1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay people make me feel less gay??

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by ilovesg, Sep 9, 2014.

1. ilovesg

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I dont know why but whenever i find out someone i know is gay it makes me doubt myself. I wonder if I am actually gay or Im just hopping on the bandwagon or trying to be different or something. It just seems like there are a lot of gay people all of a sudden and I worry Im lying to myself. The thing is I know im a lesbian but I doubt myself anyways. How do I stop doing this?

2. wanderinggirl

Do you know why you feel this way?

Just because you meet a fellow gay, doesn't mean that's all there is to the other person; if you have nothing else in common with them that's okay. Just try to move the interaction beyond you both being gay. And just because you're both gay doesn't mean you have to be attracted to them. Everyone has a type, not every straight girl is attracted to every straight guy, and not every gay girl is attracted to every gay girl. Relax and just enjoy hanging out with a fellow human being. :slight_smile:

3. Really

I think you maybe still feel a little "outside" of things? I'm not sure how to advise but it will probably diminish as your comfort level being yourself rises. Are you comparing yourself to them somehow? Subconsciously, maybe? Try not to. You're a "you" kind of lesbian. Does that make sense? Not like anyone else.

4. wanderinggirl

This. ^^^
    I know I felt like an impostor when I first came out, because I knew nothing about "how to be gay" until I met more queer people. It's not necessary to get involved in a ton of queer things that don't mean anything to you, but developing a sense of community is definitely important.