1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does it happen to every bisexual?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Nightdream, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Nightdream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I noticed how many bisexual people had some fluidity in their sexuality, as if the changed to gay and straight as the time goes by. Also there are other bisexual folks that seems to have some sort of gender fluidity, as if their masculine/feminine presentation changed depending on the gender the are attracted to.

I'd like to know if these "rules" apply to every bisexual or if there are exceptions, are you one of them or already met someone that was? Why does the second thing happens? Is it because they believe they must be masculine/feminine to like females/males or their expression just changes naturaly?

2. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    no, i do not think that rule applies to everyone, dont know about the other questions though, sorry

3. ThePrideInside4

Well, I'm not so sure. All I can say for sure is that it all depends on the person.

4. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't say it applies to every bisexual, but I definitely do it. But I'm a bit of a tomboy, so I may not be the greatest example. I act more like a girl when I'm with a guy and more like a guy when I'm with a girl. Not sure why, it just kinda happens :/

5. ProFriend

ProFriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not sure I'd describe bisexuality as "fluid." I suspect there are other factors that cause one's interests to shift back and forth, such as recent experience, availability, exposure, etc. Sexual orientation itself, according to every study I've read, seems firm.

6. wanderinggirl

I definitely present fluidly, but that doesn't mean that I'm innately fluid in my sexuality/gender.

7. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First, I don't believe there are any statements that can be said to apply to *all* bisexuals, except for the definition of bisexuality (which, btw, bisexuals can't agree upon :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:).

I definitely have not changed from gay to straight or straight to gay or any of that stuff. I have felt bisexual since I was about 16 (well, ok, definitions again...I became *aware* of those feelings concretely when I was about 16). The vast majority of the intervening time (ages 19 to 47 so far) has been spent monogamously with one woman. But there have been attractions to men that whole time.

Can I call it "fluidity"? I dunno...do you think of your preferences for cake vs. ice cream as fluid? You just want cake more some days, right? I mean, ok, maybe you like them both together sometimes, but recently a waitress at a restaurant brought out a dessert tray with 7 different kinds of cake, and although not one of them looked bad, I ended up leaving without dessert and splitting a pint of Ben and Jerry's ice cream with my partner.

What about trends? Yes, absolutely, I want men more these days than I did 20 years ago (or, semantics again, I feel that need more often and more acutely than I did then). But sheesh, if you hadn't had ice cream for 28 years, then even if you'd regularly had great cake all that time, you might find yourself interested in ice cream more often or more acutely than in your youth, right?

(By the way, I know some people dislike food analogies relating to sexuality...but I don't give a shit...it's how my brain works.)

So I don't know...does that help at all?

8. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like what other people said, I think it just depends on the person. I do know people who switch around feeling more dominant/submissive or more masculine/feminine depending on who they're with. It all just depends. Personally, I kinda act more feminine with a girl than I do with a guy, not sure why. It seems to be the opposite of what most people feel.

And I don't think bisexual is completely fluid, it just switches when it comes to preference. Sometimes we'll lean more towards one gender, and then another day the we're leaning towards another. Personally, I think that's totally normal for bisexuals, as long as they still have some attraction to other genders and no attraction completely disappears.

9. bigirl912

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm not sure if I've swung more towards liking women to be come more "evenly" attracted to cisgender men and cisgender women in the last couple of years, or if I've just become more aware and have always been more evenly divided than I realized.

I echo above - a lot more girly with guys. However, I've always tended to be the more dominant "guardian" of my female friend groups (even since I was in middle school), and I swing a bit more toward the androgynous when I'm with women (though in general, I clearly present as a femme, cisgendered woman).

This is just another data point, I suppose, though I'd find it hard to believe there's any "rule" that applies to any group of people. There are always exceptions.

#9 bigirl912, Aug 18, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  10. Leonardo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It doesn't have to happen. Interesting pattern, though. I myself conform to your rule, being both trans and bi.

11. Ryujin

I'm not sure.
    My attractions seem messed up anyways (that's the way I like em)
    I think I get what you're saying though.
    I think I used to be more attracted to girls.
    And now I'm more attracted to guys.
    Meh

12. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This has never happened to me and because I'm bisexual then the answer to your wuestion is no.

Happy days :slight_smile:

13. NDark

I myself have sort of stuck in the 'leaning towards girls' division of bisexuality, and that hasn't changed. With gender? Eh. Not really. I go for feminine guys and dominant girls, so there's hardly any point in changing who I am based on who I'm going for at the time. I like my plaid shirts and NO GUY IS GOING TO CHANGE THAT.

14. CuriousArticles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    For the record, I really like this analogy :slight_smile: