1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Enough angst, I know what I am.

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Damien, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Earlier this year, when I began allowing myself same-sex attraction (in addition to opposite-sex attraction), I initially felt elated, as though a whole richer sexual world had opened up to me. Then, as I began hearing from a few folks about how bisexuals are mistrusted even by some in the lgbt community, I began to think it would be better to rather be just 'one or the other', ie, either gay, or straight. Because, since my adolescence I have never really fitted in anywhere socially. I have always felt excluded especially by straight guys, who have seemed to have this mistrust of me, who am a little unusual due to a kind of gentleness about me, which to be honest is one of the things I actually like about myself, and incidentally, I do not regard as an indicator of gayness, either. Furthermore, as though to make up for years of suppression, I dived in almost maniacally into gay fantasy, and almost exclusively began fantasizing to guys, which lasted right up to just yesterday. My desire to finally feel like I fitted in somewhere (ie, if I were exclusively gay, I would be more accepted in the lgbt world than if I were bi), combined with my then current guy-obsession, led me to either want, or think, that I might be exclusively gay, and not bisexual as I had at first thought. I thought to myself, if I were exclusively gay, I would gain more acceptance in the lgbt world, and possibly more here at ec also, a place I am growing to love. But yesterday I fessed up to myself, I cannot hide what I know any longer. Of course I still like girls. "Stop lying to yourself", I said. "You are just going to have to accept that you are what is termed 'bisexual', and if that means that some lgbt folks will mistrust or reject you for it, well that is a pity, but you need to be true to yourself."

I like guys and girls. I can't help it. I wish the lgbt folks who look down on this would realize that just as they can't help being gay, we bi's can't help being bisexual. Please fully accept us, just as we fully accept you. (I have not encountered any such discrimination here at ec, not ever! - that was a sort of plea sent out to the lgbt world at large, so to speak.)

To once again dispel one of those false notions about bisexuals, yes if I fall for a guy I could be loyal only to him. I only love one person at a time, I'm not a philanderer. Just as if I fell for a girl, I would be loyal only to her. (I read that some folks think that, because we bi's like both sexes, we would be incapable of fidelity.)

I think this is how I truly feel, that somewhere deep in myself I always knew it, and that I am now finally beginning to accept it.

In peace and love to the entire lgbt community here,

Damien. <3

2. Jenna0780

I truly admire you for this. Thank you. And congrats!

3. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you so much. I'm wiping tears away darn it.

4. wanderinggirl

*slow clap*

You win at life.

5. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Any other bi's here, do you know how I feel? I can appreciate the beauty of the male body, and the female body. They are both so beautiful; I could love and ravish a man, just as I could love and ravish a woman. Is this really so bad?

6. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Bisexuality is real, there is nothing to feel bad about. You are who you are, and you needed to try on another identity for a while in order to learn that it did not fit for you, that is more than most people do in order to live with integrity.

7. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks greatwhale, I appreciate that.

8. Jenna0780

I know exactly how you feel. There's both internal and external pressure to be on one side or the other. Often times, when I was struggling, I would feel cut off from both the LGBT community because it's dominantly gay, and the straight community for obvious reasons, feeling like I fit in with both, and didn't fit in with either one (yes, even though the B in LGBT is just for us) all at the same time. It's not bad at all, it's who you are, just as another person who is gay is just... gay. We all just need to accept that within ourselves, no matter what other people say.

9. Omg, yay, I'm so happy that you are now confident in who you are!!:icon_bigg

I know what you mean, other than religion, all of the pressure of being monosexual from society also stinks. I remember trying to be exclusively straight, but that didn't work out. Since I mainly have sexual attraction only towards women (I'm more biromantic than my sexual), I even tried to just focus on women, but that didn't work out either. I don't see why some people still can't accept the fact that bisexuality is real and that we can fall in love with either gender. Especially with LGBTQ folks, I hope one day we can get rid of biphobia within the same community - Of course, like you said, EC has been kind to us, so no worries here^^

I will always support you as you are and you shoudn't care about biphobes - They'll learn eventually. Continue to be yourself and I'm always here if you need to talk too(*hug*)

10. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That was my experience recently. The thought of just being straight again, well obviously not gonna happen hehe...the thought of being exclusively gay, did not feel right either, although I did try it on for a while; but when I simply accept this ability to see the beauty and charm of both sexes, I feel free, and it's the only time I do.
    Thank you, shedding tears again. Just so you know, the support I am receiving here from everyone means so much to me.

