1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did you ever confuse your gayness with ocd?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Eric Dave, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Eric Dave

Eric Dave Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I have been terrified Im gay for 7yrs. There are too many things to list but there are tons and tons of things I question. I went to a sex therapist who said Im straight. I dont believe her. I went to see Dr, Steven Phillipson who is an ocd expert and he said I had ocd not gayness but I dont believe anyone. I read things on here and I find some similarities but also lots of dissimilarities also.

I have posted on here many times and posted my story if anyone wants to read it.

Has anyone been diagnosed with ocd only to find out they were actually just gay and not accepting it?

2. anonymous7

anonymous7 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    dude, I have been terrified that i'm gay everyday for the past few years, its really starting to mess up my life. It's fucked up because im thinking about coming out even though im not sure im gay at all, I am attracted to women but fear that its false, I am very conflicted and back and forth all time between wtf is real or not. sometimes i think im straight, sometimes bi, sometimes gay, sometimes any other fing thing my mind can come up with.. I would love to get it off my mind alllll daaay loong! I'm sorry to respond with my problems and not an answer.. I just felt i could relate to your post.

3. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    have you tried (excuse this i hope i am not insensitive or anything) experimenting, i know that probably wont help your ocd but it might calm your mind for a bit and if it does not you could try a therapist or medication, sorry i am not much help

4. Eric Dave

Eric Dave Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    No its fine thanks. I have no wish to experiment tbh. Its something that terrifies me. A guy came onto me in a niteclub a while ago and I was freaked out and had to leave the club.

I dont mean to be offensve or homophobic. This fear started at age 25 and since then mygroin has started to react when I see guys and it frightens me.

5. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    oh why does it frighten you?

6. TheStormInside

Hey Eric Dave. I don't have OCD but I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder which causes me to have a lot of anxiety and obsessive thoughts, too. I am also pretty sure I'm gay. And being me, I've been pretty obsessed with that subject. It's constantly, I mean constantly, on my mind. But here are (maybe) some differences between me and yourself?

I am not terrified of the fact that I'm attracted to women. I am terrified of coming out and facing discrimination from others, but the attraction itself is a pleasant thing. I have had crushes on women in the past, significant crushes that most women would have on men, and the more I think about it the more information like this seems to reveal itself to me, despite my heavy denial for years. I don't seem to have much, if any sexual attraction to men. I've spoken to my therapist about it and though she was surprised, she definitely didn't tell me I'm straight.

I'm not familiar with your story, do those things differ for you, or no?

Are you still seeing a therapist? And have you tried medication for your OCD?

7. Eric Dave

Eric Dave Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Im not on meds no. I had weekley sessions for about a year but it didnt really help long term. Im scred when my groin reacts to men and worry when it doesnt react to girls.
    I suppose I was brought up in an anti gay environment (not at home) but in society. Not like the weirdos is the southern states but just gay people were considered weirdos so maybe thats it. My parents know about this. I tell them Im convinced Im gay over and over every day. They think im nuts :frowning2:

---------- Post added 17th Jul 2014 at 11:35 AM ----------

I keep thinking Im in denial and the signs are there. I never had crushes on guys growing up but I have read that many of you didnt either.

8. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    wow im sorry for that, is there anyone you can talk to about this? has your sexuality always been like this or is this new?

9. Eric Dave

Eric Dave Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Oh besides not wanting to experiment, I fear that it would really arouse me too

10. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    what about women?

11. Eric Dave

Eric Dave Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I was a late bloomer so Im told. Cant remember having any interest in sex or having any crushes before age 13/14.

Then after that I started masturbating regularly to girls only. I believed I was straight and happy being straight. But I have read some gay guys say on her ethey also masturbated about girls and never realised they were gay.

---------- Post added 17th Jul 2014 at 11:44 AM ----------

My full story here:

http://emptyclosets.com/forum/lgbt-later-life/133925-very-unusual-story-am-i-gay.html

12. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    um im very sorry but i REALLY cant read that, im legally blind and it would cause some SERIOUS eye fatigue, can you give me the cliff-notes, if you can?

13. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi Eric,

I think you might benefit from getting some professional counselling about this fear. Just make sure it's a secular counsellor who will be able to give impartial, non-religious help. Because although I was 'straight' for twenty five years (or so I thought), when 'that feeling' happens to me - that arousal you speak of - I am learning that it's perfectly ok, natural, good, nothing wrong with it at all. Guys can be attractive, that's just reality. Even when I was straight (or thought I was) I found the occasional guy interesting.

In my case, I think the religious folk did a pretty effective job on me early in my life, making me feel bad about being attracted to guys as well as girls. I'm learning how to let go of that early conditioning and those guilt-trips they burdened me with, and the more I accept that it's ok for me to get aroused by, and I have to be direct, actually 'get off' on guys, I am feeling sexually liberated. Free. That's the only way I can describe it.

I know it's hard for you, with this fear that comes up. So do get some professional advice on how to overcome it, and preferably someone who is educated about lgbt issues. Your 'fear' is unnecessary, but I think you need to discuss it, to find that out.

take care,
    Damien. :slight_smile:

#13 Damien, Jul 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  14. TheStormInside

I think it would probably benefit you to go back to therapy, and talk to the therapist about starting medication, as well. If your previous therapist didn't work out you can try seeing someone different this time.

For a long time I resisted meds myself, but they've helped me a lot since I've started on them. I'm far more functional now than I used to be. If your therapist agrees it's something you should seriously consider. You probably need to deal with your OCD before really determining your sexuality. I couldn't even think about stuff like relationships for a long time because I was so wrapped up in the day to day minutiae my anxiety would make me focus on.

I don't think it's a good idea to look for "negative" signs like an absence of crushes on guys, that's like a non-sign. If you were in denial, would you really think you're gay everyday? Wouldn't you be telling yourself "I'm straight"? I know that's what I told myself when I was in denial, though I also can't pretend to be an expert on it.

15. Eric Dave

Eric Dave Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thought I was straight.
    Had an unconflicted and happy adolescence although was too shy and went to an all boys school so never met girls until age 19.
    Got mononucleosis from kissing a girl.
    Was sick for 2 months in bed. Developed erection problems during the sickness which has resulted in me not getting proper erections since 2001.

6ys of worrying about it and then I think I must be gay. Start testing myself to gay thoughts etc. Panic sets in ever since.

Analysing my thoughts, reactions, and past over and over with fine toothcomb.

16. anonymous7

anonymous7 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I have thought that experimenting might be the only way to ease my mind on the ever persistant subject, but don't really know how to go about it.. maybe it would help you too? I mean, I'm in constant fear that I'm gay,, only one way to find out?

17. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ok thank you and i agree with Damien, you might need professional help with this

18. Eric Dave

Eric Dave Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    The thing is I've talked to a sex therapist. Non religious. I dont believe in all that religious crap anyway about sin and hell etc.. I am not religious.

Dr.Phillipson told me he is also a sex therapist aswell as an ocd therapist. I discussed everything from the intensity or orgasms to the amount I ejaculated to gay v straight thoughts.

I cant see any way out of this other than being gay but it fills me with terror. When my groin reacts to guys its like my body is raping me. Its not pleasant but my body is reacting.

It never reacted to guys before this fear started. I could see naked men or guys with six packs etc.. I actually remember thinking ''what do girls find attractive about men?'' because girls bodies seemed so much sexier and beautifyl.

However its like my whole sexual orientation changed overnight.
    My groin is reacting seeing guys in magazines. on tv, in films on the street etc and its terrifying.

My sex drive to women has completely gone.

19. anonymous7

anonymous7 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Is anyone from the UK here? do you know if its possible to get free professional help from a psychologist or a therapist or do you have to pay for these things?

20. Eric Dave

Eric Dave Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I spoke to a different sex therapist beside Dr, Phillipson. I want to clear that up.