1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sexual Attraction Synonymous with being "Turned on"?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by TheStormInside, Aug 25, 2014.

1. TheStormInside

As someone who repressed my feelings for a very long time I still find interpreting some of the feelings I have toward others very difficult. I am wondering if when people say they are sexually attracted to someone they basically mean they are physically "turned on" by that person, or if "sexually attracted" is different somehow.

Sometimes if I see an attractive male I feel some "attraction," I find him nice to look at, and I may feel a rather mild "something" in the nether region. With women I may feel a similar but much stronger feeling, or become fully turned on, which doesn't seem to happen with males, and is something that was totally foreign to me until only recently. While the attraction to females is undeniable the feelings I have toward guys is much weaker and harder to interpret, so I find it rather confusing and am not sure what to make of it.

#1 TheStormInside, Aug 25, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  2. wanderinggirl

I think I also tend to fall into this cycle of trying to assess "pantsfeelings" or however you call this feeling of pure sexual attraction. But while some people have very strong physical reactions, but for many (most?) others, the physical sensations are influenced heavily by emotional and psychological factors. I agree that physical sensations alone are hard to interpret.

When I'm "turned on" by a person, I get some physical sensations, but also this intense mental/emotional desire to touch that person and be touched by them, if that makes sense. The physical sensation I get with both men and women, but with women I get a stronger desire to hold them and touch them all over, not just in one place and one way. My imagination gets creative lol... anyways that's how I feel when I feel "sexually attracted" to someone.

3. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think it's not just being turned on alone but it's the person themselves ,that's turning you on and you wanting to get together with that person . Some women I feel stronger attraction than others with some women, it's like I can picture myself having sex with them and I've had sex with them like 10 times in my head just by looking at them , I want to have sex with them . Others i feel both an romantic and sexual attraction , like some of the girls I can see us dating kissing , and yes sex and being together .
    But I think the turned on feeling is that you want to sleep with them and sometimes yes you want to do romantic things with them like kiss them hold them caress them . I had once felt with some women I just wanted to be around them all the time but Yes most of the time I do get a very sexual feeling towards them , if their attractive I like what I see , I can't stop looking at them , I check out their bodies subconsciously . With men it's well nothing happens , sure I can tell he's good looking but I don't want to do anything sexual with him , I don't really feel the need to be close to him or want him in my space he's just another random person .

4. If I see a guy I like I will automatically check him out - mostly his arms, I have a thing for that. If I like what I see and his personality is appealing then I could fantasize about have sex with him/relationship, etc. I have no idea what I'm feeling "down there" - all I know is that I want this person as close as possible to me.

I'm not sure if seeing a guy on his own turns me on. For example if I see my husband with his shirt off, my 1st thought is to touch him/tell him how great he looks. Then when I touch him, I get turned on, then I think about having sex with him and am more turned on. It's more like an animalistic kind of feeling...I guess this is lust.

Then there's that love kind of sex where I just want to be close to my husband. I'm not after the physical pleasure during this. It's more of him being as close to be as possible and his whole body is really important here, especially his penis. This is actually the sex I used to have as a teen until I learned how to physically enjoy it.

5. thekillingmoon

I would say someone you find physically attractive, but not just aesthetically. Like you wouldn't turn them down if they wanted to make out.

6. Purplefrog

Purplefrog Guest

When I started to allow myself to fully feel my sexual attraction towards women last year, I was completely blown away by the intensity of feelings I hadn't really experienced before. I can only describe it as 'I have to be physically very close to you right now, and I need our naked bodies pressed firmly against each other'. And yes, when I have felt like that, I have physiologically speaking, been very turned on.

But- why I am sexually attracted to someone is multifaceted - pure carnal physical attraction, i.e. do they have a nice face, smile, body etc, and is there an interpersonal chemistry, i.e. is there something about them I'm "bouncing off" or sharing vibes with? So for me, do I feel there is an intensity between us?

So for example I get very turned on by my girlfriend as I find her very sexually attractive due to the two reasons above. Plus, I think another element is starting to come in now - we haven't been plain sailing at times, but due to working through issues our relationship is becoming more solid. Because I feel more secure in the relationship, I feel sexually I can be more vulnerable, which is allowing me to feel more attracted to her.

