1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another sexuality rant

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by questioning25, Aug 31, 2014.

1. questioning25

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Well, here's a post by another person wishing for others to advise them on their sexuality. I'll do the soul pouring out thing, you guys can maybe do a bit of advising? I often find myself asking the "Am I gay? Am I bisexual? Straight, maybe?" question. Anyway, this might be a long post, apologies?

Let me just describe the past month (a life history might be rather tedious). Masturbation wise (I'm a rather "proper person", so I'll apologize, again and just this once, for "icky! words". Moving on...), my last three were to a guy I used to know but recently hung out with at a party. Nothing happened: he has rather horrible alcohol tolerance, so spent most of the night passed out. However there was a moment when we were both half unconscious on a sofa, when I thought, yes, he seems attracted to me, and I to him.

Although these three masturbations weren't completly to him, as is often the case. I try to think about him, but it's not enough, at which point thinking of that girl at the party who I was also attracted too helps. But then that's not enough either, so I go to lesbians (which for me is a classic go-to, and has constituted more than half of what I usually think about. Why lesbians? I'm not sure). I then think back to him, and... job done. All three are similar, although third time around, my thoughts wandered to my ex girlfriend, and I finished not to me being with this man, but to him being with a woman.

So, all that's confusing. And that's often how things are. Last month, I was attracted to three seperate woman (don't know why so many... warm summer weather?). Which means two things: a) I think about them while I get off (again, in a wandering fashion), and b) I "fall in love" with them, which means going to sleep and waking up in a daze with only us on my mind. But, at the same time, I also felt attracted to men (although no one in particular, party excluded), and feel it's high time I start trying to be with a man, at least to flesh out my sexuality a bit more.

I'll end with this: lots of this is to due to fear. While accepting my sexuality to the extent that I don't repress anything (on purpose), I come from a conservative family. I fear that if I brought a man home, then they'd view me as the flawed, looser of a person I've always suspected that they see. Explaining that I'm likely "somewhere in between" on the sexuality spectrum wouldn't help. Another worry: I fear that being with, say, this man at the party, would invalidate feelings I've had to woman in the past. I do understand that these fears aren't rational, but that's not changed my avoidance behaviors.

Well, that's the lot... for those who stuck through it, my thanks (no need to reply if you did, I'd happily just have this here as a "getting things off my chest" moment).

#1 questioning25, Aug 31, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  2. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My honest opinion is that it's not up to me to decide which label suits you, as you should pick on for yourself (or pick none at all - some feel that labels don't suit at all).

But as I'm trying to help, I'll ask you some questions first.

1. Do you think you can have a (temporary) relationship with a guy, if your family didn't matter? Meaning, do you think you could kiss him, live happy & healthy life with him?
    2. The same question as 1, but subsitute girl for boy.
    3. Why do you worry that, having a relationship with a man, would invalidate your past relationships?

Some insights I wanted to share with you:

* Some people have had great relationships with girls in the past, some even got married. But later in life, they realised that something "missed". Some got relationships with guys, and realised that they were not straight eventually. Some realised they were gay, some realised they were bisexual.
    * It's not just being straight - bisexual - gay. Have heard of the Kinsey scale? Sexuality can be very complicated. Some are bisexual, but have a preference for women, some are gay but are incidentally attracted to someone of the opposite sex.

Look forward to reading a reply! Cheers! (*hug*)

3. questioning25

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Quem;

Thanks very much for the reply. Yes, I've heard of the Kinsey scale. And yep, I'm aware that I shouldn't rush to find a label, that sexuality is likely rather complicated (not that there's anything wrong with labels). I suppose a part of me feels the need to nail things down, and as a result the endless worry of "labeling" gnaws at me. I'm aware, luckily enough, that I shouldn't look at things this way (even though I still often do). To your questions:

1) Yes, probably.
    2) Probably, yes.
    3) Not so much past relationships (I've had one serious relationship, but we were both rather open with each other) but past feelings (warning: this might be a long response). I have (and do) put alot of stock into "love", which to me means, as above, going to sleep and waking up in a daze, with just the other person in mind. While I do have these experiences now, I had alot more of them in middle/high school, and they always felt like the pinnacle of what I could feel. There were weeks when I'd rush through the entire day, just for that hour or two in bed with my fantasies.

But I've never had one of these fantasies with a man. I don't know if it's because I'm repressing that possibility. And I sometimes fear that being with a man, I'd somehow realize that "Well, all that back when was a bunch of fluff".

#3 questioning25, Aug 31, 2014
  4. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I understand that you want to find a label, as I've been in that situation too. I thought I was gay, bisexual, straight, asexual, I honestly didn't know it at all. But I figured out eventually. :slight_smile:

I understand the fantasies too. See, I'm someone who analyses too much about those things. I had fantasies too, and I tried to find every hidden meaning. But it didn't work for me - it would only get me more confused. So I let go of it.

