1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you be gay if you've had crushes on girls before?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by tommycee, Sep 2, 2014.

1. tommycee

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For a while, I've considered myself bi. But lately, I've been questioning that. I know I like guys. I like them more than girls. Like, way, way more. Ive had crushes on girls before though. But that was like 3 or 4 years ago, before I even knew about sex. So its safe to say those were romantic crushes, not sexual. I haven't really been interested in a girl since. Does that make me gay or do you think I'm bi?

2. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I've had crushes on guys before when I didn't know, so yup it can happen! I think heteronormative society makes us think that way.

3. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It really depends on what type of crushes really you would really have to take time , to try to figure it out . Not saying you can't by the way I'm just saying you'll have to look deep into them were they platonic or were they like actual crushes and attraction , is what you need to ask yourself .
    Another thing is think about like how do you feel right now any attraction to girls yes no stuff like that .

#3 stocking, Sep 2, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  4. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Before I started questioning my sexuality all my crushes were on girls before I realized I may be into guys. I think before than I never thought about it sexually it was more about that woman looks pretty I must be attracted to her. Than I looked more into it by comparing men to women and realized I prefered men sexually and romantically over women and came to accept myself as gay. The more I realized my attraction to men the more I realized I was not attracted to women and that might be the case with you. You could have more of a preference for men over women and still be bisexual too though. What attracts to you to men and what attracted to women if you don't mind me asking.

5. Dakeli27

Well, your sexual orientation can change, and what "kind" of crush you have matters, but if you're attracted to some girls, you might just be high up on the Kinsey scale.

6. tommycee

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Idk, it just feels more natural to me to be attracted to guys. They're just so hot. I guess the attraction to girls is mostly because of society, I guess.

7. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's possible to be biromantic and homosexual. It just means you're romantically attracted to men and women, but only sexually attracted to men. Might want to search more on that if you think it fits you.

8. shinji

shinji Guest

This whole thing with the "labels" is unnecessarily confusing and realistically, why should you care how you label yourself? Just allow yourself to fall in love with whoever you fall in love with, who cares if you also like girls (and to what extent).

Labels in my opinion are just a way for us to describe/categorize ourself for the benefit of heterosexuals... Screw that. Love is not that simple!

9. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wonder if I'm alone in this, but, when I first began coming to terms with my bisexuality a few months back, I felt sexual / romantic towards girls but only sexual towards guys, but now it's turned the other way around: I can still get sexually aroused by seeing / interacting with women (sometimes), but I keep wishing to have closeness with some special guy - I mean, friendship that deepens into sexual intimacy - in other words, romantic love. It feels nice but sometimes I feel strange about it...

#9 Damien, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  10. black-cat

You could be gay or bi.

Many people "like us" try to fit in and date the opposite gender, simply because it is the norm. I think it would be more relevant for you to work out if you are attracted to girls *now*, rather than what you did when you were younger. ^~^

11. jahow95

I think the general consensus is that as a rule gay people do not have real straight crushes. I've heard a lot of people think they have had crushes on the opposite sex only to later realise they were platonic.
    If you genuinely have felt physically attracted to the opposite sex at some point then I wouldn't think you were gay, but as you said your crushes were not sexual, I would think you are gay.

#11 jahow95, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  12. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just to play devil's advocate, not just for my own sake but for any other confused Bi: one of the 'inner arguments' I have with myself, is that 'the reason you have not fallen in love properly with a woman yet, is that 1. you simply never met the right one yet, and / or 2. you have not been trying hard enough (to meet women, date them etc). This is one of my many doubts that make me question my attraction to guys. Sometimes I get this argument that says, 'since you can be attracted to either gender, why are you not seeking a women to be with? Wouldn't that be easier and simpler?' I think it would be simpler being either straight or gay, rather than bi, and to not have this conflict.

13. Rainbow Girl

I'm a gay women and I had crushes on before I knew I was gay, so yes.

14. Blossom85

I think just because you may have had crushes on the opposite sex before doesn't mean you are what you feel now.. A lot of people aren't aware of their true sexual orientation for a while so a crush on the opposite sex would be completely natural but it doesn't mean you can't now be attracted to the same sex.. It could be you are bi if you feel a romantic attachment to women and romantic and or sexual attachment to men.. Just go what with feels right and feels comfortable for you.

15. Bane

Winnipeg, Canada (aka temporary paradise)
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've had those before, not anymore now but they are perfectly fine. It's pretty much up to you to pursue these feelings.

16. Jguy365

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know what you mean. I have had a couple of crushes on girls but never on guys. Here's the thing, though: When I had those couple of crushes, it was when I was in serious denial about my sexuality. I did like those girls, but I wouldn't say that it was even romantic...it was just me saying that I would have to date girl eventually and I get along with this one pretty well, so I should have a crush on her. I was never actually interested in a relationship with a girl. Now, as I become more and more comfortable with being gay, I see myself more with a man and less with a woman.

17. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think some gay people get crushes on the opposite sex because of the brainwashing of heteronormantive society .

18. FreeFlow9917

Dude, i know what your going through. I used to have deep attraction to video game characters such as Crash Bandicoot and Sly Cooper and my best friend who moved. I just say bisexual to fool others.

If anything try to weigh your feelings, see which ones you find more attractive by determining which sex is more sexier to you.

19. Ned B

I used to think I had crushes for women, but that was long before I came to terms with being gay. Looking back, I think I've realized that they were more longing for close friendship, and that there were never any sexual feelings involved. It was never about a physical attraction. You might find that your crushes were the same way.

I've admittedly never been sure of some things, because so much time has passed, but I eventually decided that it really didn't matter how I felt then, just what I want and feel now. Ask yourself if you could see you having sex, a relationship, or even being attracted to a woman. If the answers are all no, you could pretty safely call yourself gay.

20. Cerith23

A fancy label that would fit you would be a biromantic homosexual (romantically attracted to both men and women, and only sexually attracted to people of you're own gender). If you are attracted to more than one gender in anyway romantic and/or sexual (the current popular definition) then your main label wold be bi. Biromantic homosexual is just breaking it down.

However, labels can be confusing. Even if you choose to label yourself your romantic and sexual orientations can still change over time due to sexual fluidity. Maybe your attraction to girls has waned over time as you are sexually fluid. A lot of big words, I know, and it could all just be crap, but remember that you don't need to label yourself: you can just exist.