1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm not bisexual, but I have no other name for it...

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Mae, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Mae

Mae

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So for a long time I've always considered myself bisexual since from the beginning of high school to my birth I've only ever known that there were two genders. Now that I've first hand experienced a relationship with a MtoF transgender, I feel that my sexual orientation is grossly ignorant and "out of date".

I feel like pansexual fits the bill, although I don't feel attracted to all genders/those without a gender. Is Polysexual a thing? I'm just so curious and want to quit lying to those around me by using a word that doesn't fit ME.

2. PinkCammelia90

Yes, polysexuality is a real thing, but it's slightly different to pansexuality.

Polysexuality tends to refer to a sexual preference for multiple genders including non-cisgendered persons. This doesn't necessarily mean that you find all variations sexually attractive, but it does mean your bracket for sexual attraction extends beyond (male) and (female).

Pansexuality has also been referred to as 'gender-blindness'; this means that you may find any person of any gender sexually attractive.

The key difference is that pansexuality may be recognised as a sexual preference in spite of sex or gender, whereas polysexuality is a term that aims to broaden the scope of bisexuality i.e. to encompass/include a non-cis-subscribed gender, as well.

I hope that was relatively clear and/or helpful.

In all honesty, I wouldn't fret so much about the label you choose for yourself. Obviously, sexual identity is an important part of who you are, but don't stress yourself out over what you 'should' identify as, it does you no favours. Go with what feels comfortable for you.

3. Hexagon

Bisexuals can be attracted to binary trans people, trans men and trans women. As we are men and women.

4. Candace

You could still be bisexual due to the fact that they still are one gender or the other.

5. PinkCammelia90

I wasn't insinuating at all that trans-men and trans-women aren't men and women. I was saying that polysexuality and pansexuality encompass a broader range of gender/sexual identity expressions. For example, if an individual identified as agender.

It's true, though, that bisexuality is not restricted to attraction to cisgender persons. It does, however imply an attraction to male and female identities (hence the 'bi', meaning 'two'). Poly/pan-sexuality is broader than that.

#5 PinkCammelia90, Jul 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2014