1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fluidity.

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Nychthemeron, Jul 19, 2014.

?

Do you believe in the fluidity of your sexual orientation?

1. Yes, and I have experienced it personally.

30 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Yes, but I have not experienced it personally.

10 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. No.

3 vote(s)
    6.0%
  4. I'm not sure. / Other.

7 vote(s)
    14.0%
  1. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Fluidity in sexual orientation - do you believe in it? Have you experienced it yourself?

I'm not talking about confusion. I'm talking about when you're completely secure in your sexual orientation, but then you start to change.

I'm adding a poll to get a better visualization.

2. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    No not really .
    The closes I got was when I thought a straight man looked and smelled nice but that's about it wasn't really attracted or anything but I've seen some women who were lesbian all their lives and fell for one guy that's what I think Fluidity is . Or bisexuals that one time were only into guys and the next time only into girls .
    I do believe in it but i don't believe in the everyone is a bit bi , I use to believe in that when i was a teen but I discovered it's not true and bs . Because fluidly is change in your sexual orientation not about being bi sometimes or at the right opportunity like some people say .

#2 stocking, Jul 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  3. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not sure but I read a few times here on the forum about bisexuals and how they can have periods when they prefer one gender to another and how it switches. No one says for how long such a period has to last, if it's in days, weeks, months, years or even decades, right? It's kinda how I see fluidity, I think, so I wouldn't say it's impossible.

4. wanderinggirl

I'm somewhere in between bi and gay, which allowed me enough flexibility to be totally confident that I was straight for a long time, until I wasn't.

So on the outside it would appear that I swung from straight to gay, but it's more accurate to say that my orientation was always the same but my identity was fluid.

5. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I'm not sure. I remember liking men in the past but I think it was just confusion or discovery; I doubt I could fall for one in the future.

6. Gen

Gen

There are a number of polysexuals who experience a sense of fluidity, but fluidity is certainly not a sexual orientation. Fluidity is noun describing the state of something. This is essentially the equivalent of labeling a feminine man's gender as femininity. Femininity is not a gender. Feminine is a description of ones gender or expressive preferences. Fluid is a description of ones sexual or romantic desires.

7. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Can you explain this I'm confused by what you mean:confused:

8. Akane

Depends on A LOT of factors. Nature as well as nurture; this can affect your preferences but sometimes it depends on the individual and what they DO when it comes to experiences that influence preferences (nurture). Nature you cannot control (born this way).

I am "queer" but I haven't dated in more than a year. Looking back I think I was "heterosexual" but I was like 17... nature can change a brain, when you are making new connections and such, which nurture can influence as well but this is not always the case (confusing I know). But I remember I was always attracted to the very "weird" fellows. I still consider my first boyfriend super cute, maybe that is just something almost everyone has, you always love who you fell for I guess?

9. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I *believe* in the fluidity of my orientation, but as time passes, I am beginning to question this. Certain memories and reflections of the past are arising. I can recall feeling an interest in a guy when I was a child. I felt it, but it went no further than just attraction and noticing. Why I did not dwell further on it, I now don't know. I now suspect that I didn't allow myself to dwell on it further. When I became a teen, I did allow myself to dwell on such things further, but only in fantasy, and using those fantasies during self-stimulation, I would feel intense desire and pleasure, but I would then place those experiences in a mental compartment labelled "this is just something you do to get off, a cheap and dirty thing you do that happens to feel really good, but it's not your actual orientation, it's just something you do to get off, that's all". That was how I rationalized my attraction to certain guys as as teen. Now, as I begin to wonder what it would be like not just to have sex with a guy - which I strongly believe I am going to enjoy - but also, what it would be like to have an intimate relationship with a guy, which even during my 'gay phase' during adolescence, I never contemplated - I am beginning to question whether I really have 'gone' from being straight to bi or even maybe gay, who knows? - or whether I always did have this orientation, but simply could not abide it or accept it until relatively recently.

10. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I can't relate to this Iwwould think my attraction to women was a phase, I heard people say sexuality was fluid so I thought I was fluid even though I had no attraction to men but it was the perfect excuse for me.

11. Gen

Gen

Simply put, fluidity describes how an individual's attraction might change over time. Fluidity itself is not a sexual orientation; it is a descriptor of the state of someone's sexual orientation.

12. Acm

Acm Guest

I've never experienced it so the idea kind of confuses me, but I'm willing to take other people's word for it that it's a thing.

13. Budweiser

I'm starting to think more and more I my sexuality might be fluid and I'm not looking forward to finding out if that's the right answer.

14. Rumpletubb

I believe a gay man can fall for a woman and a straight man fall for a man (and all other kinds of genderidentities). I do not believe that it is common or that it happens to many. I'm talking about extremely rare exceptions.
    I don't believe that sexuality is 100% certain.

I don't believe that one can change from straight to gay or vice versa, in a heartbeat, or at all. If you do, you are probably polysexual with strong preferences.

Sexuality is fluid, not sexual orientation. If that makes sense.

I won't vote since I feel that the options are a little bit limited and do not include my view.
    Very interesting reading though!

15. Reptillian

My sexual orientation had changed on it own. I can't seem to feel the same way about women as I used to when I was 15 years old. My sexual orientation seems to had died out since 16 years old. I am 20, and I'm about 21, and yet I feel no need to have sex with women.

16. disneyboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't think it can change but it's just a matter of when you realize it. I spent most of my life sure I was straight. Id kissed girls and it was ok. Then when I kissed a boy and fireworks went off I started to question things

17. maselalala

Oh yea there have been a few exceptions but that's not nearly enough for me to label myself as bisexual. I think there's an exception to my sexual orientation on a rare occasion. But I am happy to label myself as gay.

18. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I'm bisexual, so it happens ALL the time with me. Not sure that was of any help, but I thought I would share.

19. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a feeling a lot of people are misunderstanding me. I don't mean bisexuality with a fluid preference/attraction for a gender, but rather the actual orientation changing.

Like if a man who has been gay for a while (liking only men) and then one day he began to be attracted to women as well, that would be gay to bisexual.

Perhaps a better example, to avoid confusion, would be someone who was gay turning into someone who is asexual.

The question is: is this possible, or do you believe that these people were always bisexual/asexual?

20. Akane

I'm still standing (more or less) on the answer I gave. In other words, yes, I think it can be possible. But I think it has to do on the individual.