I thought, some time back, that I didn't have those fantasies with men. But boy I was wrong. Eventually, I figured out there were fantasies, but I simply didn't recognise them. Being honest to myself, I found out that labeling myself bisexual was the best option.

You fear that you'll think: "Well, all that back when was a bunch of fluff". But does it really matter? Be honest to yourself. If you find yourself deeply in love with a man, does it really matter if it's more intense than ever before? Why wouldn't you embrace those thoughts, rather than fear them? (*hug*)

Cheers!

5. questioning25

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Ostensibly, the problem I have is simply a lack of "data" (not to make me sound like an inhuman robot, but taken as a metaphor). I need to go "out there" and experience these things first hand, to put all this into perspective, and then take it from there. Thinking and contemplation only gets me so far. I *am* open to any possibility, so that's good.

I do know some of the above are paranoid thoughts, even when I'm drunk. When I was on that couch, half passed out, the part of me that was still functioning realized both a) I'd be happy being with this person, and b) all these things I've felt in the past are *not* just fluff, and that it's not a contradiction to both love someone of the same sex, and of the opposite sex.

But do I think this sane-lly most times? No, usually I worry. Well... point is to make progress and worry less. Anyway, thanks again.

#5 questioning25, Aug 31, 2014
  6. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haha, I get the metaphor. As you say yourself, experimenting is a good idea to find out what you really want.

It's a good thing you're open about it. :icon_bigg The next step is to stop worrying (or to worry much less). Whether or not the past experience will turn out to be fluff, is not up to me to decide. You think it doesn't, but it doesn't really matter if it does, does it? (*hug*)

Cheers and good luck!

7. questioning25

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I guess yes, I should accept the possibility of "fluff" (it's a bit weird typing that word over and over...). And after all, the point is not to wax nostalgic about something back when. If I go have a relationship with that person, and be happy, why should I endlessly worry?

But then the other part of me pipes up and says, "I hear you accepting the possibility of them being fluff... but they're not fluff. You remember how you were with so-and-so, you lit up while talking to her, you dreampt of her all night. That ain't fluff".

Sorry, I can write a novel about this, and I can complain endlessly. Possibly I should stop: I do know what I have to do next. Will I do it? Well, baby steps...

8. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No problem! It's something that's on your mind. When I was finding the right label for myself, it felt so good to talk about it. I had never done that before. If you feel the urge to reply, just reply. Don't stop because you think you "complain". And honestly, I don't think you're complaining. You're just trying to figure this out. :icon_bigg

Personally, I don't like history and such.. And things that happened, happened. I can't change it anymore.

You say "that ain't fluff" (and yeah we keep repeating that word). You are very open and realistic now, but were you open back then? Did you except the possibility that you might not be straight?

9. questioning25

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Yep, thanks for the support, it's good having a place to say things like this. Well, history...

(Although it's not just back then, the "I lite up, dream of her" example was a few weeks ago. Generally though, yes, I do agree that that's not relevent: accepting the possibility of it all being fluff *has* to be on the table.)

Some history: there was never a time when I didn't experience "both parts of my sexuality", if you will, except maybe at the very begining. I started thinking of woman around 3rd ish grade, then to lesbians, and then, cartoon of lesbians! (this was, after all, 3rd grade. I'd like to take this opportunity to apologize for my objectification of lesbians). The first time I realized I might have some attraction to men was around that time: one of the cartoon lesbians grew a penis; I liked the addition.

In middle/high school, these attractions were basically non-overlapping. I'd have a day in which I'd feel things for men, and be really worried, followed by a day when I'd feel things for woman, and be really happy. Because my fantasies were so powerful (along with sexual attraction: I had much more of a breast fetish then than I do now), I was able to live with the occasional dread of attraction to men (which, at that time, was not directed to a particular classmate, as far as I'm aware).

Idk, I still define a big chunk of myself by what I did, and felt, in middle school. That includes my ideas in physics (the profession I'm currently a student in), my sense of self (via "adventure fantasies" I liked to make up), and what I fall in love with. I do understand that I shouldn't therefore let that run my entire life...

10. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's perfectly fine if you feel that way. :icon_bigg

I think you are likely bisexual. I'm not saying you're a Kinsey 3, but my guess is that you are somewhere from Kinsey 2 to Kinsey 4.

As you might know, many surpress homosexual feelings as it's not what society demands. The typical idea "I like boobs very much", is not convincing at all as you can imagine. They dismiss homosexual feelings and think they are bisexual/straight, while in fact, they are not. You are very open about it and I'm quite sure this doesn't apply to you, or at least not completely. That's why I conclude you are bisexual. Saying you are straight or gay would invalidate you as a person.

Cheers. (*hug*)