7. freeapril

HAHA "pantsfeelings!" wanderinggirl you just made my day. :slight_smile:
    Sorry, StormInside, I don't actually have anything useful to say, I am too shy and also still very confused about this myself....

8. I will check out a girl and I will walk right past a guy. I can appreciate a good looking man but, I don't want to jump into bed with them the way I would with a woman.

9. TheStormInside

Wanderinggirl-
    As usual, you've made me :lol:. "Pantsfeelings" is a great word for this :lol:.

I guess maybe I'm still missing out on something, or it just doesn't happen so often for me. I rarely if ever have had this desire to touch someone all over. I guess I do get the draw to want to be closer to a person (physically) though, so maybe it's in the same vein. With guys I find cute I might get that little "pantsfeeling," at most I have felt like I wanted to be closer to a guy, possibly kiss him, but nothing beyond that. With women it's like this overwhelming heat and it can take over my entire body. I feel like when I do feel that I finally "get" what other people are talking about. Before recently I'd see people throw themselves passionately at each other on TV and such, and I just never got it. Especially in the case where they knew they were wrong for each other, but just "couldn't resist," in my mind it was like "What are they resisting...?" Now, I am asking myself "How the heck do people function, feeling like this?!"

stocking-
    Thanks for explaining. So for you how is sexual attraction different from being turned on? Like how does the feeling vary?

Most guys, I feel "nothing" like you said, but sometimes I come across one I find just adorable. I think they're cute and attractive and I want to get to know them. But if I try to think about getting physical with them... yeah, not something I tend to want. It's almost like when two equally charged magnets repel each other. I kind of want to get close to them, but if I get too close, boink, repelled! With a woman it's a more direct magnetism, a draw that I have to say "ok brain, stop looking at her now, it's been 10 full seconds and it's going to start getting creepy real soon."

browneyedgirl-
    Interesting, it helps to have a perspective of someone who is definitely sexually attracted to men. I guess for me it may sort of be the opposite of what you're saying, you seem to get attracted through physical contact. For me, with guys, it feels very much like "Look, but don't touch." I can enjoy looking at a man, but the idea of actually touching or being touched... eh.. it puts me off and feels invasive.

thekillingmoon-
    Thanks! That makes sense.

Purplefrog-
    I know what you mean about the intensity of the feelings. As I said above, not having had these feelings in the past I just don't understand how people can function. It's so completely overwhelming. I guess over time people get used to hiding it if they have to, and maybe now I'm understanding why "sexual frustration" and needing an "outlet" are things.

Unfortunately I've not been in the position where I was totally emotionally and sexually attracted to a person that returned the feelings, and we could act on them. I was emotionally attracted to my ex bf but not sexually, so with him while I liked spending time with him and wanted to be with him I never really felt that pull to be physical.

freeapril-
    That's ok! It does help to know others are going through the same thing.

CallMeChristian-
    That makes sense, thanks. Do you feel any kind of attraction to men? Or is it basically like walking past a nice piece of furniture or something if you see an objectively attractive male?

10. ClimbHikeBike

TheStormInside, I know how you feel and I'm trying to work through this too. I also repressed my feelings for a very long time, so this whole sexual attraction thing is new to me as well. Sometimes a good-looking man really turns me on and I get the "you, me, bed, now" sort of feeling, but usually it's less physical and I just want to be really close to them. I know that I would enjoy kissing and having sex, but that's not necessarily the immediate draw.

I can definitely recognize attractive women, but it's harder for me to tell what I'm feeling. I don't really get physically turned on by women, but what I feel when I see an attractive women is sometimes close enough to the more subtle attraction to men that I described that I'm not sure how to classify it. However, I think you put it well when you said that being physical with a man feels "invasive" to you -- for me, being sexual with a woman feels invasive; it seems inappropriate, and when I think about sex with a woman there isn't much of an emotional connection. What really turns me on is the idea of passionate, gentle, emotional, loving sex with someone I have very strong feelings for. I don't think I can have that with a woman.

