1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Orientation fluidity?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by transnerd, Jul 6, 2014.

1. transnerd

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi everyone,

I've always been attracted to women, and even now as I'm trying to sort out this sense that I may indeed identify as more female than male, I still am very much attracted to women. At least mostly, up until recently.

There's been a handful of times that I've found myself acknowledging when some guys were attractive--ya know, like some people are just so damn attractive, even non-gays have to admit. But lately I've had a few incidents where it was more like sexual attraction... And that scares me a little bit.

Has anyone experienced this? I'm still 99% attracted to women, but there's that random 1% that pops up now and then. I'm sort of confused, has anyone here experienced even a mild bit of orientation fluidity (or whatever this is), and how did you deal with it?

2. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Many people experience fluidity in their sexuality, so don't be freaked out.
    As far as dealing with it goes, in my opinion is just comes down to accepting that you're not 100% lesbian.
    Your sexuality, or sexual attraction to certain people, can be dependent on a lot of variables: your mood, your hormones, the environment you're in, etc.

I know it's odd to have those rare occasions where you do have a sexual attraction to guys, but almost everybody's sexuality is not simple enough to be described simply as "gay" or "lesbian", so don't feel scared that you don't conform to the label.
    It's always important to remember that labels are just labels, and honestly, there's no one true way to describe your sexual feelings 100% of the time; it's just too complex.

3. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes I can relate. It's a confusing time for me also. I don't really understand how it is that I have become, this year, increasingly attracted to (effeminate) guys, but I'm trying to just flow with it, and see where this journey leads. At present I think I am either bi or gay, not sure which as yet. Only time, and experience, will tell.

It's understandable to feel some apprehension. I still do from time to time. This morning I tried to 'get off' on beautiful women again, as I used to. When I found I could not, I must admit a part of me was a little disturbed, like, "what is going on here?!" But we can't force sexual attraction, it is beyond rational control, it is something we feel. And since there is not even the slightest thing 'wrong' with being either lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or whatever, we can journey freely through any or all of these if we so choose, and just see where the journey leads.

Damien :slight_smile:

#3 Damien, Jul 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  4. GeekMonkey

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can relate.
    I love women, I have always loved women, I want to be with them sexually, emotionally, all the possible ways. I want to spend my life with a woman and have a family with her.
    But then every once in a blue moon I feel ( mostly physical or sexual) attraction towards a guy and I'm always irritated and like " What's that all about?!"
    Then again very few people are 100% this or that, there are plenty for whom there is some level of fluidity.
    I'd say just accept it as part of the spectrum of attraction you can feel and decide whether or not to act on it based on how strong it is, your lifestyle etc.

5. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thinking some one is attractive in my opinion has nothing to do with sexuality , it's if you want to sleep with them or not

6. elover

Out Status:
    Some people
    I completely identify with what you're going through, and I think I'm in a similar phase as you, having come out to myself as trans recently but still very much appearing to be male on the outside. It's a bit odd looking at a beautiful woman and being both sexually attracted to her and wanting to look more like her. I always knew I was mildly attracted to guys too, but gay male sex does little for me. But lately, I love the idea of being with a man as a woman. I still love women; I'd say I'm more 50/50 bi. I think few people are really 100% straight or 100% gay. For me, I'm trying to look at things positively, even though I still have a lot of fears. And I'm glad that because your experience is similar to mine, I don't feel as alone.

7. transnerd

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks everyone, I'm feeling a little more encouraged about things. :slight_smile: Nice to know I'm not alone in this boat. I never thought of orientation as spectrum, as much as gender. Hmm...