1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips on being patient?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by irishluck, Jul 5, 2014.

1. irishluck

Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi everyone, I'm new to the site and have a lot of questions, however first I wanted to ask for your tips/insight into being patient with yourself and others while figuring out your orientation. Long story short, I am questioning my sexual/romantic orientation now at age 27...after thinking I was straight my entire life, I fell head-over-heels for an older lesbian co-worker last year and the two of us are now together. She is my first romantic relationship partner.

I am currently experiencing a lot of self-doubt about who I am...I don't see any clear childhood signs that I would be gay, however from reading on here I'm aware that's not how it works for everyone. When I met her, my girl was in a long term committed relationship that just recently ended. She insists my influence did not play a role in that and I believe her. I had never planned to tell her my feelings, however about 8 months ago after some alcohol I told her everything and turned out she felt the same way. I have been very open with her regarding my questioning status - the last thing in the world I would want is to hurt her or make her feel misled as I am figuring myself out. We are both very much in love.

What tips/advice (the more specific, the better!) does everyone have regarding being patient? With yourself, with others (like my parents - yikes! My dad is not happy about the situation), etc. I don't know yet if I am 100% gay, or just bisexual, or straight with this one woman as my exception. I wish I knew which label best fits me, but I just can't say yet. It is SO hard to be patient with myself and the pressure from others, while I figure this out. It's also interesting that some friends/family have been surprised about the relationship, while others are not surprised at all, like "oh yeah that makes sense".

Whether you "always knew" or if it was a slower process of identifying and accepting, I would appreciate any tips you have regarding patience, or any other tips for me as I navigate my relationship. I am trying to avoid labeling myself for now and just enjoy the relationship and focus on her. It's just hard some days that I can't seem to find a label that fits yet.

2. wanderinggirl

Being patient is hard because you don't know if/when you'll stop questioning. You don't have an endpoint for this process. So just get comfortable with that, and stay mindful of what you want/need at any point in time. Don't force things one way or another.

3. mangotree

Try to learn to accept what IS - rather than what will be, won't be, might be, mightn't be / was, wasn't, might have been, mightn't have been.

There's millions of books, audiobooks, podcasts etc.. on the subject :slight_smile:

4. Melanie

Melanie Guest

lol I just responded on the other thread that you posted on and then saw this one... my thing is to NOT let people pressure you into taking a position on your sexuality.

You're in a relationship with a woman. This should speak volumes to you :slight_smile:

What I didnt address in the other thread was that for me on some level I always knew but dismissed it. I also believe that other people saw it but couldnt really say anything... I mean, what do you say to someone that you think is gay when they seemingly arent even aware of it?