So for me, who I get crushes on seems to be the deciding factor. Maybe that could help you sort out your feelings for men? I don't think I experience sexual attraction as strongly as some others do (at least not before I get to know someone), but the only genuine crushes I've had were on guys.

11. wanderinggirl

There is a difference between having a physical reaction and wanting to actually follow through on it and get physically close with a person. Also I think our society socializes us to think that it's abnormal to have this feeling rarely/infrequently; we should be walking around with a voracious sexual appetite like a starving polar bear ready to pounce on the first seals we see, and if we don't, then it's probably because of trauma or something. But life isn't all about sex, and it's totally fine if you don't feel this way about every other person you come across. And it manifests differently for different people.

When you have a crush on someone what does it feel like?

12. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    @The strominsde I don't really think it's different at all, I just think it's more to it than just being turned on. For me I see sexual attraction as who you desire to sleep with as well as who you would like to be with but it doesn't always go hand in hand.
    For me It really depends on how attracted I am to the woman and I have not thought about sex with every woman I met, sometimes just making out , and I think of dating her and the sex as well.

#12 stocking, Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  13. TheStormInside

What I've bolded is pretty much exactly how I feel about men. I do think I get emotional connections with a few men here and there, or at least I have had with *one* man. Still the idea of sex with them was just.. not something I desired.

I've had crushes on both men and women... I do think a couple of guy crushes I had were sort of fabricated rather than genuine, however I think at least one was genuine.

Good points. I do think that (repression aside) I have a lower sex drive than most, so if I am correct there it just makes sense that I'd have less frequent intense attractions. And you're right, I think for me the divide may be physical reactions are there (somewhat) but desire to follow through is not, when it comes to men.

I think that one of the problems I'm having is that I don't seem to fit neatly into one particular label, and I want very much to just be able to fit neatly into one particular label, say "this is what I am" and that be the end of it. I keep having anxiety about misinterpreting my feelings or coming out as the "wrong" thing. I am trying to remind myself though that labels can change, and that sometimes labels just don't quite fit everyone, and that every label may contain people with a variety of experiences, like myself, who aren't necessarily as explicitly defined by them as others.

What do crushes feel like?
    Well for girls, I find myself thinking about them a lot. I want them to be around when they aren't, and want to share things with them, talk to them about things I'm excited about, and hear about what is going on in their lives. I want to be close to them, physically speaking. I enjoy things about their bodies, like their scent, or the feel of their skin, or the way their hair falls on their neck. I want to be there for them, a person they can lean on if they need help or advice, and I want to impress them sometimes, too. If I'm really crushing hard I may find myself doodling, or writing about them :icon_redf .

With guys... well, I know only one for sure felt genuine, though as I was writing the above I can see a rather stark contrast between my feelings for my ex bf and my feelings for the women I have crushed on. With my ex I too wanted to be there for him, I wanted to be that person he could count on. I wanted to hang out with him and chat with him about whatever cartoons or movies we were both currently into. I wanted to go out with him and do "coupley" things. I wanted to be "that person" for him, the "one." I wanted to be "with" him in the sense that I wanted to be together in a relationship, maybe eventually get married, I'd think about what our kids might look like if we had kids in the future. But I didn't want to be "with" him in the sexual sense, or even in the "sensual" sense, despite all of that. For the couple of other guys I may or may not have crushed on, I basically had the "I want to date you because we have common interests and compatible personalities" without the intense emotional connection I had with my ex or with the girls I've had crushes on, which is why I suspect they may not have been totally genuine, or perhaps were just less deep.

Ah, I see. So like "turned on" is the physical response, then sexual attraction is like the draw that you have to the person, both physical and emotional?

#13 TheStormInside, Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  14. wanderinggirl

I see what you're saying. I don't necessarily think you have a lower than average sex drive if this is your experience; I think society over-represents sex drive, thus making interactions that aren't sex-driven appear less normal than they are. In fact they are totally normal. Ignore the pressure to see sex as like the main driver behind all interpersonal/romantic relationships. It's very important, obviously, but it's not the end-all be-all of the human experience.

