1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In a lesbian relationship, but questioning my sexuality??

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by earlgrey, Jul 17, 2014.

1. earlgrey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I know that the title sounds horrible, but please hear me out.

I've known I probably wasn't straight since I was 12 or 13. Around this time I was looking for answers about my sexuality and ended up exchanging dirty messages with a girl online. I felt very guilty and ashamed afterwards and all of these feelings became linked with my sexuality. Since then I have played around with a few different labels. At different points in my life I've identified as lesbian, straight, bisexual, heteroflexible, homoflexible, pansexual, literally everything. But I've never been 100% sure of what I truly am. It was really stressful for a long time, but I was finally able to push aside these feelings and made a conscious decision to date boys and ignore any feelings I had for women. I decided not to address these questions until they became an issue.

Flash forward a few years, and I met her. As soon as we met I knew that this was different from any other friendship. We got very close very quickly. I thought I was falling in love with her. I went through so many stages of denial, of acceptance, of wanting to make a move or being terrified to actually love her. This went on for over a year before we kissed and decided we wanted to be more than friends one night while we were drunk. That was 2 months ago and since then things have been a little crazy.

I have anxiety and some OCD tendencies, mainly when it comes to my inner self and not completely understanding myself. So naturally, I was happy, but also conflicted. I've had more crushes on guys than on women, but I'm not sure if it's just because that's what society expects of me? Thinking back on my last relationship (with a boy), I feel that things were sort of awkward and I was very nervous all the time, but that may just be because it was my first relationship, and he realized he was gay in the first few months but carried on with our relationship for over a year. Naturally I was scared of that happening to me again, or doing that to her. I was afraid that I would be with her forever, afraid that I wouldn't be with her forever. I also still had that constant fear in the back of my head, "what if I'm lying to myself and I'm not really gay". As time goes on, our relationship becomes more and more physical. I think she's very beautiful and sexy and just making out with her can make me more aroused than I've ever been in my life. I love kissing her and touching her, but last time I was at her house we took off our shirts and bras. It was nice but the whole time I felt a little detached from the experience. I was so preoccupied with thoughts of "do I enjoy this" that I couldn't actually enjoy the experience. Since then I've felt physically sick because I'm afraid that I'm not gay. Every few hours I am having severe anxiety attacks because I am scared that I will have to break up with my girlfriend whom I love more than I've ever loved anyone before, or that I will stay with her forever and never be 100% happy. I've honestly thought about killing myself so I don't have to make this choice.

I'm so sorry that this got so long, but it's been really weighing me down and it feels nice to get it off my chest. Basically what I'm asking is, do you think I'm really gay? What do think my sexuality might be? If you think I'm gay and in denial, how should I learn to accept my sexuality and myself? If you think I'm not gay, what should I do about my girlfriend? I really do love her more than anything in the world and I would rather die than have to hurt her like that. This is tearing me apart, any help or advice you can give me will mean the world to me!!

And if you read all this, thank you so much. You're a trooper :slight_smile:

2. Tetra

I feel bad for saying this, but I need to; only you can know for sure what your orientation is.

That being said, I think the fact that it's causing you so much pain and anguish is something that you need to consider. You truly love this girl, as far as I can tell. I think that maybe since you've been questioning what your true "label" is for so long, and it's changed so many times, you're kind of putting yourself through a never-ending quest.

It almost sounds like you'd enjoy yourself if you shut the meticulous part of your brain off, and just focused on her. Focus on how she makes you feel, and why she makes you feel that way. Just because you were detached doesn't mean you "aren't gay", it might just mean you're overthinking everything that happens in order to prove yourself wrong. Try to relax, you don't need a label anyways!

