1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could I possibly be aromantic? Someone define me please?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by debbiecoco, Aug 8, 2014.

1. debbiecoco

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hello :slight_smile:

I’m a female and I would like to say that I have never fallen in love ever in my life or had any crushes before. I do not truly understand falling in love, and it seems to me like almost everybody falls in love, even so easily. I’m incapable of understanding that. What exactly IS love? And how long does it take you to fall in love? I cannot imagine myself in a romantic relationship, it makes me cringe specially if it’s long-term.

I feel sexual attraction to both sexes, so I know for sure I’m bisexual. I’ve got many unwanted crushes from people that I have tried, but eventually didn’t work because I’m incapable of returning their feelings and I’ve hurt many people, am I forever doomed with this? Are people not going to like me? I think couples look cute, but I don’t want to be doing things like that.

Also can someone explain to me what exactly happens when you fall in love? And when you’re in love does it have to do with sexual things or…? I think I’ve scared my ex because I only thought of things sexually while he thought of love, but I’m not sure what it’s like, is it NOT sexual at all?

Ask me anything!
    Thanks

---------- Post added 8th Aug 2014 at 05:41 PM ----------

I’m getting more and more confused, I’ve heard crushes are not necessarily romantic…? Help…

---------- Post added 8th Aug 2014 at 05:48 PM ----------

Hello? ...

2. Entrian

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You sound aromantic to me!

And to answer your second question: When you're in love you definitely do not have to do sexual things. But there's also absolutely nothing wrong with having a purely sexual relationship.

3. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yes that's aromantic , which means it's someone who only enjoys having sexual relationships, with people but can't get or don't get romantic feels for them .
    You sound pretty aromantic to me .

4. indie

indie Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I 100% agree

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sometimes I feel like I'm fighting an uphill battle against the influx of these unrecognized labels for which little to no research or credible evidence of their existence is available.

We can define absolutely anything and stick a label on it and claim that it exists... But that doesn't mean that it actually does, at least, not if the label is going to be of any actual use in helping us to better understand ourselves.

With regard to this specific issue, love is a very complex emotion, condition, or whatever you want to call it. There are specific emotional, psychological and biochemical events that happen when you fall in love, the most well documented of which is the expression of oxytocin, sometimes referred to as 'the love hormone'. It is largely responsible for many of the feelings we experience when wen feel love, or a strong crush.

But there are other factors as well: how much access to our emotions we have, particularly fear and grief, play heavily into our ability to experience love, joy, and the factors that go along with that. The research is clear that we can only love someone as much as we are willing to be hurt (feel grief and fear.) When we numb vulnerability, we also numb the ability to experience love.

And my very strong suspicion (supported to some extent by research on asexuality that unwittingly provides some support for the idea) is that most people who have not experienced strong sensations from a crush or love of another are, in fact, simply numbing vulnerability. They aren't "aromantic", at least, not any more than I am "anappetite" (having no appetite) when I have a bad case of the flu. They simply have something going on, emotionally and/or psychologically, that limits their ability to connect deeply and feel love. And that 'something' certainly isn't hard wired, unchangeable, or core to who they are; it is, at least in most cases, most likely simply a byproduct of numbing vulnerability, which is something we can certainly change.

Completely aside from that, I also know plenty of people who simply never really felt much of anything until they happened to meet The Right Person, and all of the sudden, they felt things they'd never felt before. Thousands of romantic novels, songs, poetry, and other expression have been written that describe such situations. So certainly those people aren't 'aromantic' either.

As such, slapping a label on what you are experiencing and saying "this is who I am" or simply reducing all of that down and saying "oh, you're aromantic" is at best ill advised, and at worst, a gross mischaracterization of what's actually going on.

If any of the above resonates for you, then there are lots of ways you can work on connecting to vulnerability more.

All of the above said: I am pretty confident that there is a tiny portion of the population for whom it is simply not possible, under any circumstances, to feel romantic connection, and would therefore properly be described as 'aromantic'. But those numbers are infinitesimally small, while the numbers of people who fit into the above described categories are much greater. As such, I do not want to devalue anyone who wants to identify with they 'aromantic' label. Hell, you can identify as a lobster for all I care if it serves your needs.

But I do think we need to be really careful when we start throwing around as factual terms and labels for which there is scant or nonexistent evidence, and that, to the extent they exist at all, legitimately describe only a very tiny portion of the population. As the saying goes, when you hear hoof beats, think horses, not zebras.

6. user123456

Out Status:
    Some people
    All my friends would tell I am "heartless" often when I was younger. I didn't understand what they mean though - I fell in love with my gf when I was 16 and we were together until 19, and I thought I loved her. But only during the last year have I really experienced love. I have also realised what friendship really means for me, and my family too. It broke, I think, in the moment when there was a lot of changes going on in my life (high school ended, had problems with my love life because of a health problem and realising I was bi etc.) and during that time I really grew close to my two best friends and told them some of my secrets. I think that really unstrained me finally and let my emotions flow freely. I definitely was suppressing feelings - and I realised that and ended it!

7. jahow95

Chip seems to have the facts on this topic.
    My two cents is that as far as I'm aware romantic feelings are something that develops from basic, animalistic sexual attraction, and that I thought romantic orientation was only something to describe asexuals, because with no sexual attraction, romantic desire is their only level of attraction.
    The fact that you've never had a crush on anyone does not by itself mean that you are incapable of it any more than the fact that I have never been to Germany means that I am incapable of it, and not being able to imagine yourself in a relationship is not really relevant imo. I think Chip hit the nail on the head going into more detail that it was likely something else.

#7 jahow95, Aug 9, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  8. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I agree with chip about this but I was just defining the meaning because they asked but yes he does raise a good point .:slight_smile:
    One thing I have noticed is people are not careful ,with the labels they use and the means of them don't get me wrong some are but not everyone is .

#8 stocking, Aug 9, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2014