1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doubting my queer identity bc of the girls I like

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by wontwalkblindly, Aug 5, 2014.

1. wontwalkblindly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For the most part I like girls that have at least some "butch" aspects about them (particularly short hair). I mean there are some femme girls that I've been attracted to but not very many.
    It's so ridiculous bc I know My thoughts sound just like those straight people that say "that's your girlfriend? She's basically a boy. Why don't you just date the real thing?"
    I think maybe I'm not queer bc I don't normally like the "girly girls."
    In my head I know it's not true but it's just this nagging thought. I hate it.
    I should feel lucky that Im attracted to "queer looking girls" bc i wont fall for as many straight girls (stereotype I know. But still). And I do feel lucky but at the same time, I feel like maybe I'm not actually queer.
    Is it normal to question it AFTER you've accepted yourself?

2. thekillingmoon

There is obviously a difference between a butch girl and a guy. As long as the person you like is female, you like females. Doesn't matter how boyish or girlish they look.

3. sarahpenny02

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
  4. thekillingmoon nailed it.

gender expression (how we dress, act, cut our hair etc) does not equal our gender identity (how we name our internal gender)

so if you're into girls with a masculine gender expression it doesn't mean you're into guys at all.