3. SensesFailX

I've felt the same way sometimes. I often question whether I'm really gay or not, but at the end of the day I know I love my boyfriend, and that no matter what I'm not fully straight, so it doesn't really matter. Are you really not 100% happy with her? You say you love her more than anyone before, so it sounds like things are going pretty well in that regard. If you love her, what does it matter if you're gay or straight? Whatever makes you the happiest is what you should choose, and if having her in your life as a girlfriend makes your life better, then choose that. If you feel you're lying to yourself and finding a guy would make you happier, then choose that. Don't lose a good thing while you have it though. Just do whatever makes you the happiest and choose from the heart. Peace and hope everything works out well (*hug*)

4. earlgrey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thanks for the great advice!!! I feel like I know these things already but hearing someone say them has calmed me down a little?
    I think that my issue isn't based on my sexuality per say, but more on my anxiety. I think if I could get help with that it would be a lot easier to sort things out if I could get that under control. Does anyone have any suggestions for ways to cope/get help? It's affecting not only this but all aspects of my life and I think I'm ready to get some help.
    I do really really love her. We were best friends before we were dating so I sometimes worry it might be platonic love that I'm confusing with romance, but I don't think I would feel this strongly about a friend. Is that possible?

5. Kgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you need to forget the labels and things could become a lot clearer. I have NO idea what my true orientation is, if I even have one, but I love my gf emotionally and sexually. No the sex isn't some mind blowing experience but it's 10x better than any of my previous relationships. And I feel happy when she's happy. So if it ain't broke, don't fix it, as they say :slight_smile:

6. irishluck

Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with this 100%. I have been struggling with finding a label also, as I fell in love with a lesbian co-worker last year completely unexpectedly...had always had crushes on guys before but never had a relationship with one. I am worried that I am actually straight and the last thing I would want is to hurt her. But when I leave those thoughts behind, focus on her and our relationship and forget about labels, I am much happier. I love her with all of my heart, and that's really what matters at the end of the day.

Please know you are not alone in your anxiety about your orientation! Hang in there - it is okay to not know for sure. Try to be forgiving and patient with yourself.

7. scibionerd

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think your anxiety and OCD may be preventing you from getting a clear sense of what/who you want. It can a vicious cycle- getting anxious about what you expect to happen, what society/friends/etc expects, hyper aware of what you feel/think, over analyzing if what you feel/think is related to the person you're with, etc.

I dated a girl before I transitioned who was bi-curious and she felt really conflicted. She knew she liked women, but there was something that kept her doubting or questioning herself. She was even engaged to a man and living with him unbeknownst to me when we started seeing each other. She oscillated back and forth, had really bad anxiety, and we broke up for a few months for her to figure stuff out.

So, stuff like this happens. You may not get an epiphany about what your orientation is, but may need to work through this. Therapy can be helpful for stuff like this.

8. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    This man is on to something (!)

9. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi, earlgrey, do you think you still carry guilt and shame about the same sex relationship?

10. earlgrey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    That's possible I guess. How would I get over that? It was such a long time ago...

11. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh, sorry, my English's poor, I didn't mean that particular thing in the past, I meant in general. I think that self-acceptance takes doesn't happen overnight and it's normal and understandable to feel guilty, upset, shitty or whatever about being gay at some point on one's journey toward self-acceptance. Sometimes it's difficult to accept oneself when we think we won't be accepted by our family. If you don't mind me to ask, why haven't you come out to your family?

12. earlgrey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Oh okay! That does make sense I guess. My family isn't particularly homophobic, but it's always there under the surface. I'm very close with my mother, and she often says things like "his parents must be so ashamed to have a gay son", or "that girl seems too nice and pretty to be a lesbian". She also thinks that bisexuals, or anyone who can love more than one gender, don't exist and are just "whores" who want to "sleep with everything that moves". So that's why I haven't come out to her, I guess :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I have told my brother, and he's supportive and accepting.

But my mom is obviously a big worry for me. Maybe I feel ashamed because I grew up hearing her say all these nasty things? I didn't inherit any of her beliefs obviously, so I'm not sure. I love her so much so it's hard to hear her talking about me like that, even though she doesn't know she's actually talking about me. I'm very feminine and nobody thinks that I'm anything other than straight, so my mom probably doesn't suspect anything. It's going to be quite the shock for her when I do come out :icon_sad:

---------- Post added 19th Jul 2014 at 12:23 PM ----------

Thank you so much for sharing this with me!! It's nice to know I'm not the only one who has experienced these feelings. I think therapy is probably my next step to feeling better about this, thanks for your advice :slight_smile:

#12 earlgrey, Jul 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2014