and compartmentalizing your feelings, and lying so much to everyone and yourself that you actually believed your own lie, is a devastating blow. I was obsessing over my sexuality, dealing with the fact that I have always supported and even worked for LGBT rights in my state (as a deeply closeted straight ally) yet I was afraid to deal with my own feelings for women and the fact that I may be gay or bi. It was a hard first couple of months, but I've been working through it, and I've come to fully acknowledge and accept and my feelings for women and the fact that I am not straight, and so far this acceptance has been amazing for me.

The reason I'm posting is because I wanted to thank you people on this site, the sexual orientation board in particular, because it helped me so much (even as a lurker too afraid to put my own story on here). I was able to relate to many stories and questions on here, and the answers given helped me work through my own questions. I wish I had had the courage before to reply to threads that I related to or that helped me, but it was hard for me to talk about this (even anonymously) then, and it still is a little now but it's getting better. I still have some questions that I need to work through, including the possibility of coming out, and I'm hoping soon I can find the right words and be able to share my story here.

For now I just wanted to say thank you everyone, and this site in general, for giving people a safe place to post (or just read) about questioning/realizing/accepting your sexuality. You guys are great :slight_smile:

2. irishluck

Out Status:
    Some people
    I am just starting my journey into discovering and accepting my own sexual identity and wanted to say reading your story has inspired me! I am new to the site and I agree with your comments about this supportive community. Thank you for posting and I wish you the best.

3. freeapril

Hi! I have been feeling the same way, and I am the same age :slight_smile: It's been really helpful for me to read all the questions/replies and also very helpful to know I am not alone in having this experience.

4. HockeyGirl

Thanks :slight_smile: It really makes a world of difference to know you are not alone and others have been in the same position you're in.