1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questioning

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Yovella11, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Yovella11

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As cliche as this following story may be, I am working to understand my sexuality.

When I was 15 I went on a vacation with my (very straight) bestfriend and her family. At one point in our trip she held my hand as a friendly gesture, and to my surprise my stomach dropped to my knees. I had never had that happen before with a girl. So the rest of the trip I did a lot of thinking and experimenting trying to figure out what had happened. To my surprise it ended up being more than a one-time problem. Everytime we would hold hands, something we had done many times before, i would get butterflies. I found myself putting my hand out hoping she would take it, being disappointed when she didn't.

I didn't put much more thought into it for awgile. A couple months later I was speaking with another close friend of mine, mentioning that I was less sure about my sexuality than I had been in the past. I told her about what had happened when I was on vacation and it got me thinking about it again. Not long after I realized that i was falling in love with her. When she began dating a guy, I was completely heartbroken despite the fact that I could never see myself with her. I eventually found the courage to tell her and she was very accepting, but as I knew she was as straight as an arrow. This lasted for months. During that time I started dating a guy, which distracted me from my feelings for awhile. I found myself, towards the end of our relationship, only wanting sexual things, I was bored by just hanging out with him, and I have no way to know if it was because we were not a good match or if its because he's male. We ended up breaking up in about 5 months when I realized my feelings were back for my bestfriend.

Fast forward over a year later, my feelings for her are still around, but they are no longer much of an issue. The problem now is that I can't stop thinking about my orientation. I've often been told that I will figure it out in time, but I am the type who loves labels, I like things to be simplified in my mind.
    ave been with men and never anything with women. Anyone who has any similar stories or any thoughts please help me out, I have been thinking about this for quite some time. I am quite fortunate to be in a community where this is widely accepted, I can't imagine how hard it can be for others to figure this out by themselves or in secret. I thank anyone who read all the way through this.

2. Najlen

I completely understand about needing a label. I also understand about the best friend thing, part of what led me to discover my orientation was a sudden and intense desire to kiss my own best friend. To me, you sound bisexual, or maybe bisexual homoromantic, meaning you are romantically attracted to only women but sexually attracted to men and women both. However, this is something only you can figure out. With time, you will know. I advise doing some research about sexual and romantic orientation, and experimenting in your mind to see what feels right. Best of luck to you!