1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pansexual but doubting?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Pluie, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Pluie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I've been through a bit of a rollercoaster when it comes to my sexual/romantic orientation. I thought I was straight until I was about 13, then I started wondering if I was bisexual until I learned about pansexuality. Then I discovered asexuality and thought that fit me, but looking back I think I was just intimidated by the idea of sex. I thought I was a lesbian for a bit before settling back on pansexual now, which I've stuck with for over a year. I like pansexual more than bisexual because it explicitly includes non-binary people (not that bisexuality doesn't include them, but people have varying definitions of bisexuality and it just gets a bit confusing).

The thing is, I'm not attracted to all genders the same way. I am attracted to personality/looks before even considering their gender but when I think about who I want to end up with, it's never someone who identifies as male, and all the people I've fallen for in the past two years have been girls. I can and do find men physically attractive (actors, characters, random guys I see), but I'm not romantically or sexually interested in them in any significant capacity. You'd have to find me a really great guy for me to even consider going on a date with one. Girls on the other hand I get crushes on right and left. I'm currently seeing this brilliant girl I go to school with and I can't really imagine myself dating anyone else right now.

The immediate conclusion is that I'm just transitioning from pan to homo, but that's not true either, because I could quite easily see myself with someone who identifies outside of the gender binary. A blog I asked basically the same question to suggested I look into pansexual-homoromantic, but I don't feel like that fits because if I'm being honest I find penises really icky (not that I've ever encountered one, but I have no desire to), and men aren't my thing, so there's at least half of the people included in pansexual out of the question. And homoromantic suggests that I only date girls, which isn't true either. I've heard of polysexuality but it seems to be a label only NB people use, and I'm a cis girl.

As far as experience goes, if it helps at all, I've never been in a real relationship until now (and we're not officially together), gay or straight, and, if it even needs to be said, I'm a virgin.

Any kind of advice or counsel is appreciated :confused:

2. wanderinggirl

You've probably heard this, but it sounds like you focus on labels too much to define yourself. What if you went a day without labels? How would that feel? Just think of yourself as a person, not as a bisexual person or a pansexual person or a homoromantic person. It might be a relief not to have that pressure on yourself of defining yourself by labels.

3. m0rg4nth0m45

Out Status:
    Some people
    It sounds like you're polysexual. You're attracted to 2 or more genders- In your case it seems to be females and non-binaries.