1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did I label myself gay too soon?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by RahRahLM, Sep 12, 2014.

1. RahRahLM

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know label probably isn't the right word and we kinda get into the thing of "well I need to label myself now so I can go find that perfect someone" yada yada yada.

Anyhoo... a little background

I came out as gay about two/three year ago. Before that I assumed I was gay, I was attracted to men and could see myself in a relationship with a man. But there was always something niggling at me and I just passed it off as maybe it was just my mind trying to play tricks on me. So I plucked up the courage to come out to very supportive parents and that was that really. From then on I just assumed I was gay and that now I was out life would get a little easier for me.

However recently, past month or so, I've started to get feelings for girls. I can actually see myself having a girlfriend. The thought of sex isn't off putting and now I'm kinda thinking "What if I'm bi?". I've read things were some people who are not sure sort of use the term Bi as a stepping stone but with me I think I might be. I'm just scared of hurting people if it turns out a lean one way or the other.

You see, Bi to me is not black or white. It changes but right now I'm attracted to both men and women equally. This might be hard to understand for people. I'm just a little confused as to how to move forward with this. Do I just go "Yeah, I'm Bi" and just get on with my life.

Help :help:

2. Candide

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Your sexual/romantic life is your own, and sexuality is (or can be) very fluid. I identify as gay as I've never liked being in a sexual situation with a man and don't like the idea of being with a man, but I do like the idea of being with a woman. Could that change? Perhaps. Look at the people who thought they were totally straight then started to realise otherwise!

As your parents are very supportive, I'm sure they'll be just as supportive here. I'm sure they'd just want you to be happy :slight_smile: See where your new feelings take you! x

3. coolasacucumber

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Sexuality is different for everyone and how you identify is entirely up to you. You don't have to make a snap decision as to which way you're going to go. Life is a rollercoaster and part of that rollercoaster is, in my opinion, to experiment with men and women, romantically and sexually, and then see what you prefer.
    In time, you may find that you are 50/50 and like both equally, or you may find that although once upon a time you liked both equally, you now have a preference for one or the other. Both scenarios are entirely legitimate and the right person will accept you for you without the need for labels.

Rather than announcing to your parents that you're "bi", why not try saying to them what you said on here? That way they know exactly where you're at and can offer support.

Good luck xx

4. Sparrow19

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I understand what you are going through. I feel that many people have an easy time accepting someone as gay or straight, but bisexuality is a grey area. Most people want a clear definition, but with sexuality that is just now the case. Go with how you feel, be open with people when you want to be, but just remember that you don't owe anyone an explanation for your life.