1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Difference between bi and pansexual?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Vaettfang, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Vaettfang

I know I'm one of the two, but I'm unsure which. They're so similar. Can someone explain to me?

2. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From my understanding Bi meaning attracted to members of the same and opposite sex and Pan mean attracted to someone regardless of their sex or gender.

3. CornerSign

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    some people don't even bother making the distinction. it really depends on who you ask. but for the most part, phoenix up there stated the most common understanding of it. from what i've heard.

4. Vaettfang

Alright, thanks. I think I understand which one I am now.

5. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sex is not binary (male/female), but a spectrum. If you're bisexual, you're attracted to the endpoints...if you're pansexual, you're attracted to anybody on the spectrum.

6. KayJay

This is how I would describe it.

Though we had a similar thread not too long ago on it I think, which if I recall right it got a bit heated.

7. Ned B

That's a great way to put it. I've always struggled with the distinction a bit.

8. Tigermilk

Well... erm... I dunno, I look at myself, and I am a straight boy gay girl gay boy straight girl. I most identify as straight boy and straight girl.

It would kill me to figure it out. :/

9. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I honestly don't get the difference :confused: I think anyone of any orientation could like someone that's transexual . But hey you want me to believe there is a pansexual thing i'll believe it .:dry: Maybe someone can enlighten me . Because I really don't get how these two are different .

10. Ryujin

Someone who is pansexual is attracted to people of genders/sexes other to male/female as well as male/female people

11. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    can you explain to me what other genders and sexes besides male and female and transsexual people please go into further detail so I can understand because I'm still confused :confused:

12. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I don't get the difference either. Supposedly, bisexuals like men and women, and pansexuals like men, women, and non-binary genders. But the thing is that there are plenty of bisexuals who like non-binary genders. And monosexuals who like trans people and non-binaries as well.

13. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yeah that's the part that confuses me before I use to think it's different but then I've heard of monosexuals being attracted to trans people as well as bisexuals . So far I've seen anyone of any sexual orienation can be attracted to trans people .

#13 stocking, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  14. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am pansexual? Likely, but I like the term bisexual a lot more. I identify as bisexual, partially because it's a lot easier to explain. But moreover, I never met anyone who truly confirmed that I might be pansexual. I think pansexual (unfortunately) confuses people, so I don't really want to use it (right now).

15. Ryujin

Bisexual can be used as both an umbrella term and for someone who is only attracted to men and women. Pansexual and others fall under the bisexual label but aren't bisexual bisexual. It's confusing I know, but there's little way to describe it.

Often pansexuals will go by bisexual because pansexual confuses people who don't understand how gender isn't binary.

16. Dakeli27

Bisexuals are not in fact restricted to only male and female, it just means they're attracted to more than one gender. Some bisexuals are very touchy about that.

Stocking, gender isn't quite like it's portrayed, girl-boy binary. There's more of a spectrum, with androgynes, agender or bigender, gender fluid, intersex etc. you don't really need to know all of them, basically pansexuals would just never NOT be attracted to someone because of their gender.

17. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Can you please explain the none binary genders. I always thought bisexuals were more than just male and female. I understand androgynous but not the others

#17 stocking, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  18. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Also, intersex isn't a gender. Otherwise I agree on non-binary genders. I feel a bit genderqueer myself.

19. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This makes a lot of sense. I say that I am bisexual, but technically I am more pansexual than bi, but pan is not really known outside the GSM community.

20. FortunateSally

I always got the sense that bisexual was someone who's attracted to both sexes but that pan further clarifies it to people that they, as technically a bisexual also are sexually attracted to trans and genderqueer folk. Some bisexual people are not interested in genderqueer or trans people.