11. TheStormInside

I'm glad you've figured it out and accepted yourself, Damien :slight_smile: . Just as gay people are who they are, and straight people are who they are, bisexuals deserve the same respect. I read somewhere that the confusing thing about bisexuality is that there exists that illusion of "choice," but being bisexual is just a part of who you are like any other sexuality, and all it means is there may be a wider spectrum of people you fall for. You can't choose to be gay or choose to be straight any more than anyone else can.

12. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you for your support, TheStormInside. :slight_smile: I read yesterday (it was Kinsey actually) that we humans have a tendency to want to categorize things neatly into 'one' or 'the other', but that in the realm of sexuality it isn't that simple, that there exist gradations on a spectrum. In my case I feel like it's pretty much equal, my attraction to guys and to girls, but for others it could be more of one than the other, even as a bisexual. And of course some folks feel fully gay or straight. All falling within a spectrum, not into a neat one-size-fits-all box.

#12 Damien, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  13. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congratulations, and I completely agree with what you said in your OP.

It's a good moment when you finally know what you are.

14. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you, it was harder to do than I thought it would be (to even say it here), but the support I have received has made it so much easier. Now I just have to work on 'the world out there'...
    :slight_smile:

15. the gypsy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm glad you found your way.

Don't be afraid. The hardest part is over now. Once you can be honest within yourself, everything else is only a map of what is effortless.

16. 101DeadRoses

Nothing bad about that. I adore your post, very indicative of a good personality and good mind.

Bisexys unite!! :eusa_danc (*hug*)

17. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks gypsy. :slight_smile:
    Someone here has a sig that says. "It is better to be despised for what one is, than to be loved for what one is not". I can't recall who has the sig, or who originally said that, but it resonates with me and my decision to be fully honest with myself, which then resulted in me wanting to also disclose it here. The hardest part, ironically, was admitting it to myself.

---------- Post added 9th Jul 2014 at 11:22 AM ----------

Thank you :slight_smile:

'Bisexys unite' I love that!

#17 Damien, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  18. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

Spiffy story mate, good on you. Keep it up. :thumbsup:
    No really, well done and written. I fully support your notion!

Now you see, I'm in a bit of a predicament, as one part of your OP hit a nerve.

It's different for every single one of us, so the way you are, who are you, and how you chose to explain it, are absolutely perfect for your case.

But while we are at pleading for more acceptance towards us bi's, I'd really appreciate some more tolerance for polygamous people, no matter the orientation, thank you very much. I'm not full-blown poly, but I am able to love more than one person at a time, and be in a relationship with more than one person at a time. And yes, those can actually work out. And if they don't, I'm fine being with just one person.

Alas... you see... I -cannot- help falling in love with more person at a time, if I meet the right ones at the right time. There is absolutely nothing I can do about it. It happened before, it will happen again. That's just how it is. It is in my nature, and I am not alone.

It has -nothing- to do with choosing a lewd lifestyle (Some do that, but out of pure selfishness, nothing to do with love). It just happens. Happens to be. As with any orientation.

I. Can. Not. Help. Falling. In. Love. With. More. Than. One. Person. At. The. Same. Time. At. Times. It. Is. In. My. Nature. I. Do. Not. Control. It.

I apologise for hijacking your thread for my purposes here, but since everyone took your OP so well, I just could not resist making a bit of a plea for us poly-by-nature people out there. We seem to get the worst end of the stick all the time when it comes to acceptance, and if we happen to be bi as well, oh dear, we're screwed.

Thank you for your time, I hope my words don't fall on deaf ears.
    Always remember... just because monogamy is in YOUR nature, that doesn't mean polygamy can be in ANOTHERS nature. So many living beings. All so different. Don't stop at LGBT orientations when it comes to acceptance.

Gosh, here I am, rambling.
    Once again, I apologise for hijacking your thread - it's 04:22 here, and I really need to get some sleep.

Cheers,
    Raven

19. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good for you~! ^.^

20. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi Black Raven,
    what I wrote was purely a rebuttal of one of the common aspersions cast at bisexuals, and had nothing to do with me being critical of folks who have a polygamous orientation, just to make that clear. It isn't my thing, but I have no problem with anyone else who feels that way. I repeat, I was rebutting a misconception about bi's, that is all.
    Love your nick by the way
    Damien. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 9th Jul 2014 at 12:46 PM ----------

Thank you Yuri! :slight_smile:
    By the way, I like your sig "cute is justice" even though I don't actually know what it means :lol:
    Damien