I also definitely have those days where I doubt my feelings are genuine or that I'm interpreting them correctly; it's a lot of pressure to put on ourselves, and I don't think (at least for me) it's been necessarily helpful or productive to think this way and to force a label, because there are diverse experiences that fall under a particular label.

I also know what you mean about crushes on guys being based around having shared interests etc, whereas with women it's just an instinctual wanting to be close regardless of compatibility.

Maybe the gold-star-lesbianism label isn't for you; maybe you're not 100% gay, but from what you've said here and in the past, I'd label you as "pretty darn homorific". Do you think that fits?

15. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well I don't form emotional bonds because most of the women I liked , I did not know them personally , at the time I felt physical attraction to them , I knew nothing about them. So I don't get how you can get emotional feelings for a person your looking at from a distance , you don't even know them and haven't said a word to yet . For me it's just purely physical attraction and it can be wanting to touch them caress them, kiss, and sometimes have sex with them. It's emotional when you start liking them for who they are and caring about them after getting to know them on a personal level. Seems like a lot of people don't know the difference between physical attraction and emotional attraction.

16. TheStormInside

Haha, perhaps that is what I should start calling myself. "Pretty darn homorific."

I don't know why I keep tormenting myself with this. I read over the things I've written and I think and rethink and I know if I answer myself honestly I just don't want to be with a guy. At least, not the way I want to be with a girl. I think I'm having trouble letting go of that possibility of the "normal" (straight) life. Perhaps I'm just grasping at straws. Dissecting each feeling until there's nothing left to scrutinize. I also feel like in terms of lesbianism I'm worried I wouldn't "measure up" to those who never, ever have any feelings towards men at all. But bisexuality seems even less appropriate, as I feel it would carry with it the expectation that I would date men, too (and would likely have a lot of pressure put on me from family to do so). But as you say, there are diverse experiences that fall under every label. So hopefully those I encounter won't be so judgmental as to dismiss me as gay if I have the odd nonsexual boy crush now and again. Straight guys can have man crushes, after all :lol:.

I think maybe I just misinterpreted your meaning in your previous post. I don't get emotionally attached to people I don't know, either. All of the people I've had crushes on were either close friends or acquaintances.

17. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I haven't had crushes on women I was not close to and did not know personally and only very few women I had emotional attachment to . But the reason for this i'm not able to make friends with other women very easily , I have much more male friends than females it's only since resent I've been making female friends .

18. wanderinggirl

Storm, looks like you're putting pressure on yourself to fit a label. It's not that there aren't expectations under every label (if you're bi you are open to dating guys and in theory this would you up to your family wanting you to try dating men) but ultimately what matters more is how you feel inside. After your behaviors and instincts form certain patterns and you become aware of those patterns, only then can you find a label that suits you. Otherwise, finding a label isn't very helpful.

I think it's really hard to let go of the straight "normal" life, no matter what. And it's hard to think of trying to "measure up" to a label. Stop putting pressure and expectations on yourself; you'll be just faahhhhnnn. :slight_smile:

Oh do they ever! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

19. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    sorry typo I've had crushes on women I was not close to and did not know personally
    just had to correct this .

20. TheStormInside

I think you're right, and what you're saying makes a lot of sense. I just don't really know how to operate without some word of communication at the moment and it seems to be a point of anxiety and obsession. I feel like I want to come out to more people in the very near future, and I don't really know how to communicate without some kind of label. Just spitting out a word or two is going to be hard enough for me. My therapist suggested I come out as questioning but I don't think I can manage to do that, as that will require a lot more talk and explanation. I'm not really sure how to move forward without some kind of label, or how to move on from this fixation. I tried telling myself I was "label free" or even "storm-sexual" for awhile, but that lasted less than a day before I started obsessing again :icon_redf . That's why I chose "gay" for now, because it seemed closest to my feelings regarding who I want to be with in the future. I seem to feel most at ease when I just tell myself I'm gay, because then I can be settled with that and work on accepting who I am rather than agonizing over whether it's correct or not. But then still I have moments or days like today where I am filled with doubt all over again. I don't know if that made a whole lot of sense or not, but I guess, if you have any ideas on how to get past this I am certainly open to hearing them.